ASK THE EXPERT

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Re: ASK THE EXPERT

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

You forgot snipe down at the animal shelter.
Attachments
snipe.jpg
snipe.jpg (144.77 KiB) Viewed 2479 times
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

pip14 wrote:Baggy, help me out please. Since you posted above that you have three dogs you must know your stuff about such an animal

I'm thinking about purchasing a new dog myself? Which one should I get?
The first ones name is Kofi...
The second ones name is Russ...

Please help, I can't decide :scratch:
Pip, I can't imagine Kofi being happy with being represented by a cross-dressing son of a bitch. Russ on the other hand seems perfectly happy as a slack jawed, bat earred arsefoon of a dog.

I know people cone here for answers but I have to pose a question? Pipster, what size is your handbeg? Thise are tiny bitch's dogs. I recommend you get a man's dog - something on the labrador lines of course, not some attack dog, assuming you aren't a spide.

I can thoroughly recommend a labradoodle, I've a big reddish brown fella answers to Rory.
rory.jpg
rory.jpg (194.92 KiB) Viewed 2468 times
Now that's a dog.

As for poor Snipe, a baseball bat to the cranium would sort that cross between Leo Cullen & a pug ugly dog.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Consider a rescue dog if you are really thinking of getting one. The dogs trust have some brilliant dogs for rehoming. The wee pedigree designer dogs are inbred, outrageously expensive and invariably stupid as feck. I've got a lab/collie cross that I got from the pound 9 years ago. Smart as hell. Dreading the day when she's gone tbh.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

I'm just happy to be involved

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

big mervyn wrote:Consider a rescue dog if you are really thinking of getting one. The dogs trust have some brilliant dogs for rehoming. The wee pedigree designer dogs are inbred, outrageously expensive and invariably stupid as feck. I've got a lab/collie cross that I got from the pound 9 years ago. Smart as hell. Dreading the day when she's gone tbh.
Steady on Merv, you & I could fall out***, Rory is a magnificent dog in all respects, his sister is a bloody genius, admittedly wee have one Bichon-mini-poodle cross who is thick as pigshit. As for cost, they aren't cheap, we have spent about £1500 or so on 4 and running costs, food & insurance etc would be £150 - £200 per month.

Some people spend their dough on cars etc, I like my dogs, better for your health.The other benefit of the doodles is they don't leave hair all round the place & don't stink, a prime consideration for Mrs Trousers before submitting to dog ownership.

I have no wish to badmouth rescue dogs but many or a lot are there because of ............. lets say personality disorders ....... just as much as the result of idiot owners who had no idea dogs shat so much or actually do mind being confined in a house all day. There are very often associated difficulties with them. Your lab/collie cross is a good combo, 2 of the smarter variety of dogs.

*** Just reread an you refer to the wee ones, it is our small dog who is thick so lets not fall out after all. >EW

All that said, I suspect Pip's question really involves getting into Russ & Kofi rather than dogs. >EW
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
OneMore
Warrior Chief

Post by OneMore »

BaggyTrousers wrote:As for cost, they aren't cheap, we have spent about £1500 or so on 4 and running costs, food & insurance etc would be £150 - £200 per month.
Of course, they don't *have* to cost such extortionate amounts.

I'm in the Big Mervyn supporter of rescue dogs camp. Our collie cross cost £45, and we buy food to the tune of £10 for a 15kg bag every few months, and he gets whatever scraps are leftover on an evening. We get him jagged every so often (every couple of years or so, to date) by a mate in the business who calls it his Christmas present to us. We used to pay a license until one year the council decided they needed paperwork to support the claim he was neutered. I said they were welcome to come and have a feel, but no such paperwork existed. They've never contacted me since, and I haven't contacted them. That was about 3 years ago. Like a clergyman who's trying to be down with the kids he doesn't wear a collar anyway, so seems a nonsense to me.

He lives in the house and casts like feck (though I'm currently winning our hair loss competition, seems he had a somewhat furrier starting point), but you get over it. And try to encourage children not to eat off the floor.

Pet insurance I cannot fathom. I love the wee man, but when his time comes it comes. Not paying some gobshite for the privilege of pocketing my hard-earned.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

OneMore wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:As for cost, they aren't cheap, we have spent about £1500 or so on 4 and running costs, food & insurance etc would be £150 - £200 per month.
Of course, they don't *have* to cost such extortionate amounts.

I'm in the Big Mervyn supporter of rescue dogs camp. Our collie cross cost £45, and we buy food to the tune of £10 for a 15kg bag every few months, and he gets whatever scraps are leftover on an evening. We get him jagged every so often (every couple of years or so, to date) by a mate in the business who calls it his Christmas present to us. We used to pay a license until one year the council decided they needed paperwork to support the claim he was neutered. I said they were welcome to come and have a feel, but no such paperwork existed. They've never contacted me since, and I haven't contacted them. That was about 3 years ago. Like a clergyman who's trying to be down with the kids he doesn't wear a collar anyway, so seems a nonsense to me.

He lives in the house and casts like feck (though I'm currently winning our hair loss competition, seems he had a somewhat furrier starting point), but you get over it. And try to encourage children not to eat off the floor.

Pet insurance I cannot fathom. I love the wee man, but when his time comes it comes. Not paying some gobshite for the privilege of pocketing my hard-earned.
Yes Yin, you can pay considerably less.

