Post by Don_Alfonso »

Lowry. Just training with them?
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Ireland Summer Tour (at home) 2021

Post by Dave »

Screenshot_20210701-135708_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20210701-135708_Instagram.jpg (159.91 KiB) Viewed 3279 times
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Channel 4 & RTE 2 showing game - someone in D4 didn't update their team image from 6 Nations. Game is 1pm KO BST, not GMT >EW
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Nice hands from big Stu for the try.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Japan are a breath of fresh air. I love how they play. Nothing is predictable. Always having a go. Incredible ball handling.
WestDr
Novice

Post by WestDr »

As depressing as watching Leinster v Ulster..... one team trying to play attractive attacking rugby using all the players and all the pitch, the other content to hammer away in the middle and let forwards score from 5 yards out. Next time Japan tour, please can we get them at Ravenhill ?

Keenan - to quote Murray Kinsella 'a rock as usual'. Lot of time for Mr Kinsella, but Japan scored 4, nay nearly 5, tries. What did Keenan actually do in that match ? Agree that he couldn't come into the line like Jared Payne or attack like Will Addison as (a) Japan rarely kicked to him and (b) it seemed like the plan was that the ball went no further than McCloskey or at best Chris Farrell. And for the Japanese 4th try, just look at the tackle made on the Japanese player who had passed the ball about 5 seconds previously..... the sort of tackle a school-boy makes when he knows he's been well beaten but wants it to look like he's really really trying....

As the u-20s discovered last night, if your tactic is to score via the forwards, once a team can match your forwards and stop them playing, then it's all about the creativity and invention of your backs. Last night the u-20s comprehensively failed that test - in fact I can't recall them putting any worthwhile phase of back-play together - but in absolute fairness at that level it's an enormous amount to ask of them. As for Ireland, I'd even go so far as to suggest that if Japan had not played the B&I Lions last week and/or had a week's extra rest, then it would have gone beyond the 70th minute as a contest. What struck me more than anything was the sheer number of Japanese players all looking for/expecting that the ball would come out of the tackle/the pass would be made before the tackle. It's like it wasn't just Cooney or Shanahan running a trailing/support line, but Moore, Treadwell, Reidy and Marshall too !

Japan get the ball in their own 22 and play it out, retaining the ball. Ireland get the ball in their 22 and Carbery kicks it out, giving Japan the ball. Japan rarely kicked the ball out - which tells me how much they fear Ireland's broken play attack (...not a lot...). And to hear Luke Fitz-f....gerald say that 'the Irish tactics of kicking contestable kicks' is good is stupidity personified - to go from 100% certainty (as you have the ball) to at best 50% certainty is as nonsensical as it sounds.... You score tries when you have the ball, not the opposition, so why give it to them ? After all, they might be much better with it than you are....

If the future of rugby is anything, it's got to be Harlequins 2 games v Bristol and Exeter or the Japanese approach. Not the turgid fare of sub-Schmidt ball. When Farell gets the sack, please can we have Pat Lam ?

Rant over.
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

WestDr wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:01 pm As depressing as watching Leinster v Ulster..... one team trying to play attractive attacking rugby using all the players and all the pitch, the other content to hammer away in the middle and let forwards score from 5 yards out. Next time Japan tour, please can we get them at Ravenhill ?

Keenan - to quote Murray Kinsella 'a rock as usual'. Lot of time for Mr Kinsella, but Japan scored 4, nay nearly 5, tries. What did Keenan actually do in that match ? Agree that he couldn't come into the line like Jared Payne or attack like Will Addison as (a) Japan rarely kicked to him and (b) it seemed like the plan was that the ball went no further than McCloskey or at best Chris Farrell. And for the Japanese 4th try, just look at the tackle made on the Japanese player who had passed the ball about 5 seconds previously..... the sort of tackle a school-boy makes when he knows he's been well beaten but wants it to look like he's really really trying....

As the u-20s discovered last night, if your tactic is to score via the forwards, once a team can match your forwards and stop them playing, then it's all about the creativity and invention of your backs. Last night the u-20s comprehensively failed that test - in fact I can't recall them putting any worthwhile phase of back-play together - but in absolute fairness at that level it's an enormous amount to ask of them. As for Ireland, I'd even go so far as to suggest that if Japan had not played the B&I Lions last week and/or had a week's extra rest, then it would have gone beyond the 70th minute as a contest. What struck me more than anything was the sheer number of Japanese players all looking for/expecting that the ball would come out of the tackle/the pass would be made before the tackle. It's like it wasn't just Cooney or Shanahan running a trailing/support line, but Moore, Treadwell, Reidy and Marshall too !

