Cricket season

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Re: Cricket season

Post by big mervyn »

Bart S wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:34 am Am guessing Notts (Trent Bridge)?
Thought Yorkshire was the only county that thinks they're worthy of sovereign status!

Maybe Old Trafford for best average? Probably Lords as the most prolific ground though as there are more tests played there.

The Emirates as tthe "trick" answer?
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Some good answers between the two of you.

It is indeed the Emirates. 22 wickets at about 20.

Most wickets at Lord’s by far. Think his lowest average for a ground is Trent Bridge. Certainly, two of his three 10 wicket matches were there.

Old Trafford is not a happy hunting ground for him though. Never taken five wickets there. Same at the Oval.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

That was some performance by India to beat the Aussies. Watched some of the evening sessions and got up this morning to watch after checking the score. After losing the 1st test and being bowled out for 36, Kohli going home and missing their entire bowling attack, to win in Oz was a phenomenal achievement. Great to see the Aussies getting beaten as always!

It would be like Ulster going to the RDS and beating a full strength Leinster team without Hendy and the future Bulls player, plus Shanners, McCall and Kane all playing 80 minutes!
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Anybody know who has to do what to make the Test Cricket World Final?
Does Neill do cricket?
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Keep winning and let someone else work it out!

Kohli’s absence seemed to take the pressure off the new faces in the Indian line up, as well as some of the old ones.

I like the way NZ have managed to come to the fore despite their spinners being even worse than ours.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

This only gets a lowly bronze for complex sporting qualification behind the Heineken Cup 20/21 version and the undisputed king, that European nations league football thingy (didn't northern ireland lose all their games and still make the euro qualification playoffs or something like that?).

Anyway, I think it is something like this at a high level:-

India currently 1st and NZ 2nd. Aussies (3rd) need to beat SA in SA 2-0, so at least draw the other test. They need this to overtake NZ.

England need to beat india 3-0 (yeah right) in the 4 test upcoming series to qualify (think they also need to win the 2nd test in sri lanka).

Nz dont play again.

So realistically it is India vs Oz or NZ. I think had the Aussies won this test then they may have only had to draw the series in SA. Series could be cancelled of course given what is happening in SA.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

NZ have a very good pace attack, good wit keeper and a couple of very good batsmen. Still rely too much on Kane Williamson batting wise and yes their spinners are crap.

Ps. I have never heard a 5-30 or whatever Dom Bess took in the first innings vs Sri Lanka rubbished so much as the sky pundits did.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Bart S wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:07 am This only gets a lowly bronze for complex sporting qualification behind the Heineken Cup 20/21 version and the undisputed king, that European nations league football thingy (didn't northern ireland lose all their games and still make the euro qualification playoffs or something like that?).

Anyway, I think it is something like this at a high level:-

India currently 1st and NZ 2nd. Aussies (3rd) need to beat SA in SA 2-0, so at least draw the other test. They need this to overtake NZ.

England need to beat india 3-0 (yeah right) in the 4 test upcoming series to qualify (think they also need to win the 2nd test in sri lanka).

Nz dont play again.

So realistically it is India vs Oz or NZ. I think had the Aussies won this test then they may have only had to draw the series in SA. Series could be cancelled of course given what is happening in SA.
:thumleft:

If Duckworth-Lewis did qualifying tornaments ...
Big Neville Southall
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Bart S wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:11 am NZ have a very good pace attack, good wit keeper and a couple of very good batsmen. Still rely too much on Kane Williamson batting wise and yes their spinners are crap.

Ps. I have never heard a 5-30 or whatever Dom Bess took in the first innings vs Sri Lanka rubbished so much as the sky pundits did.
Tbf, I think only a late period Botham has ever bowled worse and taken five wickets.

I am finding it hard to take to Bess myself. Him joining Yorkshire hasn’t helped.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Couple of interesting statoids from the day's play.

Jimmy is now the oldest cricketer to take five wkts in an innings in Asia.
That was the first time pace bowlers have taken all 10 wickets in an innings in SL since 1994.
Big Neville Southall
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Cheers Merv and well done Jimmy.

Not sure how that reflects on england’s Spinners though. Ok the ball may spin less on the first couple of days but no wickets in a score of almost 400 doesn’t look good, especially in Asia. They’ll be under pressure to deliver when Sri Lanka bat again.

England look well placed but if Sri Lanka can get Root and Bairstow out they will fancy their chances.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

SL are even money and England are about two to one.

The game is perfectly poised at the minute but those odds seem about right.

Tough one to call because there are weaknesses in both teams and it’s unclear how much the pitch will turn and when!

Sounds like Nasser would rather have Black Bess in the side than Dom.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Rooooooooooooooot

Where would England be without him on this tour?

An early last wicket and then some good stroke play from SL could see England have to bat for over a day batting last against what I imagine will be a turning wicket. SL far too reliant on Embuldeniya though. They need someone else to maintain some pressure at the other end.

Will be interested to see how england’s Spinners go.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Hard to assess England’s spinners after that but you can only beat what’s in front of you.

Bigger Tests to come....
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

Bart S wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:56 pm Rooooooooooooooot

Where would England be without him on this tour?

An early last wicket and then some good stroke play from SL could see England have to bat for over a day batting last against what I imagine will be a turning wicket. SL far too reliant on Embuldeniya though. They need someone else to maintain some pressure at the other end.

Will be interested to see how england’s Spinners go.
Pretty damned well would seem to be the answer?