And today, joining the underground .....

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Re: And today, joining the underground .....

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

John Dawes - former Welsh captain and coach - RIP.

Dawes was synonymous with Welsh rugby in the days when I was first interested and learning about rugby, so much so that I initially thought that rugby was the prime sport in Wales and that Wales were the dominant team in British and Irish rugby.

TBF, they were the dominant team at that time, with some of the greats of all time, but it took a while for the penny to drop with me, that it hadn't always been that way, nor would it continue like that.

Respect though to a great player of his day, both with Wales and The Lions - still the only Lions team to win a series in NZ.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
mid ulster maestro
Warrior Chief

Post by mid ulster maestro »

And he was on the team in probably the greatest rugby match ever played. Ba Bas v the All Blacks in 1973.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwCbG4I0QyA
When the bottom has fallen out of your world.
Take Enos and let the world fall out of your bottom!
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

mid ulster maestro wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:56 am And he was on the team in probably the greatest rugby match ever played. Ba Bas v the All Blacks in 1973.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwCbG4I0QyA
and had a hand in that try! :cheers:
I'm not arguing -
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Polly Gray is no more. What are Tommy and Awfar gonna do now?
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

and apparently Heaven Can't Wait ... or maybe unlike the bad girls, he can't go everywhere :shock:

He came to us like a Bat out of Hell, and now apparently he's gone Back to Hell where he can be Bad for Good.

It certainly was one hell of a ride - RIP Jim Steinman - a true original.

Cue any number of song related trivia such as Bonnie Tyler was Holding out for a Hero, while having a Total Eclipse of the Heart, or Celine Dion can think, It's all Coming Back to me Now - there must be hundreds and no doubt some will be posted on here. Well if you do, you took the words right out of my mouth.

Anyone enjoyed Paradise by the Dashboard Light? You may have been doubly blessed, but stop right there (I gotta know right now) before we go any further - you'll just end up praying for the end of time. Baseball's a stoopid game anyway. :roll:
I'm not arguing -
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Snipe Watson wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:05 am Polly Gray is no more. What are Tommy and Awfar gonna do now?
A fine actress - and hubby has paid particularly moving tributes to her that say more than I can muster. They seem to have had something special there and she's gone too soon. :(
I'm not arguing -
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Steinman wrote some fabulous lyrics. I wonder why he only did one album on his own.
colind
Squire

Post by colind »

solidarity wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:51 pm Steinman wrote some fabulous lyrics. I wonder why he only did one album on his own.
As far as I'm aware Steinmans album (Bad For Good) was supposed to be a Meatloaf album (follow up to 'Bat') but Mr Loaf had vocal problems and couldn't sing for a few years so Steinman recorded the album himself.

Some of the songs later featured on a couple of later Meatloaf albums.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

colind wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:29 pm
solidarity wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:51 pm Steinman wrote some fabulous lyrics. I wonder why he only did one album on his own.
As far as I'm aware Steinmans album (Bad For Good) was supposed to be a Meatloaf album (follow up to 'Bat') but Mr Loaf had vocal problems and couldn't sing for a few years so Steinman recorded the album himself.
That is my undrstanding.

He then went on to write Bat out of Hell II - Back into Hell which became Mr Loaf's follow up album to Bat out of Hell (despite Mr Loaf releasing several other albums in the interim but without the Steinman involvement)

Messrs Steinman and Loaf didn't have the most harmonious of relationships at various times in their careers, and that was Meatloaf's loss, imo.
I'm not arguing -
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Come on, own up, how many of you cool dudes danced to the, now late, Les McKeown?
For our younger readers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVxAj-Mis6o
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

solidarity wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:37 pm Come on, own up, how many of you cool dudes danced to the, now late, Les McKeown?
A lot of my mates got tickets to go see them in (possibly? ) Ulster Hall in mid 70s. Somewhere in Belfast anyway. It is my proud boast that I turned down a free ticket and spent a boring night on my own instead of shang-a-lang-a langing along to them. :D

Fair play to them they came here when many others wouldn't though. I suppose Belfast at the height of the bombing campaign was still preferable to Glasgae though. :lol:

I will confess though that I do listen with fond memories if any of their songs come on radio now, or if Mrs Grumpy is playing one of her "Jackie sounds of the 70s" mixed CDs. Memories not so much of them, but just of the times and being a teenager back then.

Nowadays I can even listen to Donny Osmond, David Cassidy and a few others I wouldn't have given the time of day to, but I suppose it's all part of reminiscing about the times, and they bring back other memories of the time.

I.E. Tis a part of getting old! :lol:
I'm not arguing -
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:35 am
solidarity wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:37 pm Come on, own up, how many of you cool dudes danced to the, now late, Les McKeown?
A lot of my mates got tickets to go see them in (possibly? ) Ulster Hall in mid 70s. Somewhere in Belfast anyway. It is my proud boast that I turned down a free ticket and spent a boring night on my own instead of shang-a-lang-a langing along to them. :D

Fair play to them they came here when many others wouldn't though. I suppose Belfast at the height of the bombing campaign was still preferable to Glasgae though. :lol:
ABC
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

Ramore head, car park, early 80s?, Free , sponsored by Council.
Bollock freezing
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

BR wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:53 pm
Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:35 am

ABC
Could have been - as I said, I didn't go to it.

Were you there?
I'm not arguing -
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Bobbievee wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:04 pm Ramore head, car park, early 80s?, Free , sponsored by Council.
Bollock freezing
Last time I checked, Ramore Head wasn't in Belfast, so definitely not there for the gig I was talking about.
I'm not arguing -