Japan get the ball in their own 22 and play it out, retaining the ball. Ireland get the ball in their 22 and Carbery kicks it out, giving Japan the ball. Japan rarely kicked the ball out - which tells me how much they fear Ireland's broken play attack (...not a lot...). And to hear Luke Fitz-f....gerald say that 'the Irish tactics of kicking contestable kicks' is good is stupidity personified - to go from 100% certainty (as you have the ball) to at best 50% certainty is as nonsensical as it sounds.... You score tries when you have the ball, not the opposition, so why give it to them ? After all, they might be much better with it than you are....

If the future of rugby is anything, it's got to be Harlequins 2 games v Bristol and Exeter or the Japanese approach. Not the turgid fare of sub-Schmidt ball. When Farell gets the sack, please can we have Pat Lam ?

Rant over.
Your first sentence was bang on the money from what I saw, basically playing the Leinster way. Certainly if the one and only aim was to win then you would expect to be able to beat Japan in the forwards. Would rather we play younger players with higher ceilings than average players who are never going to be much better. Guess I'm thinking of the half backs there, JGP, Carberry and Burns none I feel are going to get any better than where they are now.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Joey is a shadow of the Prince he fails to enable his backline to play .

Ireland wanted to win and played to a perceived weakness to match the Irish forwards . The Irish backs were not assisted by injuries and playing outside two kicking half backs .

Kicking to the Japanese of course is foolishness they will run it back and their game is one based on quickly trying to find a player in space and supporting him

Keenan has a sound game when facing a side who kick to you but lacks the ability to add flair to the backline and defensively one on one doesn’t inspire confidence behind a weak wing .

The comments on 42 about x y z playing well and having a good game are basically those people who have tunnel vision — the pack performed — the backs stuttered - and the tactics won the game .
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Just thinking why I wanted Japan to win and Ireland to lose that game...

Japan played open entertaining rugby, really good to watch.
In every match where you don't really care who wins, suport the underdog.
The Ginger Prince wasn't playing (of course he might not have played anyway... being with the Lions!).
Haven't forgotten how the IRFU teated Ruan (we don't do 'forgetting' in this part of the world).

Give me a couple of minutes and I'll think of a few more.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Ulster prospects against the USA?

Herring must be in with a shout of being skipper?

Addison looks to be the most likely option at 13, with Tom Daly at 12 and Hume on the bench.

Bobby B and TOT could well start.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

The USA are dung so time to blood some nippers.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

a secondWrong call

Addison could be the full back with Hume in the centre inside centre is the question mark will McCloskey get a second bite.

If Daly gets swho econd cap Farrell should be sacked there are players who improve when playing at a higher level and there are those who don't and in my book Daly is in the latter camp .
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

I’m unclear, Rum, if you’re aware that there are two guys called Daly in the squad.

Shane, the Munster back three/utility back, won his second cap against Japan, whilst Tom, the six foot four Connacht centre, is still to make his debut.

Farrell called Tom to say he’d just missed out on the 6N squad and, as Boris Johnson may have put it, if he doesn’t get a start against the USA then when will he?

Addison could of course play 15 but I dunno if Farrell would play two uncapped centres.

Not many options at 7 so maybe JVDF captains.
Silverstu
Initiate

Post by Silverstu »

15. Hugo Keenan (UCD/Leinster) 12 caps
14. Robert Baloucoune (Enniskillen/Ulster) uncapped
13. James Hume (Banbridge/Ulster) uncapped
12. Stuart McCloskey (Bangor/Ulster) 5 caps
11. Andrew Conway (Garryowen/Munster) 24 caps
10. Joey Carbery (Clontarf/Munster) 23 caps
9. Craig Casey (Shannon/Munster) 2 caps
1. Dave Kilcoyne (UL Bohemians/Munster) 44 caps
2. Ronan Kelleher (Lansdowne/Leinster) 12 caps
3. Tom O’Toole (Ballynahinch/Ulster) uncapped
4. Ryan Baird (Dublin University/Leinster) 4 caps
5. James Ryan (UCD/Leinster) 36 caps captain
6. Caelan Doris (St Mary’s College/Leinster) 8 caps
7. Nick Timoney (Banbridge/Ulster) uncapped
8. Gavin Coombes (Young Munster/Munster) 1 cap

Replacements
16. Dave Heffernan (Buccaneers/Connacht) 5 caps
17. Ed Byrne (UCD/Leinster) 5 caps
18. Finlay Bealham (Buccaneers/Connacht) 15 caps
19. Fineen Wycherley (Young Munster/Munster) uncapped
20. Paul Boyle (Buccaneers/Connacht) uncapped
21. Caolin Blade (Galwegians/Connacht) uncapped
22. Harry Byrne (Lansdowne/Leinster) uncapped
23. Will Addison (Enniskillen/Ulster) 4 caps

Great to see O'Toole, Hume, Timoney and Balacoune getting starts, looking forward to this.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Nice to see Enniskillen having 2 players listed in the 23. Not bad for a junior club .

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk