A little bit of politics folks`

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Re: A little bit of politics folks`

Post by big mervyn »

Dave wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:10 pm Another cunning plan dreamt up in tory HQ. Utterly pointless.
Boris hates devolution and this is probably a clumsy attempt at undermining it.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

see my reply on new thread, US Special Envoy

Compared to you Merv?..................... outthinks you and beats you on all of your criteria.

These yanks still believe that "the IRA freedom fighters" are to be respected and remembered. Over 100 RUC/PSNI officers murdered when they weren't even on duty, most of the 150 UDR men likewise. Almost all "Ulstermen" . Shot in their homes , and their churches, shops, farmyards, on their tractors, in their post vans .

And dont even start me on civilians or the 29 unarmed Prison Officers! Brave "fighters" , my a**e.

Somebody needs to at least try to hang onto a tiny bit of the truth during all this rewriting of history.

why is that anyone who supports any form of unionism and dispelling the truth of the "Occupied North" is to be sniped at....even before he starts!!

My estimation of you Merv as a wise counsellor has irretrievably fallen many steps
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

I'm not sure his "brief" will correspond to your view of it Bobbie. He's a Tory pawn and more fool him. Still, I will concede that you're at least partially right. He does indeed comprehensively beat me on the "chasing a knighthood" criterium.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

big mervyn wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:15 pm
solidarity wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:51 pm I've been told that we pay extra rates because we, with all the other houses round us, have a pretty special view over Belfast Lough. Sounds a bit odd, so can anyone tell me if this just might be true?
It's linked to the value of your property, so if your splendid view adds to the value of your house, then yes.
The view would need to be widespread. The value would be based on a typical house of similar spec in that area. If just you and a few neighboyrs benefitbfrom the view, it would be unlikely to impact the RV.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

big mervyn wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:49 pm
big mervyn wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 1:54 am
justinr73 wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 12:51 am Only lived here for six months.

Realised I hadn’t received a bill for rates and phoned up.

Apparently, they aren’t ready yet.

So the council doesn’t need two months income then???
They certainly do. Those bonfires and riots don't clean themselves up afterwards!

You have your friendly Finance minister and erstwhile convicted terrorist, Conor Murphy to thank.

Last year's bill was delayed by 2 months to ease short term financial pressures on ratepayers due to Covid. This year's bill will similarly be issued at the end of May to take that into consideration.

Btw, if you pay in full, you should get a 4% reduction - not a bad deal given the current interest rates.
Got mine on Saturday Justin. Extortionate for what they do but you do get 4% off if you pay by July 9.
Which part do you find extortionate? District, regional or both?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

BR wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:48 pm

They certainly do. Those bonfires and riots don't clean themselves up afterwards!

You have your friendly Finance minister and erstwhile convicted terrorist, Conor Murphy to thank.

Last year's bill was delayed by 2 months to ease short term financial pressures on ratepayers due to Covid. This year's bill will similarly be issued at the end of May to take that into consideration.

Btw, if you pay in full, you should get a 4% reduction - not a bad deal given the current interest rates.
Got mine on Saturday Justin. Extortionate for what they do but you do get 4% off if you pay by July 9.
The district rate for Belfast residents is one of the highest, if not the highest in NI. My rates shot up when we changed from Castlereagh to Belfast after the new councils were created. I also object to subsidizing sectarian cultural events and paying for subsequent clean-ups.
Big Neville Southall
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

big mervyn wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:30 pm
BR wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:48 pm

The district rate for Belfast residents is one of the highest, if not the highest in NI. My rates shot up when we changed from Castlereagh to Belfast after the new councils were created. I also object to subsidizing sectarian cultural events and paying for subsequent clean-ups.
You lot have everything on your doorsteps. So paying more rates probably works out cheaper in the long run. :stir:
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Aye. Plus Castlereah had record low rates for years,, because they piggybacked on their philanthropic neighbour :stir:

And although its not a direct comparison, Belfast has thev3rd lowest district rate in NI.
www.stoutboys.co.uk
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

I only need to move my house 200 yards.
Big Neville Southall
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Biden is possibly the most ill-informed President of U S re the attitudes within Northern Ireland --with little or no understanding of the knife edge that exists with the protestant community -- It was John Hume feared the protestant backlash and was surprised it never came

and it was avoided by the redefining the boundaries of the Ghettos -- the prods giving up inner Belfast and moving out to Carrick etc and the presence of the Army which provided an element of assurance of the Status Quo --- the assurance of the status quo has been reduced substantially and sharpen the knife edge which creates the situation where the backlash could erupt.

A special envoy to the US -- may enlighten the US administration to avoid striking matches in a room full of gas.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

rumncoke wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:07 am Biden is possibly the most ill-informed President of U S re the attitudes within Northern Ireland --with little or no understanding of the knife edge that exists with the protestant community -- It was John Hume feared the protestant backlash and was surprised it never came

and it was avoided by the redefining the boundaries of the Ghettos -- the prods giving up inner Belfast and moving out to Carrick etc and the presence of the Army which provided an element of assurance of the Status Quo --- the assurance of the status quo has been reduced substantially and sharpen the knife edge which creates the situation where the backlash could erupt.

A special envoy to the US -- may enlighten the US administration to avoid striking matches in a room full of gas.
Can't imagine there is really a lot going on in Biden's head any more, worrying for the US the standard of their recent presidents.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

rumncoke wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:07 am Biden is possibly the most ill-informed President of U S re the attitudes within Northern Ireland
Seriously? Does Trump know Norn Iron exists?
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Snipe Watson wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:29 pm
rumncoke wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:07 am Biden is possibly the most ill-informed President of U S re the attitudes within Northern Ireland
Seriously? Does Trump know Norn Iron exists?
He must have known about us, he had a plan to build a golf course here. Or maybe... who knows?

I heard today that he was asked what the J in his name stood for and he answered, 'Genius'.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Isn't protestantism just one big really long backlash ongoing from the 1600s?

I suppose from rum's point of view, Biden is just a cheeky young upstart. A whippersnapper with not enough life experience.

There has never been, nor will there ever be a POTUS with the slightest clue about the inner workings of the cultural, religious or political nuances of the region. Nor bojo the clown.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

rumncoke wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:07 am the prods giving up inner Belfast and moving out to Carrick etc
Wish theyd feck off back to Belfast. Knobs
Gonna Party Like It's 1999