OK this is tricky

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

OK this is tricky

Post by BaggyTrousers »

I am prepared to face some irritated and/or angry people, but here we go. My intent with this is not to be offensive, but enquiring.

I hear today complaints from disabled athletes that they have no representation in the SPOTY nominations. Got me thinking, should there be? Well actually I believe there should be, but in a separate category but part of the main show.

Now I am glad that those who are unfortunate in terms of disability have opportunities to participate in a wide range of sports & other activities, I think that the fact that many are able to make a living is remarkable & fair play to them but this notion that they must be recognised. Well, I'm not entirely sure of the merits of that argument.

I have absolutely no interest in watching disabled sport, I wouldn't make a point of turning it off necessarily, I just don't seek it out and watch it. I think in a way disabled sport is biting the hand that feeds to an extent, for TV has brought their efforts to a mass public and enable them to make it a job for many. I'd guess women's wendyball or rugby would kill for the coverage the paralympics has received.

I'm also not convinced by the bint who said, "when Andy Murray wins 7 grand slams in a row, come back and talk to me" but the truth is that many sports for the disabled have to make such efforts to make it fair that the skill is diluted over so many subsections that it's quite common for an athlete/sportsperson to dominate their event t a degree rarely if ever seen in the able bodied world. I believe there are literally dozens of categories for the 100 metres for example.

To me, having a disabled athlete, come what may, is something akin to rewarding every child taking part on sports day with a silly medal. It's a wee pat on the head, for I very much doubt that more than 5% of the population who are actively interested in sport would hold any sense of equivalence with "real" sport.

So there you go, that is my opinion on it, I wondered how others think.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: OK this is tricky

Post by BR »

I think some 'disabled' sports are worth viewing and stand on their own two feet (err ... you know what I mean). Wheelchair 'Rugby' for example. Seated Volleyball (??). Both sports which largely ignore the participants individual disabilities. Would they receive TV airtime without a pro-disability agenda? No. But they exist and those competing deserve exactly the same recognition as any other minority sport.

For the more restrictive sports (largely those which are versions of those 'normal' sports, but in which you need a doctor's note to enter in the first place; and only compete against people with similar problems) - I tend to agree with you BT.

As for SPOTY - not bothered.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Pretty much the same as you.

No matter how dedicated or talented the competitors there's no comparison with mainstream sport. Just look at the 100m - 15!
different categories at the last Paralympics.

I always bet on the paralympics though. It's a sure thing - they're all winners.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

... .and SPOTY? Wouldn't watch that steaming pile of keek if you paid me.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

big mervyn wrote:... .and SPOTY? Wouldn't watch that steaming pile of keek if you paid me.
I used to but not for a while now, certainly won't be worried a jot about it with twatts like Fury & Hamilton. Heard the list today on the wireless when the disabled were gurning, some names I'd never heard of - Bronze, did I hear that correctly, Peachy???

The only thing I know about them is that obviously they are not disabled. :roll:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
HairyJ
Initiate

Post by HairyJ »

David Weir, Ellie Simmonds and Sarah Storey were nominated in 2012, when the public were aware of their paralympic success.

You could ask 100 random people on the street to name a disabled athlete who had success in 2015 and I'd be surprised if anyone knew. Do they want a token nomination, just because? I think that's entirely the wrong thing to do, let them be nominated on their own merit like the great Tanni Grey-Thompson, who was known as both an athlete and a personality.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
big mervyn wrote:... .and SPOTY? Wouldn't watch that steaming pile of keek if you paid me.
I used to but not for a while now, certainly won't be worried a jot about it with twatts like Fury & Hamilton. Heard the list today on the wireless when the disabled were gurning, some names I'd never heard of - Bronze, did I hear that correctly, Peachy???

The only thing I know about them is that obviously they are not disabled. :roll:
6 reasons why it is a load of oul ballix (these are all previous winners)

Princess Anne
Zara Phillips
Greg Feckin Rusedski - how bad was it that year? :lol:
Nigel Mansell TWICE!!!!
Damon Hill TWICE!!!
Steve. Interesting Davis

Plus a load of figure skaters and plenty of plucky Brits who excelled at coming 2nd over the years - take a bow Stirling Moss

Hate the show hate the presenters hate the British public. Burn 'em all and Merry Feckin Xmas :lol:
Big Neville Southall
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

big mervyn wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:

Princess Anne
Zara Phillips
Greg Feckin Rusedski - how bad was it that year? Image
Nigel Mansell TWICE!!!!
Damon Hill TWICE!!!
Steve. Interesting Davis

Plus a load of figure skaters and plenty of plucky Brits who excelled at coming 2nd over the years - take a bow Stirling Moss

Hate the show hate the presenters hate the British public. Burn 'em all and Merry Feckin Xmas Image
Only 1 reason why people should be wary

Ryan Giggs
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

HairyJ wrote:David Weir, Ellie Simmonds and Sarah Storey were nominated in 2012, when the public were aware of their paralympic success.

You could ask 100 random people on the street to name a disabled athlete who had success in 2015 and I'd be surprised if anyone knew. Do they want a token nomination, just because? I think that's entirely the wrong thing to do, let them be nominated on their own merit like the great Tanni Grey-Thompson, who was known as both an athlete and a personality.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
When did being a dwarf become a disability?
Should big lanky Toner not be allowed in?

I was also surprised to discover that "learning difficulties" also qualifies. Is that not covered in the Special Olympics? At what point does "learning difficulties" become "special"?
Big Neville Southall
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Russ wrote:
big mervyn wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:

Princess Anne
Zara Phillips
Nigel Mansell TWICE!!!!
Damon Hill TWICE!!!
Steve. Interesting Davis

Hate the show hate the presenters hate the British public. Burn 'em all and Merry Feckin Xmas Image

Ryan Giggs
Not banging his drum but he's more worthy than that shower of excrement.
Big Neville Southall
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

big mervyn wrote:
Russ wrote:
big mervyn wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:

Princess Anne
Zara Phillips
Nigel Mansell TWICE!!!!
Damon Hill TWICE!!!
Steve. Interesting Davis

Ryan Giggs
Not banging his drum but he's more worthy than that shower of excrement.
To be honest he's not

He is lowlige vermin
rorybestsbigbaldnoggin
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rorybestsbigbaldnoggin »

Greg Rusedski.

Big Greg.

Jesus.
It's the hope that kills you.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Russ wrote:
big mervyn wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:

Princess Anne
Zara Phillips
Nigel Mansell TWICE!!!!
Damon Hill TWICE!!!
Steve. Interesting Davis

Ryan Giggs
You mean Shagger Giggs????
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
Russ wrote:
big mervyn wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:

Princess Anne
Zara Phillips
Nigel Mansell TWICE!!!!
Damon Hill TWICE!!!
Steve. Interesting Davis

Ryan Giggs
Pretty sure Corbyn said we can't call him that
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Russ wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:
Pretty sure Corbyn said we can't call him that