So Yin, your house is a health hazard and you are happy to treat your dog like a mobile phone, if there is anything non-life threatening, feck it kill him/her. Great.

Mrs Trousers would not get over a hairy house, I could cope but prefer not to live in a mingin' dump.

You are of course entitled to your opinion however I have a friend who had a boxer with a fetish for eating socks. First time they paid £800 to save the bloody thing's life, 2nd time BANG BANG boxer, you're dead. I intend to have these dogs for their lifetime, I pay the insurance grudgingly but there you go, treatment for a broken leg runs close to £1000.

You also appear to be starving the poor crater unless he is tiny, I feed according to their weight, measure their food accurately and still get through 30Kgs, £30 - £40 per beg, for 3 dogs & the other is on puppy food, about 5Kg a month at present. I also don't feed them crap, I buy quality food. Maybe just me but I work on the basis that if you are going to get the buggers in the first place you may as well treat them properly. (I'm not suggesting you are a cruel barsteward by the way Yin, I'm sure you treat your dog well, maybe we just have different standards)

Reckon there is a similar amount going out on horses by the way, even with one being shared ownership. >EW I love horses too by the way, clearly I should have been a country gentleman. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Wee Woman
Lord Chancellor

Post by Wee Woman »

I have a rescue collie, rescued from a farmer who had no use for him so was planning to turn a gun on him :(

He was never going to make it as a working sheepdog but he's the most gentle big bugger who loves his comfort, walks & fetch. Wee Girly had the eyes poked out of him & handfuls of fur trailed out of him when she was a toddler & never once did he react. He sleeps on a mat at the foot of her bed every night. He's the best dog I've ever had.

If you are getting a dog, definitely get them insured from the start. We got a full pay out of nearly £2,000 when the dog did his ACL during the summer, we'd have been stuffed without it.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

You've got to have pet insurance.

Mine's got hip dysplasia. Manages very well, but the meds and ongoing treatment run to £60 a month, all paid for by Sainsburys. Then there's 3rd party liability - essential in this increasingly litigious society.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Wee Woman wrote:I have a rescue collie, rescued from a farmer who had no use for him so was planning to turn a gun on him :(

He was never going to make it as a working sheepdog but he's the most gentle big bugger who loves his comfort, walks & fetch. Wee Girly had the eyes poked out of him & handfuls of fur trailed out of him when she was a toddler & never once did he react. He sleeps on a mat at the foot of her bed every night. He's the best dog I've ever had.

If you are getting a dog, definitely get them insured from the start. We got a full pay out of nearly £2,000 when the dog did his ACL during the summer, we'd have been stuffed without it.
Farmers, eh? I know one or two, splendid gentlemen by and large Wee Woman but they tend to look on all "God's wee creatures" as either profitable or not. No time for townies sentimental approach to beasts.

I have it on good information they all drink in pubs called "The Culled Badger" or "The Shreaded Fox" or the "Hound with no Head", feckin' charming. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

LastKnightoftheproms wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote: I have it on good information they all drink in pubs called "The Culled Badger" or "The Shreaded Fox" or the "Hound with no Head", feckin' charming. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I know one who drinks here. >EW

http://www.thesquealingpig.ie/Monaghan

As for the rest of this thread, when there's no Ulster Rugby on this site goes to the dogs. :duck:
I believe I may know the fine gentleman to whom you refer. :thumleft:
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

big mervyn wrote:You've got to have pet insurance.

Mine's got hip dysplasia. Manages very well, but the meds and ongoing treatment run to £60 a month, all paid for by Sainsburys. Then there's 3rd party liability - essential in this increasingly litigious society.
Yes Merve. Being from farming stock and much as I love our mongrels, I'd not be one for keeping them going on all sorts of medication that they know nothing of other than it giving them a sore tum every day. But I insure purely on the liability front, they've been known to wander on occasion and should they startle a horse or cause a bump on the road, it'll be worth the £50 pa.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

ColinM wrote:
big mervyn wrote:You've got to have pet insurance.

Yes Merve. Being from farming stock and much as I love our mongrels, I'd not be one for keeping them going on all sorts of medication that they know nothing of other than it giving them a sore tum every day. But I insure purely on the liability front, they've been known to wander on occasion and should they startle a horse or cause a bump on the road, it'll be worth the £50 pa.
Actually it is an interesting thing the difference between pets and farm animals as sometimes pets are kept going on drugs that if they were a farm animal you could be accused of cruelty for not putting it down, suppose it's a fine line.
Then again if you kept an animal waiting for treatment for the same length of time as a human you would get locked up for cruelty
Funny old world we live in !
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

Expert: is it possible to fart in space and if so can you smell it and can it be heard?

Interested
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

LastKnightoftheproms wrote:Aye Rooster, my wife's uncle in law spent a fortune on chemo for his Jack Russell to get another 9 months. Then had it cremated and he flew back to his home place for the ashes to be sprinkled on the hills around the farm.

There's the humane thing and the human thing. As you say, it's a fine line.
I can assure you I regard that as several steps too far.

In fact, though the fragrent Mrs Proms need never know, I'd cremate her uncle............ if I knew some kindly farmer with an incinerator. >EW