Autumn Nations Cup aka 8 Nations

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

Dharper
Steward

Re: Autumn Nations Cup aka 8 Nations

Post by Dharper »

It’ll be interesting if Eng go for a conventional 5/3, or a 6/2 split on the bench.
I’d ideally like Ire to have a crack at Eng with a 6/2 to front them up physically, but we re would need Addison/Carberry involved to be able to go down that route.

There will be an inevitable scrumfest coming and Roux fits the bill and helps take the pressure off Ryan who’ll go the 80. IH off the bench for 30 will keep a physical edge especially if Eng go the 6/2 route.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Well England have got time to give it some thought.

Not sure what Farrell’s much-heralded innovation of naming the side this early is supposed to achieve.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

With a French referee the English will “ bore “ in every Irish put in and get the penalty to put the ball in the corner.

Keegan has at full back the experience of Lowe on the wing where as Stockdale had the inexperience of Keegan . He’s a steady enough player but highly overrated .
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Dharper
Steward

Post by Dharper »

Well we’ll find out on Saturday. I thought Keenan was pretty decent v wales. Yes he got turned over a couple of times - was that isolating himself, or players not working around him quickly enough - probably the former than the latter. That said he looked pretty solid, and far from a couple of opinions that he offered nothing in attack - a few times he had the ball in both hands and was looking to offload....which is probably the 7s player in him.
He made his tackles, only real concern for me is he is “slight” but he needs gametime to be assessed properly.

Looking at that Eng squad (esp the choice of forwards available) I expect 6/2 split. If ford is fit he’ll play with - Young’s ford Farrell & slade kicking us to death - back 3 of Joseph May Daly (robson and another on bench). Eddie will want to keep the edge over Ire, especially if he can beat us up physically while he’s at it.
The breakdown battle for decent attacking ball will be immense.
I’ll be keeping my eye on Kelleher- big test coming with likely Itoje starting at 6 for Eng, and by all accounts he likes to put himself about - well this is the pack to do it against.

Hopefully Leavy is picked v Cardiff Sunday - Ire have missed him dreadfully. Exactly the type of player we need.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Its the difference in mindset-- Stockdale goes for gap and into traffic ---Larmour Keegan look for space to run into and away from traffic -- looking for space they get isolated -- and if support fails to get there quickly --the get rag dolled -- lifted back with the ball still in hand because they are slight -- ie neither can run until stopped they either have to pass or kick.

Personally i doubt if Keegan is the future to be honest but with injuries and inexperience of those who might be the future he seems to have a level head and but lacking the spark to win games he 's not going to be the one to lose it either.

Stockdale on the other hand can either win or lose the game for you . On this occasion the selection has the appearance of a side picked not to lose rather than to win thus lose by a narrow margin
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Keegan is very much the past. Cracking head of hair, mind.
tigerburnie
Warrior

Post by tigerburnie »

Looks like the game against Georgia was as I suspected a sparring match for the forwards, looks like Eddie thinks England can win the fight up front, expect a lot of 10 man rugby again, just hope I don't fall asleep watching it.
England: Daly; Joseph, Lawrence, Slade, May; Farrell (capt), Youngs; M Vunipola, George, Sinckler; Itoje, Launchbury; Curry, Underhill, B Vunipola.

Replacements: Dunn, Genge, Stuart, Hill, Earl, Robson, Ford, Malins.
Dublin4
Warrior Assassin

Post by Dublin4 »

Who's this chap, Keegan? Not Kevin Keegan, no?
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Dublin4 wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:55 pm Who's this chap, Keegan? Not Kevin Keegan, no?
That's the joke.
TopPoster
Initiate

Post by TopPoster »

Shocking defence from Keenan and Lowe - shouldn’t be seen in green again 😂
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Ireland will get minced.
TopPoster
Initiate

Post by TopPoster »

Indeed. Laughing my ass off already. I’m sure they’ll bring on the Ulster contingent at some point to get the blame.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

TopPoster wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:27 pm Indeed. Laughing my ass off already. I’m sure they’ll bring on the Ulster contingent at some point to get the blame.
The biggest problem will be the replacement props.

breakdown is a mare.
Dharper
Steward

Post by Dharper »

Agreed Snipe re potential scrum woes to come.

Same mistakes.....kicking for corner, mistakes, turnovers.....kick the points, build into the game.
Keenan looks like a decent u14 in an u16 game.
germcevoy
Initiate

Post by germcevoy »

Absolutely bullied all over the pitch.