What are you watching?

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Re: What are you watching?

Post by solidarity »

Dixon of Dock Green, anyone? Z Cars? Great in their day, at least as far as I remember as a nipper, but really it shows how TV has moved on and improved in all aspects. I don't remember popular tv back in the day addressing social issues in the way that contemporary popular tv on both sides of the Atlantic sometimes does.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

mid ulster maestro wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:35 am I've really enjoyed 3 series of By the Lake on All 4. French cop show starting with Vanished by the Lake, then Killer by the Lake and the final series Fear by the Lake. I know a lot of folk couldn't be bothered with reading subtitles but there is a treasure trove of good foreign tv available these days.
Their loss mate.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Snipe Watson wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:16 pm
big mervyn wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:52 am
justinr73 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:39 am
Snipe Watson wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:35 pm
justinr73 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:42 am That’s true but the bar is set so low this side of the Atlantic.

Casualty v ER for example.

Even Doc Martin, a show which I enjoy, is not on the same planet as the show upon which it is based - the brilliant Northern Exposure.
Nonsense some of the best TV has come from this side of the atlantic. The Yanks produce more than their fair share of dross.
Of course but you’ve got to know where to look.

You’d take Juliet Bravo over Hill Street Blues or NYPD Blue would you?
I'd take The Sweeney over any of them ... you slag.

My own observation is that, while Snipe has a point, the quality of US tele has improved somewhat in recent years whilst British tele has got somewhat worse. Satellite TV and an exponential increase of channels has diluted the quality of UK output but the like of HBO in the US has given their stuff an edge which it previously lacked.
Life on Mars and Ashes to ashes.
Going back a bit there Snipe.

In saying that, I’ve never seen an actor come out of character at the end of a play as visibly as John Simm.

It was amazing.
mid ulster maestro
Warrior Chief

Post by mid ulster maestro »

I wasn't sure whether to put this in the 'what are you watching' or 'what are you listening to' thread but for all of you discerning music fans, I recommend checking out the 'Playing for Change' youtube channel.
When the bottom has fallen out of your world.
Take Enos and let the world fall out of your bottom!
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Did a Danish film double last night. Land of Mine which was very good, but pretty brutal about German POWs being used to clear mines from Danish beaches post WW2.

The Commune was set in the 70s in a big house which with group of strangers living together etc with all the issues that happen with that. Both should be on i player.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Neill_M wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:24 pm Did a Danish film double last night.
I remember doing that in the 80s. ;)
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Line of Duty starts tonight. Bent coppers, for the purposes of the tape. I didn't come up the Lagan in a bubble Fella.
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

big mervyn wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:46 pm
Neill_M wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:24 pm Did a Danish film double last night.
I remember doing that in the 80s. ;)
😂😂
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

breakdown wrote: Wed May 16, 2012 4:47 pm I noticed that there is the ''What are you reading'' and ''What are you listening to'' threads so thought I would make one to see what people like to watch in their spare time. I know most things on TV are crap right now but there must be a few decent things out there.

I'm currently making my way through the series 'The Walking Dead'. Heard people talking about the new series on Twitter etc so thought I'd give it a watch. Have to say it is very very good but really not one for the light hearted!!
ah, Frank Windsor as Sgt John Watt. Frank even found time to introduce the masses to MiracleGro, the amateur gardeners saviour
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

The first couple of episodes of Between the Lines are on BBC4 on Sunday night starting, unsurprisingly perhaps, at 10pm.

(Like numerous posters on here, no doubt), I fondly remember being gripped back in the 90s.....
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

justinr73 wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:48 pm The first couple of episodes of Between the Lines are on BBC4 on Sunday night starting, unsurprisingly perhaps, at 10pm.

(Like numerous posters on here, no doubt), I fondly remember being gripped back in the 90s.....
I still get gripped from time to time ...
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

The Terror on BBC is fecking class.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

big mervyn wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:19 pm
justinr73 wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:48 pm The first couple of episodes of Between the Lines are on BBC4 on Sunday night starting, unsurprisingly perhaps, at 10pm.

I’ll set them up.....!
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

justinr73 wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:02 pm
big mervyn wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:19 pm

I’ll set them up.....!
:thumleft:
Big Neville Southall
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Dave wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:30 pm The Terror on BBC is fecking class.
Thanks for the reminder. Must download that. I'm a bit of a polar exploration nut and a horror fan to boot, so looks good.
Big Neville Southall