Is pro rugby as we know it finished?

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Is pro rugby as we know it finished?

Post by Snipe Watson »

Reading at the weekend that USA rugby has filed for bankruptcy "as a result of compounded and insurmountable financial constraints".
This is first domino to fall in all likelihood as RFU, NZR and ARU are each predicting massive losses north of £50m something has to give. Given that rugby's clubs and unions are mostly living hand to mouth. I'm wondering is the whole thing, as we know it, about to crumble into insolvency?

Then there's the club game....
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Re: Is pro rugby as we know it finished?

Post by solidarity »

Personally, I wouldn't miss professional rugby. What has it ever done for us (a bit like the Romans)?

Think about it, without pro rugby, we wouldn't have had Mike Gibson, Barry John, Serge Blanco, Andy Irvine, Colin Meads and maybe an Englishman or two! Aye right!
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

David Beckham, John pullin, Fran cotton, Andy Ripley............

And don't start on the Welsh!!
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

That was ,David Duckham!!

Bloody spellchecker
tigerburnie
Warrior

Post by tigerburnie »

There's going to be less money around for sure, how many sponsors of the game will have money to spare?
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

I'd be really sorry for the folk who lose their jobs and a bit less for players who have to get by on a lower salary (by the way, what sort of money are UR players on?) but amateur or semi-pro rugby would be ok.
nonplussed
Warrior Chief

Post by nonplussed »

not too bothered if it is, I've been enjoying matches at our local club where my boys play minis and youth rugby. Pints are cheaper, crowd is more accommodating and my wife is delighted that the taxi costs are much less than from Ravenhill.

I've been a ST holder for 15 odd years, my sons more recently, but we've all agreed not to renew, not for any other reason than my kids enjoy our club more, and have more freedom to roam. I'm sure there's quite a few in the same boat.

Local clubs may get a benefit from Covid in the long run
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

I wonder how many of our pro players would go back to the club game for the love it?
Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Post by Setanta »

Australia have finally come clean and admit they want to see Union and League merge. Perhaps we can now see the scrum and breakdown rules being applied!
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!
nonplussed
Warrior Chief

Post by nonplussed »

jean valjean wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:19 pm I wonder how many of our pro players would go back to the club game for the love it?
i think most would. A lot of retirees and those that get released already go back to club rugby for a time. WJMcB surmises in the Beltel today.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/spor ... 61024.html