Please can we suspend the Stockdale fullback experiment

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

UlsterJock
Initiate

Please can we suspend the Stockdale fullback experiment

Post by UlsterJock »

He might be a great guy and a good rugby player. But given the performance yesterday and indeed form over the last 18 months, is it not time to admit the experiment should be suspended? It would also allow Ulster to play someone in their back line who actually was consistent/knew the position (e.g L Ludik) rather than being the IRFU puppet. Not to say he shouldn’t be playing for Ulster or as fullback, but time in A’s to work on your form, mind set and position skill set might be what’s required?
Some hae meat and canna eat, And some wad eat that want it;
But we hae meat, and we can eat, Sae let the Lord be thankit.
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Please can we suspend the Stockdale fullback experiment

Post by Jackie Brown »

Would Leinster and Cullen allow the IRFU to dictate who plays where in key positions? I doubt it.
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

I imagine having half of your depth chart distributed across the three other Provinces would be more irritating.
for dog and ulcer
Lord Chancellor

Post by for dog and ulcer »

100% in agreement. Stockdale is not a fullback. I was astonished to hear claims from the Ireland camp that he had performed well for Ulster in that position. I must have missed those games. He is a talented winger and should stay in that position. Playing Ulster players out of position in the Ireland side has a long history. Jared Payne and Paddy Wallace are two examples.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Not totally in agreement with all this as a winger he has on occasion been found wanting defensively as well .

he had a reasonable game against Italy at full back. The game against France was always going to be more difficult and even more so with a wet ball. The French were always going to target the back 3 a wing and full back with about 10 caps between them in those positions.

And out half who kicks a running lob in behind the defensive centres -- defend deep and your facing a two man attack -- defend the lob and your chasing back . I doubt if any body would have volunteered for foolback yesterday.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

He was a decent winger with a knack of intercepting a pass but who was soon found wanting in defence... Ireland appear happy with there wing options enough to experiment with Stockdale at FB... yesterday I found he made mistakes that undoubtedly will be picked apart by press demanding another Leinster player..

For the record I don’t think I have ever sen him have an outstanding game for Ulster at 15 and would have Ludik there any day..
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

He's still very young as a full back so I'd give him more time. It's unfair for him almost always to be playing under pressure, that is, in big games for Ulster or in internationals. How can we get him more game time without the pressure?
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Agree with the sentiments above. Addison is the heir apparent at 15 for both ulster and Ireland if he can sort out the injury. Him at 15 with balacoune and stockdale on the wings is the best back 3 of any of the provinces. Jacob is a stop gap for now and we will have to suck it up.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

germcevoy
Initiate

Post by germcevoy »

No better time to persist with the fullback experiment than in November. He had a shocker yesterday and he seems to be more unlucky than some in that his errors often leads to points conceded (true in both the England game and again last night). Having a fit Addison would be ideal but I'm not sure that fella is ever going to be fit for long enough to lock down a spot anywhere.

It's clear that Ireland wants a strong full back and Larmour is simply too small to fit the specification set out. My worry for Stockdale is that if he can't make the 15 shirt happen that he will be dropped altogether. James Lowe is literally waiting in the wings and that man can tackle then be ready for another tackle within seconds. Interesting times.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Lamour also has the unwanted need to run out of defence away from his support to be an effective attacker.Stockdale also has the advantage in the distance he can kick a ball.

Stockdale has some problems at this level with concentration, positioning , and timing, of those positioning is the most important because it provides time and the ability to concentrate on the ball .positioning comes with experience . At lower levels of the game a player like Stockdale benefits from his pace to over come his errors in positioning In professional rugby pace does not have the same benefits . in fact the Toulouse game exposed the failures of pace over positioning when trying to cover a fast wing -- you frequently over commit.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

jean valjean wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:08 pm Agree with the sentiments above. Addison is the heir apparent at 15 for both ulster and Ireland if he can sort out the injury. Him at 15 with balacoune and stockdale on the wings is the best back 3 of any of the provinces. Jacob is a stop gap for now and we will have to suck it up.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Addison was an injury waiting to happen before he came here.... an undoubted talent but his history at Sale showed he already had serious injury issues before he ever appeared here..
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU