Cricket season

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

waggonsroll
Initiate

Re: Cricket season

Post by waggonsroll »

Hans Indaruck wrote:I saw Botham hit six sixes in one over at Wallace Park, Lisburn in a showcase appearance back in the day! [ although given the size of the pitch at Wallace Park it probably wasn’t that stupendous a feat!]
I think that was the time he was suspended from playing professional cricket due to his association with certain illegal substances.

Sent from my 5001D_EEA using Tapatalk

justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Saw him play at Deepdale when we had a similar event on the plastic pitch.

Very short square boundaries.

Some numpty in front of me in the West Stand got sconned.
Hans Indaruck
Squire

Post by Hans Indaruck »

waggonsroll wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:23 pm
Hans Indaruck wrote:I saw Botham hit six sixes in one over at Wallace Park, Lisburn in a showcase appearance back in the day! [ although given the size of the pitch at Wallace Park it probably wasn’t that stupendous a feat!]
I think that was the time he was suspended from playing professional cricket due to his association with certain illegal substances.

A little bit of on-line research shows that you are indeed correct. It was 1986 and Botham was due to play for a Lisburn Select XI vs MCC. However MCC refused to play (and were backed the ICU) against Botham because of his suspension. Lisburn thus arranged for a NCU XI to be the opposition and the match went ahead with Botham notching up a century.
Hope is not a strategy.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

The bowler obviously had a meltdown. That notwithstanding, an incredible effort in the last over of a final. Has to be some sort of record.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Some hit by Livingstone today.

It was more like a 12 than a 6.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

40 years to the day since Bob Willis skittled the Aussies.

I remember it well....

Got a bottle of his favourite Chardonnay chilling for later.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

justinr73 wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:28 pm 40 years to the day since Bob Willis skittled the Aussies.

I remember it well....

Got a bottle of his favourite Chardonnay chilling for later.
Remember that well too. I was out helping to bring in the hay on the Monday and missed Beefy's efforts but feet up on Tuesday for the fireworks.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Good knock by David Miller today.

He kind of had to hit the last three balls for six after turning down successive singles.
waggonsroll
Initiate

Post by waggonsroll »

The Hundred.

Don't know if anyone has watched any of this yet but my take on it:

The women's game is perhaps the more interesting in that it provides a platform for young girls to see cricket that is of a reasonable standard and therefore attract them into the game.

The men's seems little different to the 20/20 completion. Just 20 balls a side less.

Of more import is that all teams are franchises centered on the larger counties. This means that the teams are a hotch potch of worldwide international players, county players and some youngsters. This produces the somewhat bizarre situation where a single county's players can be playing for four or more franchises. This, for any actual follower of cricket is in my opinion an anathma. It would be like Ulster playing in the European Cup without its name Al players and bringing in a completely new team whilst real Ulster players go off to represent any team that will have them.

Although it's early days and the jury might be out I have given up watching as I feel no attachment to any team. A bit like watching the Indian premier League.

justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

As if there weren’t enough reasons to dislike it, I don’t enjoy having half of my TV screen covered in garish graphics.

There are two main reasons that the crowds are OK:

a) they’ve given away loads of free tickets and
b) they’ve cut capacity for the T20 Blast so as to starve fans of action.

Know of a guy who got 2 T20 tickets cancelled and was sent 4 for the Hundred instead.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

A shame Jimmy missed out on his "five for" today. He's 5 days older than Hadlee was when he got his last one.
Big Neville Southall
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Went to a Hundred game the other day - lots more kids and weemen there than your average game. Kids seemed to be enjoying it. Can only be a good thing from that perspective.

Otherwise agree with Waggons. I reckon it’s more beneficial overall to the Women’s game, getting more girls interested.

T20 is fine as a short format. If you don’t like that then you won’t enjoy the Hundred much.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

big mervyn wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:01 pm A shame Jimmy missed out on his "five for" today. He's 5 days older than Hadlee was when he got his last one.
Indeed. Think Trent Bridge is his favourite ground but great display of skill and control to keep England in the game. They need to set India minimum about two hundred and Broad to have one of his days when he is peerless in the last innings.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Bart S wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 2:43 am
big mervyn wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:01 pm A shame Jimmy missed out on his "five for" today. He's 5 days older than Hadlee was when he got his last one.
Indeed. Think Trent Bridge is his favourite ground but great display of skill and control to keep England in the game. They need to set India minimum about two hundred and Broad to have one of his days when he is peerless in the last innings.
He's just done it in the 2nd test.

A "five for" at the age of 39 yrs 14 days.

He's now the 3rd oldest pace bowler to take 5 wkts in a test innings.

1. Geoffrey Chubb 40y 84d (6/51 SA v Eng Manchester 5/7/1951)
2. Frank Laver 39y 231d (8/31 Aus v Eng Manchester 27/7/1909)
Big Neville Southall
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

All these new cricket fans seeing Paul Stirling for the first time could be forgiven for thinking that the Pom-Bears were a team for stockily-built, hirsute homosexuals.