2015 - The General Election - Discussion Forum

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: 2015 - The General Election - Discussion Forum

Post by Snipe Watson »

There is no money and there's not going to be any for most of the next parliament. The model of recovery being proposed by the Tories is going to involve pain for a lot of people. The model of recovery being proposed by Labour is a jumbled mishmash that makes no sense whatsoever. If Labour want to win, they need to bring Gordon Brown in to tell them what to do, because Ed and Ed have no idea. I am no fan of Cameron and Osborne, but the alternative looks bleak.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Telegraph have an excellent piece today where you select your area and they ask you the same questions they asked every political party

Depending on your answers you get matched to a party who they suggest you vote for

We all tried it in work. There is nobody in my area for me to vote for

I do however live in Tower Hamlets of dodgy elections of independents where nobody is running
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Russ wrote:Telegraph have an excellent piece today where you select your area and they ask you the same questions they asked every political party

Depending on your answers you get matched to a party who they suggest you vote for

We all tried it in work. There is nobody in my area for me to vote for

I do however live in Tower Hamlets of dodgy elections of independents where nobody is running
Could be worse, you could have a choice of the tribal elders like we have.
It is pitiful really when you look at what passes for politicians and political parties here.
Wee Woman
Lord Chancellor

Post by Wee Woman »

Snipe Watson wrote:There is no money and there's not going to be any for most of the next parliament. The model of recovery being proposed by the Tories is going to involve pain for a lot of people. The model of recovery being proposed by Labour is a jumbled mishmash that makes no sense whatsoever. If Labour want to win, they need to bring Gordon Brown in to tell them what to do, because Ed and Ed have no idea. I am no fan of Cameron and Osborne, but the alternative looks bleak.
Totally agree Snipe, if the people of GB return Ed & Ed to power they only have themselves to blame. They are a shambles.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Once a Knight wrote:
Actually, Darling.......
:shock: :shock: Jeepers I panicked there for a moment. Then I saw the D
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Once a Knight wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:There is no money and there's not going to be any for most of the next parliament. The model of recovery being proposed by the Tories is going to involve pain for a lot of people. The model of recovery being proposed by Labour is a jumbled mishmash that makes no sense whatsoever. If Labour want to win, they need to bring Gordon Brown in to tell them what to do, because Ed and Ed have no idea. I am no fan of Cameron and Osborne, but the alternative looks bleak.
Actually, Darling, is the unsung hero post 2007. Gordon "no return to boom and bust" Brown tried to strong arm him and Alistair pushed back and did the right thing at the right time.

The two Ed's are a busted flush economically as they spent the first half of the parliament opposing the economic package and predicting ruination and "flatlining" only to find that it has worked and that, whilst far from perfect, Britain has low unemployment and relatively high growth compared to the rest of Europe.

Like I said above, depends what frightens you most, labour in charge of the economy or the Tories in charge of the NHS. Welfare is a red herring - both will cut it. Labour by less because they'll rob my pension pot.

It's nice to have proper politics to talk about.
Tories only pay the consultant bills in the NHS

KPMG hold all the aces Image
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Snipe Watson wrote:
Once a Knight wrote:
Actually, Darling.......
:shock: :shock: Jeepers I panicked there for a moment. Then I saw the D
Darling panics me a lot more than darling

One is an affectionate name. The other is a clueless chube
shamalicious
Lord Chancellor

Post by shamalicious »

I notice Dave is resorting to personal insults rather than actually outlining his policies.

Also love how IDS thinks it's not relevant to detail where the welfare cuts will fall till after the election. The Nasty Party indeed.
Nevin Spence 26 April 1990 – 15 September 2012 gone but never forgotten
Wee Woman
Lord Chancellor

Post by Wee Woman »

shamalicious wrote:I notice Dave is resorting to personal insults rather than actually outlining his policies.

Also love how IDS thinks it's not relevant to detail where the welfare cuts will fall till after the election. The Nasty Party indeed.
Yep but at least you know where you are with the Tories, I don't think anyone knows what they're going to get with the current Labour offering tbh.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

mikerob wrote:I'm just reading a book called "The Establishment" by Owen Jones - it's a hatchet job on the senior reaches of British society.

I didn't realise that Miliband senior has earned over a million quid since stepping aside from politics from a whole set of consultancy work, advisory roles and the like.

Realistically, are there any Westminster politicians who are there because they believe in a cause? Or is politics just a stepping stone to get your snout in the trough because you are a bit miffed that contemporaries working in law, finance etc. all earn more than you? Policies friendly to a particular company = a highly paid job advising that company sometime in the future. It isn't party political either, they are all at it...
Anecdotally at least we are seeing the new politician, a young well educated - or at least having been to the right schools/unis - chaps & chapesses who have little or no life experience starting out in politics with a view to early retirement & personal enrichment.

Look at Call me Dave's declared situation, wants to be a 10 year PM then hand it over .............. and what, sit on the back benches? I very much doubt it, he will have seen the sleekid and most disappointing Blair, set about personal enrichment with a relish that could be termed unseemly.

For a politician, the money in their positions is decent but modest, they are like so many Christians, it's the afterlife they are counting on, but uniquely they don't have to die first, more is the pity in the majority of cases.

Call me Dave has his eyes on the prize, Gideon will quietly fancy following suit but given his apprenticeship in no11 he may well see a mere one term as PM as his route to the promised land. These two are already "comfortable" by all accounts but why be comfortable when you can be super rich, like that other Tory, Blair?
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Wee Woman wrote:
shamalicious wrote:I notice Dave is resorting to personal insults rather than actually outlining his policies.

Yep but at least you know where you are with the Tories, I don't think anyone knows what they're going to get with the current Labour offering tbh.
WW you must be fabulously remunerated in your daily grind if you are looking forward to 2-3 years of cuts much deeper than we have so far seen.

I have to say that I am hoping to see a hung parliament with a labour led coalition, probably requiring both Lib Dem & SNP backing. Indeed, though probably too much to hope for, I'd like any sort of minority government who rely on the backing of others on a vote by vote basis. Not a recipe for strong government, but I don't see any potential government that I could support with any degree of optimism, so next best thing would be a weak Labour or Tory government that would not be able to work on doctrine, as the Tories, with power crazed oaf Clegg in tow, have, rather one beholding to consensus.

As an old fart with a raft of ailments my priority is the NHS, perhap the only thing worth living in the UK for, if you discount Ulster Rugby. The Tories have had 5 years of wrecking it so far, I fear what they will do to it with another 5, especially if elected outright and therefore unfettered.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Wee Woman
Lord Chancellor

Post by Wee Woman »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
Wee Woman wrote:

WW you must be fabulously remunerated in your daily grind if you are looking forward to 2-3 years of cuts much deeper than we have so far seen.

I have to say that I am hoping to see a hung parliament with a labour led coalition, probably requiring both Lib Dem & SNP backing.
I wish Baggy, I just prefer the devil you know to the devil you don't. Labour don't even know themselves ffs.

The Lib Dems will throw their hat into the ring with anyone such is their desperation and the SNP?? They are only in it to try and land another Independence referendum and to stick their the ore into another country's affairs (cos they can). God help us if that happens.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Anyone thinking Dave Camoron will be the same as last 4 years must think again (he has been bloody awful) He has announced a second term will be his last term. If he gets in expect him to be more and more ideological. He wants to make his mark and be remembered as a great tory! God help the nhs if he gets back in. At least the lib dems had some kind of weakening of pure tory ideology. Imagine that being replaced with dup/ukip coalition.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Tories looking good to need just support from DUP or Lib Dems at the moment

Labour will need SNP Walesfeck and LibDem to pass votes

UkIP floundering
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Russ wrote:Tories looking good to need just support from DUP or Lib Dems at the moment

Labour will need SNP Walesfeck and LibDem to pass votes

UkIP floundering
The prediction at the minute is 285 seats for the Torys and 273 for Labour. Both well short of a majority.

If any UK party goes into a formal coalition with any of our numpties, the peace process will be away to feck.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall