Whats everyone currently reading?

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Whats everyone currently reading?

Post by damianmcr »

Currently on Vol 3 of Stephen Kings The Dark Tower. Very good reads so far.

One of them books that you just cant put down.
breakdown
Red Hand Ambassador

Re: Whats everyone currently reading?

Post by breakdown »

Game of Thrones books are great, a tad tedious in parts but provided you havent seen the tv series yet, theyre a great read. If you have interest in them but havent seen them, id recommend reading the books before watching the series.

Anything by David Baldacci is also a good call
Chris Henry is superhuman... I think he's half cyborg
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

Ive read them all breakdown. Fantastic books. Big Stark and Stannis fan. Stannis is a brilliant character.

Ive recognise the name but know none of his works.

Ive the Wheel of Time series to read after The Dark Tower. Im not wise!
breakdown
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by breakdown »

Ive read the first one, so need to get onto the second one at some point. Great books, really like the idea that no one is guarenteed not to be killed off during it, its quite open in that regard
Chris Henry is superhuman... I think he's half cyborg
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

Statecraft-Strategies for a Changing World. :salut:
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
Ithryn
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Ithryn »

The wheel of time is awesome, very long to get into in one go, it does drag in the middle but rest assured that the last 4 are awesome.

I gave up on the dark tower series, just couldn't buy into the way the genres change, it's a cool idea but it broke my suspension of disbelief while reading it.

Current reading the clockwork century series by Cherie priest, as steampunk airships, zombies and the mid west in the American civil war all in one big enjoyable mix.
Why? Why not?
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

Ithryn wrote:The wheel of time is awesome, very long to get into in one go, it does drag in the middle but rest assured that the last 4 are awesome.

I gave up on the dark tower series, just couldn't buy into the way the genres change, it's a cool idea but it broke my suspension of disbelief while reading it.

Current reading the clockwork century series by Cherie priest, as steampunk airships, zombies and the mid west in the American civil war all in one big enjoyable mix.
Tell me, do you happen to play a lot of online fantasy games?
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Kofi Annan wrote:Statecraft-Strategies for a Changing World. :salut:
Seriously good book by Mrs T pretty heavy reading though :thumleft:
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett. Only just started but a good book so far.
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

ruckover wrote:Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett. Only just started but a good book so far.
Watched, well started to watch the tv series a few years ago, couldn't get it.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Kofi Annan wrote:
ruckover wrote:Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett. Only just started but a good book so far.
Watched, well started to watch the tv series a few years ago, couldn't get it.
The TV adaptation was tom kite imo. I gave up too.

The book, on the other hand, is a good read.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

LastKnightoftheproms wrote:
Rooster wrote:
Careful chaps, Mrs T is the love that dare not speak it's name on uafc. :lol:
Evil old baaaaaaaaaastard >threaten
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Ithryn
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Ithryn »

Kofi Annan wrote:
Ithryn wrote:The wheel of time is awesome, very long to get into in one go, it does drag in the middle but rest assured that the last 4 are awesome.

Tell me, do you happen to play a lot of online fantasy games?
What gave me away lol.
Why? Why not?
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
LastKnightoftheproms wrote:
Rooster wrote:
Careful chaps, Mrs T is the love that dare not speak it's name on uafc. :lol:
Evil old baaaaaaaaaastard >threaten
who, Me?
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

I'm a bit of a sucker for a peeler mystery, and particularly a series of books based on a character both Yank & Brit, favourite authors are Michael Connelly Harry Bosch series, used to like Harlen Coben but he's gone a bit crap, Lee Childs (Brit but US based) Reacher, John Connolly (Irish but US subjects) Charlie Parker series.

None of these is remotely taxing but a decent read & easy to pick up if you haven't read any for a few days, though I usually read every day a few times, that's what loos are for after all & I don't buy papers anymore.

I'd read 20-30 books a year so throw in quite a few stand alone buys also. Very occasionally I'd read something serious but I doubt I'll read War & Peace again. >EW Love Bill Bryson books & would read comapanion books for TV shows like Prof Lovely's Solar System & Universe.

At present I'm into Scottish peelers so Quintin Jardine's Skinner series, Ian Rankin's Rebus & currently Stuart MacBride's Logan MacRae series.

On my 8th MacBride book, Close to the Bone, which as usual is grisly but a lot of humour, number 9 out in January will be my first buy next year.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.