President Martin

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

blandy
Novice

President Martin

Post by blandy »

What if Martin gets voted in as the south's president?

I have never been a fan of even the current incumbent being wheeled out at the start of Internationals, I would be particularly unimpressed with Martin being wheeled out.

Should the tradition be suspended given his background? Should players be allowed to opt out of having to shake hands with him?

Thoughts and comments please.
OneMore
Warrior Chief

Re: President Martin

Post by OneMore »

blandy wrote:What if Martin gets voted in as the south's president?

I have never been a fan of even the current incumbent being wheeled out at the start of Internationals, I would be particularly unimpressed with Martin being wheeled out.

Should the tradition be suspended given his background? Should players be allowed to opt out of having to shake hands with him?

Thoughts and comments please.
Gee if only there had been a thread discussing the Irish presidency on this forum already...
notj
Steward

Post by notj »

It would be completely inappropriate for players to refuse to shake hands with any head of state they are publically introduced to. For the same reasons players don't make fun of the Haka or talk amongst themselves during the opposition's anthems. There's something called manners and protocol that the players are meant to uphold once they pull on a green jersey to represent Ireland. The idea that a player representing Ireland should be allowed to pubnlically snub the President of Ireland is ridiculous

Remember this; it's not the person protocol demands you respect, it's the office they hold.
theCloudSpotter
Initiate

Post by theCloudSpotter »

notj wrote:It would be completely inappropriate for players to refuse to shake hands with any head of state they are publically introduced to.
Would Henry Olonga and Andy Flower shake Mugabe's hand? I'd understand them if they chose not to...I digress. Just a thought.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

theCloudSpotter wrote:
notj wrote:It would be completely inappropriate for players to refuse to shake hands with any head of state they are publically introduced to.
Would Henry Olonga and Andy Flower shake Mugabe's hand? I'd understand them if they chose not to...I digress. Just a thought.
You would understand the action but as notj says, it is a convention not a matter matter of showing support or for that matter disapproval.

I'm sure like me you have often shaken hands with someone you would prefer to slap.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
darkside lightside
Lord Chancellor

Post by darkside lightside »

notj wrote:It would be completely inappropriate for players to refuse to shake hands with any head of state they are publically introduced to. For the same reasons players don't make fun of the Haka or talk amongst themselves during the opposition's anthems. There's something called manners and protocol that the players are meant to uphold once they pull on a green jersey to represent Ireland. The idea that a player representing Ireland should be allowed to pubnlically snub the President of Ireland is ridiculous

Remember this; it's not the person protocol demands you respect, it's the office they hold.
I'm not sure about this - it's a bit of a moral cop-out, is it not? It follows (and I am aware that I'm about to fall foul of Gadwin's law :) ) that while Hitler was head of state of Germany up until 1945, protocol would oblige you to shake his hand if you met him to 'respect his office'?

I'll be honest - I wouldn't shake McGuinness's hand (and I'm no unionist)
[The Artist Formerly Known as Caolan]

On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero - Tyler Durden
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

I've shaken Marty's hand back when he was education minister, didn't agree with his politics it was just a matter of protocol, the sky didn't open up, I didn't suddenly become a shinner, really nothing strange happened.
As it happens he has a decent handshake and not one of those limp slimy fishlike ones that I always associate with weak minded stab you in the back type guys.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
HwoodMike2umate
Lord Chancellor

Post by HwoodMike2umate »

David Norris is goona run and win so there.
http://www.cryptome.org/

Klaatu barada nikto

Nollaig Shona Daoibh
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

HwoodMike2umate wrote:David Norris is goona run and win so there.
Any relation to Chuck ?
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Rooster wrote:As it happens he has a decent handshake and not one of those limp slimy fishlike ones that I always associate with weak minded stab you in the back type guys.
you need to keep a solid grip on an AK-47
:duck:
irishfan
Novice

Post by irishfan »

Snipe Watson wrote:
Rooster wrote:As it happens he has a decent handshake and not one of those limp slimy fishlike ones that I always associate with weak minded stab you in the back type guys.
lol :red:
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Snipe Watson wrote:
Could be Snipe, then again that could be preferable to what some of the others like to keep a solid grip on :shock:
Rory Best
DavyG
Steward

Post by DavyG »

It's going to difficult to call....

Norris - Doesn't know what way to turn.

Dana - You could have all kinds of everything.

Marty - Will blow the opposition away........

:salut: :red:
"We are on a Journey.......Don't Stop Believin"....
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

I personally couldn't shake hands with someone with such a bad working knowledge of English grammar.

Every time Marty says "I done things I wasn't proud of" it makes me want to box his ears. Does anyone here speak shin, I'd love to know if Marty's Irish is as poor as his English? I mean do regular viewers of TG4 bang their heads off walls when Marty gets up till give a wee speech in his mor tongue?

I shook Richard Harris' hand once ... yes indeed that man can caress the language, well he could until he died.
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"