A little bit of politics folks`

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Re: A little bit of politics folks`

Post by rumncoke »

The Irish problem is population size -- it is insufficient to finance a welfare state -- to subsidise health and housing.
Northern irelands social welfare is only possible because it is financed by the combined GB population.
The second problem is now the population is less rural and more Dublin urban -- giving rise to a wealthy minority and a poorer majority.

There is no easy solution -- building high rise is expensive and frequently the wrong solution for social housing involving young families -- the new town --out of Dublin -- provides the Glasgow experience -- housing with lack of social amenities -- and travel to work in central Dublin -- fine for two job middle class families no solution for the poorly paid - or single parent.

And part of the success of the economy is based on tax holidays for foreign companies remove the holiday -- you lose the jobs.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

So what is the excuse for poor social housing across GB, including Glasgow as you've mentioned.

I'm not disputing there are issues with a smaller economy but a lot of the housing issues is down to political will. Those who are profiting from the housing issues are the top priority for FF as always and also for FG.

One of the main reasons for the decline of rural Ireland is the inability of FF/FG to deliver on any regional strategy.

So ultimately the establishment parties are to blame for many of the issues and the result is the huge vote for a party which just over 10 years ago were seen as toxic by most.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Bobbievee wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:31 pm Not all young misguided and forgetful innocents then?!
Being honest I don't like it. I'm one who has never voted for SF and have not been persuaded of a reason to do so. However this guy does not have a history as a RA head so I'd be inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt and put it down to over-exuberence and maybe over-indulgence.

However there is a guy in Dublin who I would have an issue with on grounds of his active involvement in the armed activities in the past. So yes there's stilla few knocking around and it would be better if they were weeded out.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

As stated high rise and toxic estates where there was a lack of vested social interest .

The sale of social housing at knock down prices was seen as a way to create mixed tenure .

But mixed tenure fails to provide social amenities.

Then there is the fact many estates were built on the basis of lowest tender with profit only achievable by corner cutting to inferior materials

And therefore expensive repairs which are demand lead and expectation exceeds the available resources .

Murphy’s Law
When two poeple discuss the expenditure finance a third fraud will result

Murphy was an optimist when considering the building of social housing
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Dublin4
Warrior Assassin

Post by Dublin4 »

The Republic of Ireland easily affords a welfare state with benefits higher than in the UK while running a budget surplus, having full employment and a growing economy.
The Republic has, however, a problem with health as it spends as much as the UK but gets poor value for money. The rising population has taken the system by surprise and you get places like Limerick where the main hospital is just too small to cater for the demand. health professionals are allowed get away with restrictive work practices as well.
We also have a housing problem in Dublin and other cities partly due to the economic boom and partly due to an ideological objection to large scale building of social housing by the outgoing right wing government. We need to build ten 1,000 homes size multi-storey dense developments in Dublin to cater for the lower paid and homeless. There is a big problem with NIMBYism, not least around where I live and the local residents object to everything proposed. (I like the new acronym, BANANAs - Build absolutely nothing anywhere near anybody) .

Sinn Fein played that brilliantly. Parents are fed up with their offspring living with them with their partners and the kids are p eed off living with the parents and not being able to have sex in peace and quiet.
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

I predicted Brexit would lead us to a United Ireland. Didn't expect it to push things this quickly though.
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
Amiga500
Warrior Chief

Post by Amiga500 »

Jackie Brown wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:28 am I predicted Brexit would lead us to a United Ireland. Didn't expect it to push things this quickly though.
I reckon a SF govt in the Republic puts a UI backward.

They'll f**k it up to the point where the economic voter won't be interested.
Dublin4
Warrior Assassin

Post by Dublin4 »

SF will be less than half of a government with Fianna Fail and the Greens.
If they screw up the economy then there won't be a united Ireland any time soon.
But to avoid damaging the economy. SF will have to jettison a lot of the freebies they have promised like free houses and free childcare, and reducing the pension age. In that event, their voters will be completely disillusioned and turn on them. The greens will want rapid progress on eliminating carbon which is going to annoy the hell out of rural voters who like their diesel SUVs. Some headache for Fianna Fail to resolve.

It's going to be very interesting.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Take it it's still FG in leafy D4?
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

big mervyn wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:25 pm Take it it's still FG in leafy D4?
Well Eoghan Murphy FG (Housing Minister) retained his seat in Dublin Bay South. You'd imagine if he was in almost any other constituency he would have lost out.

FG did not get the second seat. Even here SF grabbed a seat......though it was Chris Andrews. The Andrews are a well known family of FF for generations so some of this could have a personal rather than party vote.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Amiga500 wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:36 am

I reckon a SF govt in the Republic puts a UI backward.

They'll f**k it up to the point where the economic voter won't be interested.
Or they could be a roaring success and eventually Ireland united and free could take its place among the most successful and best managed countries in the world. Up the Republic, Up the....ah.....defence forces of Ireland. :D
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Dublin4 wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:08 am The Republic of Ireland easily affords a welfare state with benefits higher than in the UK while running a budget surplus, having full employment and a growing economy.
The Republic has, however, a problem with health as it spends as much as the UK but gets poor value for money. The rising population has taken the system by surprise and you get places like Limerick where the main hospital is just too small to cater for the demand. health professionals are allowed get away with restrictive work practices as well.
We also have a housing problem in Dublin and other cities partly due to the economic boom and partly due to an ideological objection to large scale building of social housing by the outgoing right wing government. We need to build ten 1,000 homes size multi-storey dense developments in Dublin to cater for the lower paid and homeless. There is a big problem with NIMBYism, not least around where I live and the local residents object to everything proposed. (I like the new acronym, BANANAs - Build absolutely nothing anywhere near anybody) .

Sinn Fein played that brilliantly. Parents are fed up with their offspring living with them with their partners and the kids are p eed off living with the parents and not being able to have sex in peace and quiet.
Agreed on the hospitals. The stupidly named University Hospital Limerick is far too small to cater for the Mid West region. However I will say the service when you actually manage to get in there is excellent. The A&E there however is a disaster. They completed the new A&E in the last year or so and it is even worse, if possible, than the old A&E. Poorly planned and poorly managed.

When I was a child there were 3 public hospitals in Limerick serving far fewer folk than today. Now we have 2 and the damned A&E in John's in the city closes about 5pm so everything gets shunted out to the Regional.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Dublin4 wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:16 pm Some headache for Fianna Fail to resolve.

You'd almost have sympathy for Micheál Martin. No not really. >TLGH
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

It's very decent of Boris to offer to build a bridge linking the future independent Celtic natipns.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

I object to Ireland being called a Celtic country or a Celtic Nation. The blow-in Celts only arrived approx 2500 years ago. My family were here a few thousand years before that. Fecking Celt invaders!!