Cricket season

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Re: Cricket season

Post by big mervyn »

justinr73 wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:17 pm Great effort but the toss was crucial and will be all series.

Not even many draws in India these days.
Unusually, for an England captain, Joe is a very lucky tosser.

He won all 5 in the last home series v India, and 8 in a row in 2018 including the Sri Lanka series, and I think his overall average is also pretty decent.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

absolute cracker!
and I even got my wife to appreciate Jimmy Andersons's reverse swing and movement of the pitch. A miracle!
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

big mervyn wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:56 pm
justinr73 wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:17 pm Great effort but the toss was crucial and will be all series.

Not even many draws in India these days.
Unusually, for an England captain, Joe is a very lucky tosser.

He won all 5 in the last home series v India, and 8 in a row in 2018 including the Sri Lanka series, and I think his overall average is also pretty decent.
I always called tails and seemed to do fairly well, although whichever side had the most players present at 6pm invariably had to field.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

I note that Jimmy needs 9 more wickets to overhaul Kumble and go 3rd in the all time list.

He also needs 14 for 1000 first class wickets. A sign of the times that well over 60% of these will have been in test cricket.

There is actually speculation that he may be the last bowler to achieve the 1000 wicket mark.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

I was reading about Bomber Wells, the off-spinner from the 50s and 60s.

He was knocking on a bit but Notts said we’ll let you have one more game because you’re on 999 first class wickets.

“Thanks but no thanks” said Bomber. “I’m more likely to be remembered as the fella who took 999, than one who just scraped over a 1000”.

Turns out someone miscounted and he only took 998.
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

India turning Test cricket into a game of skittles with these ridiculous pitches. What can be done? Who should be doing it?
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Bobbievee wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:17 pm India turning Test cricket into a game of skittles with these ridiculous pitches. What can be done? Who should be doing it?
The match ref will compile a pitch report and a number of sanctions are available to the ICC, starting with fines and culminating in the removal of the venue's test status.

Something not right when Root is taking 5 for 8!
Big Neville Southall
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Just turn off your TV and don't watch it.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

big mervyn wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:31 pm [quote=Bobbievee post_id=699410 time=<a href="tel:1614251837">1614251837</a> user_id=5266]
India turning Test cricket into a game of skittles with these ridiculous pitches. What can be done? Who should be doing it?
The match ref will compile a pitch report and a number of sanctions are available to the ICC, starting with fines and culminating in the removal of the venue's test status.

Something not right when Root is taking 5 for 8!
[/quote]

If he was taking it on day 5 I could take it, but no want should he be doing it on the 2nd morning if a test match against a team which should know how to play spin!
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Dave wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:10 pm Just turn off your TV and don't watch it.
That’s what i’ll do for the next 3 days now
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Not a great ad for test cricket. Commentators were saying about how everyone was missing straight ones but that was because so many were turning and bouncing that the batsmen didn’t know how to play it.

No doubt the likes of Boycott will blast the technique of the batsmen and some of it was poor for sure, but when the pitch offers so much help to even a part time spinner so early in the game there is something wrong.

India has better spinners for sure but the pitch did not provide a good spectacle.

You do wonder if some of the England players are now mentally shot against these spinners, not knowing whether to attack or defend and ending up in between which can be the worst outcome of all.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Bart S wrote:
Dave wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:10 pm Just turn off your TV and don't watch it.
That’s what i’ll do for the next 3 days now
Don't you dare. It's game day tomorrow!
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Won’t lose too much sleep over this.

Getting rolled over in India is hardly unusual.

At least they didn’t rack up 500.
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

There's hope yet. Following England's 205, Jimmy A bowled 5 successive maidens. India very wary of him
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

The spinners will need to do the heavy lifting of course.

Bess bowled a couple of shockers in his over but another two or three that spun pretty sharply.

India have a few batters who are due a big score though.