A little bit of politics folks`

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: A little bit of politics folks`

Post by Snipe Watson »

Lurgan Lad wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 5:04 pm
Hans Indaruck wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 8:38 am
Snipe Watson wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 10:43 pm
Lurgan Lad wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 3:53 pm Will be interesting to see what the apparent division in the DUP will result in, the most obvious result will be a Sinn Fein first minister. Hopefully Beattie can be a good leader for the UUP and attract an increased share of the vote.

Wondering why Poots doesn't want to be first minister, is it because he doesn't want to work with themuns?
They will collapse the institutions before allowing a SF first minster.
Then the subsequent elections will ensure a SF First Minister with the split unionist vote!
Sounds like if SF don't agree to the proposed first minister there will be elections, so the big question is will they look after self interest or the best interests of the country. SF first minister is inevitable at some point so that wouldn't bother me a whole lot, I think what we need is SDLP, Alliance and UUP working better together to show that there is an alternative to extremist politics on both sides. Grab the bull by the horns, produce joint policies in areas like education that a competent government would actually endorse.
I'm assuming you mean a single integrated education system? The problem there is that the CCMS estate is owned by the Catholic Church, not the state. The chances of them giving up all of that land and control must be close to zero and that's for starters.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Snipe Watson wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:42 pm
Lurgan Lad wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 3:53 pm Will be interesting to see what the apparent division in the DUP will result in, the most obvious result will be a Sinn Fein first minister. Hopefully Beattie can be a good leader for the UUP and attract an increased share of the vote.

Wondering why Poots doesn't want to be first minister, is it because he doesn't want to work with themuns?
Then the subsequent elections will ensure a SF First Minister with the split unionist vote!
Sounds like if SF don't agree to the proposed first minister there will be elections, so the big question is will they look after self interest or the best interests of the country. SF first minister is inevitable at some point so that wouldn't bother me a whole lot, I think what we need is SDLP, Alliance and UUP working better together to show that there is an alternative to extremist politics on both sides. Grab the bull by the horns, produce joint policies in areas like education that a competent government would actually endorse.
I'm assuming you mean a single integrated education system? The problem there is that the CCMS estate is owned by the Catholic Church, not the state. The chances of them giving up all of that land and control must be close to zero and that's for starters.
Yes CCMS is the biggest 'problem'. From their point of view, they approach education from a holistic persective, growing the whole person, including their spiritual development. State schools simply aim at producing kids who know more. I know it's not really as simple as that but, in general terms, there is a clear difference in educational philosophy. CCMS won't be happy to give ground and state schools have no ground to give.
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

solidarity wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:20 pm
Snipe Watson wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:42 pm

Yes CCMS is the biggest 'problem'. From their point of view, they approach education from a holistic persective, growing the whole person, including their spiritual development. State schools simply aim at producing kids who know more. I know it's not really as simple as that but, in general terms, there is a clear difference in educational philosophy. CCMS won't be happy to give ground and state schools have no ground to give.
To me this is the biggest opportunity to normalise our society, and given that the state funds the CCMS schools I think they have good leverage. Not saying it is going to be easy, no idea how much engagement has went on in the past, but it is such a big opportunity to produce a real positive change in society.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Lurgan Lad wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:26 pm To me this is the biggest opportunity to normalise our society, and given that the state funds the CCMS schools I think they have good leverage. Not saying it is going to be easy, no idea how much engagement has went on in the past, but it is such a big opportunity to produce a real positive change in society.
Defunding Catholic schools? That'll not fly.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Blame the cafflicks
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

big mervyn wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 1:54 am
justinr73 wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 12:51 am Only lived here for six months.

Realised I hadn’t received a bill for rates and phoned up.

Apparently, they aren’t ready yet.

So the council doesn’t need two months income then???
They certainly do. Those bonfires and riots don't clean themselves up afterwards!

You have your friendly Finance minister and erstwhile convicted terrorist, Conor Murphy to thank.

Last year's bill was delayed by 2 months to ease short term financial pressures on ratepayers due to Covid. This year's bill will similarly be issued at the end of May to take that into consideration.

Btw, if you pay in full, you should get a 4% reduction - not a bad deal given the current interest rates.
Got mine on Saturday Justin. Extortionate for what they do but you do get 4% off if you pay by July 9.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Aye - me too.

Leaving it on the table for now in the hope that the wife will pay it.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

I've been told that we pay extra rates because we, with all the other houses round us, have a pretty special view over Belfast Lough. Sounds a bit odd, so can anyone tell me if this just might be true?
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

solidarity wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:51 pm I've been told that we pay extra rates because we, with all the other houses round us, have a pretty special view over Belfast Lough. Sounds a bit odd, so can anyone tell me if this just might be true?
It's linked to the value of your property, so if your splendid view adds to the value of your house, then yes.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
mid ulster maestro
Warrior Chief

Post by mid ulster maestro »

A woman in Cherryvalley was asked what the rates were. She replied "No rates, just mice".
When the bottom has fallen out of your world.
Take Enos and let the world fall out of your bottom!
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

big mervyn wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:15 pm
solidarity wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:51 pm I've been told that we pay extra rates because we, with all the other houses round us, have a pretty special view over Belfast Lough. Sounds a bit odd, so can anyone tell me if this just might be true?
It's linked to the value of your property, so if your splendid view adds to the value of your house, then yes.
Aha. That does make sense. Thanks Merv. :thumleft:
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

Snipe Watson wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:37 pm
Lurgan Lad wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:26 pm To me this is the biggest opportunity to normalise our society, and given that the state funds the CCMS schools I think they have good leverage. Not saying it is going to be easy, no idea how much engagement has went on in the past, but it is such a big opportunity to produce a real positive change in society.
Defunding Catholic schools? That'll not fly.
I'm not really suggesting that, just trying to work out solutions. Just so I understand it, are literally all Catholic schools at all age groups owned by the Catholic church, even in instances where a school might move to a new site? Did I hear about a Catholic school becoming integrated, is it still owned by the church? Does the church profit from the state through this agreement, or how does it work? When did this arrangement start, was it before the troubles? Final question, and to be fair I could probably look this all up on the internet, but what way is it in the south? Sorry, my head must have been in the sand the past 40 odd years of my life and while I was aware of the CCMS I wasn't aware it was effectively owned by a church, just thought it was influenced by it.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

If the state stopped funding voluntary grammars we'd probably end up with a few private schools.
Big Neville Southall
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

What's Trevor Ringland at?. He must be either naive, stupid, deluded or chasing a knighthood.
Big Neville Southall
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Another cunning plan dreamt up in tory HQ. Utterly pointless.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?