A little bit of politics folks`

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: A little bit of politics folks`

Post by Dave »

Screenshot_20210514-200817_Twitter.jpg
Screenshot_20210514-200817_Twitter.jpg (59.48 KiB) Viewed 1211 times
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Only lived here for six months.

Realised I hadn’t received a bill for rates and phoned up.

Apparently, they aren’t ready yet.

So the council doesn’t need two months income then???
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

justinr73 wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 12:51 am Only lived here for six months.

Realised I hadn’t received a bill for rates and phoned up.

Apparently, they aren’t ready yet.

So the council doesn’t need two months income then???
They certainly do. Those bonfires and riots don't clean themselves up afterwards!

You have your friendly Finance minister and erstwhile convicted terrorist, Conor Murphy to thank.

Last year's bill was delayed by 2 months to ease short term financial pressures on ratepayers due to Covid. This year's bill will similarly be issued at the end of May to take that into consideration.

Btw, if you pay in full, you should get a 4% reduction - not a bad deal given the current interest rates.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

big mervyn wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 7:30 pm
jean valjean wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 7:12 pm Channel 4 reported it as "man who believes the earth is 6000 years old" becomes leader of NI biggest party.
Nicely juxtaposed with the item about the 4.5 billion year old meteorite going on display in the Natural History Museum :lol:
Dave wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 8:20 pm I've seen him quoted as saying it's 4000 years old.
The meteorite?
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Interesting article from the always excellent Sam McBride:

https://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/polit ... er-3238033
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

Will be interesting to see what the apparent division in the DUP will result in, the most obvious result will be a Sinn Fein first minister. Hopefully Beattie can be a good leader for the UUP and attract an increased share of the vote.

Wondering why Poots doesn't want to be first minister, is it because he doesn't want to work with themuns?
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

I don't think anyone even in the DUP would think Poops would be an electable first minister. I forsee a snap election in which they lose more ground.
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

Dave wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 5:26 pm I don't think anyone even in the DUP would think Poops would be an electable first minister. I forsee a snap election in which they lose more ground.
Here's hoping, as long as extremists on both sides lead the government we have no hope.
Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Post by Setanta »

DUP cut down ; SF next !?
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Lurgan Lad wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 3:53 pm Will be interesting to see what the apparent division in the DUP will result in, the most obvious result will be a Sinn Fein first minister. Hopefully Beattie can be a good leader for the UUP and attract an increased share of the vote.

Wondering why Poots doesn't want to be first minister, is it because he doesn't want to work with themuns?
They will collapse the institutions before allowing a SF first minster.
Hans Indaruck
Squire

Post by Hans Indaruck »

Snipe Watson wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 10:43 pm
Lurgan Lad wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 3:53 pm Will be interesting to see what the apparent division in the DUP will result in, the most obvious result will be a Sinn Fein first minister. Hopefully Beattie can be a good leader for the UUP and attract an increased share of the vote.

Then the subsequent elections will ensure a SF First Minister with the split unionist vote!
Hope is not a strategy.
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

Hans Indaruck wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 8:38 am
Snipe Watson wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 10:43 pm

Then the subsequent elections will ensure a SF First Minister with the split unionist vote!
Sounds like if SF don't agree to the proposed first minister there will be elections, so the big question is will they look after self interest or the best interests of the country. SF first minister is inevitable at some point so that wouldn't bother me a whole lot, I think what we need is SDLP, Alliance and UUP working better together to show that there is an alternative to extremist politics on both sides. Grab the bull by the horns, produce joint policies in areas like education that a competent government would actually endorse.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

He needs to have a scapegoat ready - one of the reasons why the likes of Mervyn Storey isn't keen to grasp that poison chalice.
Big Neville Southall
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Here's an idea, maybe the electorate should decide on the next 1st minister.
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

big mervyn wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 6:56 pm

He needs to have a scapegoat ready - one of the reasons why the likes of Mervyn Storey isn't keen to grasp that poison chalice.
Sure doesn't sound like leadership, can't see it being viewed positively inside or outside the party.