And today, joining the underground .....

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Re: And today, joining the underground .....

Post by justinr73 »

big mervyn wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:25 am Have to say, when you come across a seemingly decent cove like Brokenshire or Rory Stewart my first thought is "what the absolute f*ck were you/are you doing in the Tory Party?"
They soon get spotted and kept at arm’s length.

A sad day in Preston and in the racing world.

RIP Mr Hemmings. :salut:
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

big mervyn wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:19 pm Boycie has gone to the great car dealership in the sky.

This is probably the funniest thing he was involved in albeit unintentionally:

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8cnmz
David Amess, another "Brass Eye victim "
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Gunther, AKA James Michael Tyler, has shuffled off this mortal coil to spend less time with Friends.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:05 am Gunther, AKA James Michael Tyler, has shuffled off this mortal coil to spend less time with Friends.
... some might say more.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

The late latte maker will be fondly remembered.

He’d probably get done for sexual harassment these days but, at the time, I admired his persistence.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

big mervyn wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:01 pm
Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:05 am Gunther, AKA James Michael Tyler, has shuffled off this mortal coil to spend less time with Friends.
... some might say more.
"more"
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Tighthead Prod
Novice

Post by Tighthead Prod »

The sad passing of a great Frontrow Forward.

''Sandy Carmichael, former Scotland, Lions and Barbarians prop, dies aged 77
Carmichael earned 50 caps for Scotland, was part of the 1971 and 1974 Lions tours and played in the Barbarians' most famous outing, in 1973

By
Daniel Schofield,
DEPUTY RUGBY UNION CORRESPONDENT
27 October 2021 • 9:59pm

The grandson of a Scotland football international, Sandy Carmichael was a skilful hockey player who instead found his calling in the front row
The epitome of Scottish stoicism and one of the finest props of his generation, Sandy Carmichael passed away on Wednesday night aged 77.

Carmichael was part of the successful Lions to New Zealand in 1971 and South Africa in 1974 as well as making 50 Test appearances for Scotland in an era where caps were far harder to accrue. He was also a member of the the Barbarians’ famous victory against New Zealand in Cardiff in 1973, which can be regarded as a degree of karma for the events of two years earlier when Carmichael seemed destined to start for the Lions against the All Blacks.

That was until a shameful provincial match against Canterbury, widely accepted as the dirtiest match in Lions history. Carmichael was punched repeatedly in the face at the scrum and in one instance kicked in the head at a ruck. He was left with multiple cheek fractures. The subsequent photograph of his facial scars is one of rugby’s most iconic if grizzly images.

Carmichael suffered five cheek fractures in one match against New Zealand in 1971 - The subsequent photograph of his facial scars is one of rugby’s most iconic if grizzly images
Carmichael suffered five cheek fractures in one match against New Zealand in 1971
Yet Carmichael never identified the assailant of his assault that robbed him of his Test place against the All Blacks. In an interview with The Scotsman in 2015, he was determined to keep it a secret so the matter would stay alive. “Nae chance,” he says, “I’m taking the guy to my grave.”

The grandson of a Scotland football international, Carmichael was a skilful hockey player who instead found his calling in the front row, first at loosehead and then at tighthead. Carmichael treated scrummaging as a science, relying just as much on technique as he did on his raw strength. He was renowned for his ability to scrum off one leg so he could sweep the ball back on the scrum-half’s feed.

Yet he was also mobile around the field and made two crucial try-saving tackles in the 1969 Five Nations victory against France. Representing his country from 1967 to 1977, he became the first Scotland player to win 50 caps.

However, he suffered for such longevity. He retired from rugby in 1978 because of arthritis in his spinal cord. Aged 42, he underwent the first of what would be five hip replacements. He needed multiple other parts of his body replacing and lost count of the number of operations he underwent. He told the Irish Independent in 2005: “I take so many pills, I rattle.”

Again he never complained about the steep price he paid for a decade at the coalface. In a statement the Scottish Rugby Union said: “He was a giant of the game in Scotland in many ways and our thoughts and condolences go to his friends and family.”
http://www.thefru.co.uk Valiant for Truth Justice and the Ulster Way.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:37 am
big mervyn wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:01 pm
... some might say more.
"more"
Not necessarily.
... some (people) might say more (about his relationships with the Friends).
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Davey Tweed - bike crash.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

BR wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:22 pm Davey Tweed - bike crash.
Time to meet your maker David Tweed
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

The maker made Hitler. FFS.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

If man has a freewill --- then Hitler made Hitler

Totally Woke to to say God made Hitler --- The ultimate Blame Game --- Its God's fault I'm a sinner .
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

God supposedly created the job lot:

The man, the sin, murderous intent, the brain to conceive it, the body to carry it out...

He knew it was going to happen (apparently). That is joint enterprise.

At the very least he could have stopped it, therefore gross negligence. Lock him up, ffs.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Dave wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:39 pm
At the very least he could have stopped it, therefore gross negligence. Lock him up, ffs.
Does God* have a duty of care over man?

I would argue, He does not.

*christiany type God (white, male, big beard, sits about on fluffy clouds - you know the one)
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

BR wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:51 pm
*christiany type God (white, male, big beard, sits about on fluffy clouds - you know the one)
I'm not familiar with this characterisation of God in Christian teaching.
Strikes me more like how God was depicted in paintings and frescoes over the centuries.