12 a side wacky rugby idea

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

Bart S
Lord Chancellor

12 a side wacky rugby idea

Post by Bart S »

https://www.the42.ie/world-12s-rugby-5542555-Sep2021/

Really don't see the point in this in an already crowded rugby calendar.
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Re: 12 a side wacky rugby idea

Post by Neill_M »

Tweaked version of 7s, no need for it.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

'unprecedented prize money' Well, who would have guessed?

'The tournament already has backing from ... a consortium of private investors.' Well, who would have guessed?

Two words: player welfare. If they're looking at the world's best players, the guys will have had a full league season, probably including a cup run or two, autumn and summer internationals and be in preseason training in August. It's madness but, if it's a money-spinner, who's going to care?
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Same nut cases trying to exploit the game for their own ends

Can't see any Irish players being keen to sign up to it if the their provincial contract and possible Irish caps are at stake . The Welsh might bite if they are given a slice of the money. The NZRFU would be in the same boat as the Welsh --only if -- most other Unions would have to few players of the standard being touted to approve their release to put money in the hands of idiots .

The game doesn't need additional formats or competitions -- it needs the Laws altered to lessen the advantage of fat forwards -- the use of body weight and forearms to break tackles rather than a hand off -- pre-binding before the tackle -- and the removal of the advantage of a THROW IN WHEN KICKING A PENALTY INTO TOUCH INSIDE THE OPPONENTS 22

The latter wastes time as the forwards slowly assemble for the throw which frequent starts a maul which is illegally dropped by either side to achieve another penalty and a repeat performance of the line followed by maul and a bunch of forward prebinding blocking or lying on the ball for about 5 minutes it boring and normally results in a try being awarded were none of the spectators have a clue who scored and requires the referee to go to the TMO to confirm the try

A boring bullsh-t which encourages a negative approach as teams wait for the penalty to given to enable them to kick for the corner.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

I hear this plan has been abandoned because the WRU wouldn't agree to 12 a side. They were insisting on 12 v 11 1/2, so it retained similarities to the 15s game.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Bart S wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:24 pm https://www.the42.ie/world-12s-rugby-5542555-Sep2021/

I heard Italy are in favour and intended trialing it in one of their 6N matches this year, but apparently their opposition didn't play ball and kept 15 on for the whole match.

Pretty sneaky if you ask me. :roll:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 3:22 am
Bart S wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:24 pm https://www.the42.ie/world-12s-rugby-5542555-Sep2021/

I heard Italy are in favour and intended trialing it in one of their 6N matches this year, but apparently their opposition didn't play ball and kept 15 on for the whole match.

Pretty sneaky if you ask me. :roll:
Aha, now it all makes sense. :D :D
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

solidarity wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:59 pm 'unprecedented prize money' Well, who would have guessed?

'The tournament already has backing from ... a consortium of private investors.' Well, who would have guessed?

Two words: player welfare. If they're looking at the world's best players, the guys will have had a full league season, probably including a cup run or two, autumn and summer internationals and be in preseason training in August. It's madness but, if it's a money-spinner, who's going to care?

Similar concept to golfs recent nonsense for which I was glad to see Trump's mate Rory Mackillroy partially redeem himself by taking the only big-name golfer to go for the idea, Phil "who could turn down a few more million" McIlson totask, not missing and hitting the wall, calling Mick's integrity to account.

LOOK, rugby is a 15 man game, 7777777s is crap, 13-man "5 tackles and a kick" is rubbish.

#LEAVEITYOUSLAGS
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.