The Big Gay Cake

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Re: The Big Gay Cake

Post by big mervyn »

Russ wrote:Id love some cake right now. Big gay or otherwise
Cakw for breakfast. One of the best things about Xmas :thumleft:
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Snipe Watson wrote:
Kofi Annan wrote:It would appear that this is not the only cake issue, it's also being tested in other countries , looks like an organised gay militant attack on religious conscience, like a big gay cake war and now crossed the Atlantic to NI.
Did you really think it was anything else?
Religion has attacked and oppressed the conscience of society for generations. The lgbt community are not the only group to challenge this. The basis for religious thought is so weak that it cannot be used to control the lives of others, as is the case here in NI. Having said that I would also defend the right of the Asher bakers to refuse to make a cake should they wish, for whatever reason. This stupid cake horlix is detracting from the genuine issues of inequality and I think it will be ultimately counter-productive.
Last edited by Dave on Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Spot on Dave.

Horlix cake sounds rather good though.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
OneMore
Warrior Chief

Post by OneMore »

Dave wrote:This stupid cake horlix is detracting from the genuine issues of inequality and I think it will be ultimately couter-productive.
Nailed it. Wanting to take a bakery to court over them not making a cake is not the same as supporting gay marriage, and will alienate vast swathes of NI even further from the gay marriage movement.
namron
Warrior Chief

Post by namron »

I have never had a problem in working for the pink pound but i would defend any private enterprise right to refuse work for whatever reason. Its their own business not the governments or the equality commission or the LGBT community for that matter.
Compelling people to do work because of political correctness / ideology is wrong.
We dont need the English to win the European Cup
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

namron wrote:I have never had a problem in working for the pink pound but i would defend any private enterprise right to refuse work for whatever reason. Its their own business not the governments or the equality commission or the LGBT community for that matter.
Compelling people to do work because of political correctness / ideology is wrong.
But the logical extension of that is that you would allow shopkeepers or tradesmen to refuse to serve or do work for Jews, or Blacks based on some arbitrary prejudice and that can't be right.
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

namron wrote:I have never had a problem in working for the pink pound but i would defend any private enterprise right to refuse work for whatever reason. Its their own business not the governments or the equality commission or the LGBT community for that matter.
I think you need to rephrase that argument. Refusing to provide a service on the basis of discrimination is clearly wrong if you have set yourself up as service provider to the public and trade under public appointed licence.

Refusing to provide service in support of a political position is not discrimination(you can only discriminate against people not concepts) and only if political correctness really is gone mad could it be construed as such. So on that basis under current legislation I agree that the bakery should not be compelled to carry out this service.

Denying consenting adults the right to state recognised marriage is wrong and discriminatory in my opinion. This is what the equality commission should be focusing on.....taking the state to court if necessary to update legislation. Of course they wouldn't be interested in that. It is better and easier to play silly games with some in the homosexual lobby groups about cake-making. The best way to cut the legs off those wishing to make waves is to remove the unnecessary water from the equation.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Yes.

They had every right to deny service on any grounds other than discriminatory.

All they had to say was

We don't have the capacity to make your cake

If the cake munchers believed they were being discriminated against then they would have a hard time proving this
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Shan wrote:
I think you need to rephrase that argument. Refusing to provide a service on the basis of discrimination is clearly wrong if you have set yourself up as service provider to the public and trade under public appointed licence.

Refusing to provide service in support of a political position is not discrimination(you can only discriminate against people not concepts) and only if political correctness really is gone mad could it be construed as such. So on that basis under current legislation I agree that the bakery should not be compelled to carry out this service.

Denying consenting adults the right to state recognised marriage is wrong and discriminatory in my opinion. It This is what the equality commission should be focusing on.....taking the state to court if necessary to update legislation. Of course they wouldn't be interested in that. It is better and easier to play silly games with some in the homosexual lobby groups about cake-making. The best way to cut the legs off those wishing to make waves is to remove the unnecessary water from the equation.
It's not currently recognized in NI Shan, though I'd wager they would also have issues making one that celebrated a civil partnership, which is.

Wonder what other political slogans they've printed in the past?. I'm assuming there isn't a blanket ban or they would likely have said so.
Big Neville Southall
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

big mervyn wrote:
It's not currently recognized in NI Shan, though I'd wager they would also have issues making one that celebrated a civil partnership, which is.

Wonder what other political slogans they've printed in the past?. I'm assuming there isn't a blanket ban or they would likely have said so.

Yes Mervyn and it is also not recognised here. My point is that the law itself is discriminatory. The state should not be able to deny folk the right and privileges of marriage to consenting adults. Constitutionally our hands are tied here until we have a referendum. I don't think we should even be permitted to have a choice on denying freedom to our citizens but I am afraid the constitution does not work that way and we do reserve that disgusting right.

As long as it does restrict freedom we will see instances of folk fighting to gain that freedom which they and I would see as a right. The Gay Lobby has gained popularity and strength over the years. Some folk are upset about that. Boo Hoo. Some folk were upset about Civil Rights activists too both in these parts and in the US not a million years ago. Whenever you deny somebody freedom and equality you are asking for somebody to react. I know for some there is an advantage in that but for the general population it makes no sense at all to be in the business of denying folks freedom and then whinging because those folk are not happy to accept that.

The wheel turns slowly- People are mostly conservative by nature and enjoy the status quo. Some, but I'd hope the minority, even like the idea of denying to others what has no impact in any way on their own lives. Like I said- in years to come society will pour scorn on our society as backward as we do today to a society in the past which deemed slavery as right, proper and legal.

This business with cakes and targetting religious folk publicly could all be swept away if we stopped denying folk freedom. That is my position Society has asked for this situation and now they are getting it.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Russ wrote:Now the Welsh are offended!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-29956188
Retarded stuff from Lidl results in outcry. What a f-cking surprise.

In supermarkets in town here I have heard some of the girls on the checkouts speaking to each other in Polish and then speaking to me in English. I like that. Denying somebody the right to speak in their own language at work when the customer is not impacted is an attack on freedom and should be fought on all fronts.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Like whispering in public it annoys when your excluded from a conversation . It is a form of ignorance but is ignorance a crime .
Back to the big cake I wonder if the shop owner had asked the two guys in return for the cake to display one they would supply free starring "don't support gay marriage " as a condition to baking the cake would they still have taken umbrage or would they have walked out to take their business elsewhere .

Because the truth is it was not the customer who the problem but the message on the cake .

A bit like going to Kinghill And being asked to support Saracens

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Shan wrote:

This business with cakes and targetting religious folk publicly could all be swept away if we stopped denying folk freedom. That is my position Society has asked for this situation and now they are getting it.
You could say in this case though that the gay activists are denying the religious people their freedom
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Visions of the future

The people of the Shankill ordering Cakes on the Falls

Let them walk home

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist