Autumn Nations Cup aka 8 Nations

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Re: Autumn Nations Cup aka 8 Nations

Post by justinr73 »

Most of them weren’t tonight but, in pure rugby terms, Stu offers more in the centre than Farrell.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

As for the other thing, I’ve a different perspective as a cricket-loving Lionel who grew up watching sport in the ‘80s. My memories of the likes of Lamby and Judge fighting manfully for the shirt are exclusively fond ones.
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

I see Farrell is not ruling out playing Murray at 10 v England next week if there are injury concerns, joke shop just because he is on a central contract. The Byrnes at Leinster, Carty in Galway and our own Ian Madigan must be going WTF
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

I've already reached the conclusion this tournament is a big pile of keek. Covid affected before a ball was kicked, a match the night that felt totally meaningless and 2 unappetizing fixtures to complete the w/e.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Jetstream
Squire

Post by Jetstream »

That was one of the worst Welsh teams I have ever seen. According to C4 stats during the game Ireland lost 3 lineouts. If Rory or Herring produced those figures Dublin media would be shouting it from the rooftops. Keegan was okay at 15 but there was no ball kicked to him, he got penalised twice and offered little attacking threat.
Lowe got his debut try but it was a blatant forward pass. Ed Byrne snd Bealham got minced in the scrums but no place for O'Sullivan, Moore or McGrath. Quinn Roux will probably start against England for his bulk. I hope Stockdale and Henderson miss out . They are better away from this game.
We will get turned over by England in the second half next week. It could be ugly.
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

In other news Argentina beat New Zealand 25-15....yup
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Neill_M wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:56 am In other news Argentina beat New Zealand 25-15....yup
Close to a full strength AB team an’ all.

They keep picking the wrong inside centre though.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Jetstream wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:56 am That was one of the worst Welsh teams I have ever seen. According to C4 stats during the game Ireland lost 3 lineouts. If Rory or Herring produced those figures Dublin media would be shouting it from the rooftops. Keegan was okay at 15 but there was no ball kicked to him, he got penalised twice and offered little attacking threat.
Lowe got his debut try but it was a blatant forward pass. Ed Byrne snd Bealham got minced in the scrums but no place for O'Sullivan, Moore or McGrath. Quinn Roux will probably start against England for his bulk. I hope Stockdale and Henderson miss out . They are better away from this game.
We will get turned over by England in the second half next week. It could be ugly.
Hard to disagree with that.

Lowe played well enough tbf.

Gatland should be concerned. Most of his go-to players don’t have much left in the tank.
TopPoster
Initiate

Post by TopPoster »

Yep. Agree, hope no Ulster players are near the starting 15 next week when England mince them. Will be funny seeing who the southerners try to blame then. No doubt Stockdale screwed up the training or preparation or the backs are so poor because they’re used to playing with Stockdale who brings them down etc etc. I mean clearly he’s at fault for the Loop’s hammy as if the conditioning staff weren’t dealing with Stockdale’s calf issue they’d have warmed the Loop up properly.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

big mervyn wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:58 am I've already reached the conclusion this tournament is a big pile of keek. Covid affected before a ball was kicked, a match the night that felt totally meaningless and 2 unappetizing fixtures to complete the w/e.
Not like you to be so imperceptive Merv.
I had it written off as soon as it was announced.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

That was a terrible Welsh performance, Alun Wyn Jones may still offer leadership but he is a shadow of his former self, there are quite a few of his vintage looking on their way out also. I was hoping for a competitive Wales under Pivac bringing some of the style of rugby that brought the Scarlets success but alas it doesn't seem to be. There are complaints from most corners about Farrell picking same old same old, but if he had and was currently sitting in the same position as Pivac with six losses from seven games in charge the same corners would be calling for his head.

With regards to his comments on Murray at out half, I picked it up that he was delighted how Murray performed out of position, which I whole heartedly agree with. Starting him next week verus England at out half was very much tongue in cheek, I'll eat the contents of the bin in Shane Logans bunker if that happens.

It is disappointing to see Byrne and Bealham get opportunities ahead of McGrath, O'Sullivan and Moore (add O'Toole if not injured). On the scrum half debate JGP had an armchair ride last night, we absolutely blitzed the Welsh upfront, though his speed around the part and distribution was superb, it meant the Wlesh defence struggled to get set and put real momentum into our game. As good a performance from an Irish scrum half in a while albeit in a comfortable game. I'd back him again to start against England.

As for the tournament itself.... meh >seeya I suppose I'm just glad there is rugby back on the TV after months of nahin.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Dublin4
Warrior Assassin

Post by Dublin4 »

We now know that Gatland kept Wales afloat over the last decade and managed to hide their shortcomings. The Welsh clubs in the Pro 14 are abysmal and that standard looks like the level their international side will be at.
This is a pity because we need them to be competitive for the sake of the sport.
Dharper
Steward

Post by Dharper »

Wales are dreadfully underpowered in the front 5, and by all accounts very little coming through the ranks to supplement a declining AWJ in the regions. They have decent backrow options once navidi & moriarty back, and backs too look okay. A fit and firing Jon Davies will be a must for them. For me Liam Williams needs to play 15, wasted on wing.

Re UR McGrath is managing his body re injury for rest of career as mentioned by Luke Fitz - Id doubt he’d be wrong - I doubt he’ll play for Ire again (more than a couple of games anyway) or mm for that matter. I get the impression that they both need regular game time for conditioning. Hopefully ToT & EOS both look to be firm starters for UR - hopefully forcing Ire hand re int selection going forward.
Porter looks be be progressing v nicely at TH incidentally.

As an aside I thought Farrell was excellent at 13. Defensively very sound and aggressive, and consistently got over the gainline taking more than 1 defender with him. Want to see him against a physical Eng. Ringrose is a silky player.....but he misses tackles, and is a soaker.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

I watched Argentina beat NZ today. A very well deserved win and the passion of the Argentinians was immense. Tears all round at the end. Also a very good reaction from the All Blacks at the end.

All a big contrast to the 8 nations, who cares, championship. By the way, shame to see Georgia not get a point against the English. I'd like to see them join the 6 Nations, partly to have more competition for Italy, partly to bring on rugby in Georgia.
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

Byrne and Bealham will get found out against England in the scrums, not sure what the crack is with McGrath but would have thought McGrath or Moore would offer better scrummaging options for Ireland.