A little bit of politics folks`

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

rorybestsbigbaldnoggin
Red Hand Ambassador

Re: A little bit of politics folks`

Post by rorybestsbigbaldnoggin »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
Rooster wrote:
Cockatrice wrote:why do you think all these previously tested and safe tower blocks suddenly became so unsafe that people needed moved out?
Gross over reaction I would have thought on the cladding.
The gas one is strange though as I have mentioned before the isolation valves appear to be manual in all these buildings yet all gas valves in agricultural buildings have both manual and also flow rate based automatic valves that kick in when there is a burst or abnormal usage and they are situated outside buildings and also one on main supply point be it tank or mains.
Not so sure Rooster, picture yourself as head of the council in any borough with these tower blocks and the cladding has been determined as the same as Grenfell, now assume that in at least one of these lurks a Hotpoint fridge freezer, the same weight, size, colour and model as the errant one in Grenfell, and the owner hasn't left suitable ventilation room around the back. Now imagine being the council leader who says "Ach, it'll never happen", for from memory, there have been fires in at least two other tower blocks in recent years. Imagine you are in court facing manslaughter charges.

Once the cladding has been identified as the same or near enough and that it poses a clear and obvious risk in the event of a fire, I agree it seems an over reaction, but how can they take any other decision?
There is no shortage of people in this world willing to use violence to further political or criminal aims.

There is also no shortage of the sort of people who strap used needles, infected with HIV, to the undersides of public stair bannisters.

Tower blocks like Grenfell are now targets to these sort of utter fúckwits. Course you'd evacuate them.
It's the hope that kills you.
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

TMay proves she can negotiate

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

Russ wrote:TMay proves she can negotiate

The UK leaving the EU? No deal is better than a bad deal.

The Conservatives staying in power? A bad deal is better than no deal.
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

She's just buying an underpass that should have already been bought
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

There will be £1.5bn in funding - consisting of £1bn of new money and £500m of previously announced funds - to be spent over the next two years on infrastructure, health and education in Northern Ireland, money Mrs Foster said was needed to address the challenges from Northern Ireland's "unique history".

As part of the deal, the military covenant will be implemented in full in Northern Ireland, meaning more focus on the treatment of military veterans, while the triple lock guarantee of at least a 2.5% rise in the state pension each year, and winter fuel payments, will be maintained throughout the UK.

Other key points of the agreement include:

The DUP will support the Tories on all Brexit and security legislation
The UK's 2% Nato defence spending target will continue to be met
Cash support for farmers will remain at current levels until the next election
Both parties to adhere to commitments in Good Friday Agreement
No Irish border poll without "consent of the people"
So £1billion to pish down the drain and 500 million we should have spent but can't spend because no one to take decisions.
Fuel and pensions was happening anyway.
NATO, was it ever under threat.
Cash for farmers is EU guaranteed up to 2020 anyway
Good Friday agreements adhered to sounds like step back for DUP as SF will want Irish language act
Border poll is not changed from what is already in place.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

Rooster wrote: No Irish border poll without "consent of the people"
Does that mean a poll to have a poll? :lol:
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

She would need to take over from Davis if thats the case :shock:
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

mikerob wrote:

A very gay marriage of the British Nasty Party & The NI Nasty Party, a match made in heaven.

£1 billion & the right to borrow a further £500M may actually produce a dividend for NI, but I have to say it's half as good as I had been lead to believe.

Wonder will it mean a free hip replacement for everyone in the wee kuntry ?
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

mikerob wrote:
Does that mean a poll to have a poll? :lol:
Does seem an odd line. Do we read it as no border poll without DUP consent but written in Newspeak to appear inoffensive to the rest of us?
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

Front page of today's London Evening Standard. Gideon Osborne is clearly having a blast in his new job.

Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
mikerob wrote:

A very gay marriage of the British Nasty Party & The NI Nasty Party, a match made in heaven.

£1 billion & the right to borrow a further £500M may actually produce a dividend for NI, but I have to say it's half as good as I had been lead to believe.

Wonder will it mean a free hip replacement for everyone in the wee kuntry ?
It won't do anything except get squandered on a few vanity projects and do a few private operations if they even get round to allocating it in time, the root problems we have in duplication of education and top heavy management structures in health etc won't get fixed with the bunch of arsseholes we have in Stormont.

I await the shinner demands for the Irish language act which will effectively blow the billion and a lot more along with it to implement
Rory Best
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

mikerob wrote:
Does that mean a poll to have a poll? Image
Thought they were chucking the polls out along with the Latvians etc
Rory Best
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
Rooster wrote:
Cockatrice wrote:why do you think all these previously tested and safe tower blocks suddenly became so unsafe that people needed moved out?
Gross over reaction I would have thought on the cladding.
The gas one is strange though as I have mentioned before the isolation valves appear to be manual in all these buildings yet all gas valves in agricultural buildings have both manual and also flow rate based automatic valves that kick in when there is a burst or abnormal usage and they are situated outside buildings and also one on main supply point be it tank or mains.
Not so sure Rooster, picture yourself as head of the council in any borough with these tower blocks and the cladding has been determined as the same as Grenfell, now assume that in at least one of these lurks a Hotpoint fridge freezer, the same weight, size, colour and model as the errant one in Grenfell, and the owner hasn't left suitable ventilation room around the back. Now imagine being the council leader who says "Ach, it'll never happen", for from memory, there have been fires in at least two other tower blocks in recent years. Imagine you are in court facing manslaughter charges.

Once the cladding has been identified as the same or near enough and that it poses a clear and obvious risk in the event of a fire, I agree it seems an over reaction, but how can they take any other decision?
Doubt if Michael McIntyre will be using this material again ...

https://youtu.be/4VkNaAPHfyI
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

The new money will be split with an allocation of £400m to infrastructure, £200m health service transformation, £100m for immediate pressures in health/education, £150m to broadband, £100m to deprived communities and £50m for mental health.

DUP agrees £1.5bn deal to support Theresa May's Conservative government
DUP Tory deal: Full text of what has been agreed

Infrastructure: £400m - The UK government will allocate £200m per year for two year. It will enable the Executive to deliver the York Street Interchange Project - designed to ease congestion on Belfast's motorways - and other priorities.

Broadband: The government will contribute £75m per year for two years to help provide ultra-fast broadband for Northern Ireland.

Deprivation: In order to target pockets of severe deprivation so that all can benefit from growth and prosperity, the UK Government will also provide £2m per year for five years to support the Northern Ireland Executive to deliver this measure.

Health and education: The government will allocate an additional £50m per year for two years to enable the Executive to address immediate pressures in health and education.

The UK Government will allocate £100m per year for two years to support the Northern Ireland Ireland Executive's delivery of its priority of health service transformation.

Mental Health: The Government will provide £10m per year for five years to support the Northern Ireland Executive to deliver this measure.
Rory Best