Lions 2021

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Re: Lions 2021

Post by Bart S »

Lawes and Beirne are both more than capable of covering lock and Hendy is no longer a backrower.

Hendy needs to start or else he's not really a bench option with these guys involved.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

I would have started Beirne and had Lawes on the bench. Gatland loves the physicality Lawes brings.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

It doesn't appear that they are going to take SA on at the breakdown. It's a fairly attack minded backline from the lions not setup for a kick fest. Hopefully a good game.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Strikes me as a side built for high tempo to move the Boks around.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Garland is expecting a physical game from the BoKs hence Lawes over Beirne The surprises in the back row being really Conan and Curry but with the threat on the Wings Garland has gone for mobility in 7 and 8 rather than the grunt which Watson would provide.

Therefore the Subbing could be exit AJW with Lawes to the second row -- Beirne to 6 -- exit Curry and Watson to 7

Beirne providing more mobility then Lawes and Watson more grunt then Curry thus the balance of the back row being somewhat similar after the substitutions have been made.

Henderson was always AJW's replacement, if injured, but being a straight alternative isn't the best thing for a place on the bench if the subbing is as I believe it might and why
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Jesus can’t believe some think Cooney should be a Lions starter… always knew Garland would makes strong calls it’s what he does.. was surprised he made Murray captain though but had no doubt he would drop him as both other 9s looked better players…. This team will not be same that finishes the three tests so watch out for more changes
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Snipe Watson wrote:Strikes me as a side built for high tempo to move the Boks around.
With all the tests now at sea level that is entirely possible. Covid outbreaks in squads have shown a major disruption in terms of training and fitness. That said I thought South Africa 'A' looked pretty sharp.
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Kiwi TMO unable to travel to South Africa for test series, so instead we get homer TMO Marius Jonker for the test series, he did South Africa A v Lions game.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Neill_M wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:41 pm Kiwi TMO unable to travel to South Africa for test series, so instead we get homer TMO Marius Jonker for the test series, he did South Africa A v Lions game.
It's a bit of an unfiar position to put Jonker in. He could end up over compensating in the opposite direction.

Begs the question........ does the TMO even need to be in the stadium. Could he not be sitting at home?
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

UlsterNo9 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:09 am
Neill_M wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:41 pm Kiwi TMO unable to travel to South Africa for test series, so instead we get homer TMO Marius Jonker for the test series, he did South Africa A v Lions game.
It's a bit of an unfiar position to put Jonker in. He could end up over compensating in the opposite direction.

Begs the question........ does the TMO even need to be in the stadium. Could he not be sitting at home?
Indeed, if there is a 50/50 call, he can't win etc. Surely WR could have put an extra neutral official into the bubble to cover COVID issues.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Neill_M wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:23 am
UlsterNo9 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:09 am

Indeed, if there is a 50/50 call, he can't win etc. Surely WR could have put an extra neutral official into the bubble to cover COVID issues.
He'll be under serious scrutiny. All he has to do is refer everything to the ref and stay out of decisions. As long as he stays in his lane, I don't see a problem.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

I'd say banker will be making a big deal of this.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Dave wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:14 pm I'd say banker will be making a big deal of this.
Nah
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Snipe Watson wrote:
Dave wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:14 pm I'd say banker will be making a big deal of this.
Nah
K
tigerburnie
Warrior

Post by tigerburnie »

The Boks have played no rugby, I would not be surprised if the Lions win this by more than a score, their skipper has just recovered from covid, could struggle to play more than 40 minutes.