Whisky Drinkers

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Whisky Drinkers

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Once a Knight wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:
Once a Knight wrote:Firstly, I merely mentioned that "on the nose" there was the vague whiff of germolene. I did not say it tasted of germolene.

Secondly, Talisker would be my call.

Thirdly, for anyone who goes to Glasgow and likes to dine well after the match, there is a superb establishment called the Ubiquitous Chip. On their menu, they sell a sampler plate of Whisky. There you can choose 3 25ml glasses from the very well stocked list. The lists are regional. For example, highland or island. Etc. Now, my memory is that all whiskys within the regions were represented and indeed there were Whiskys where the distillery was now out of business.

Might I suggest, you organise yourself an "away day tasting"? I may be capable of being persuaded to join you. >EW
Hmmmmmmmmm, a tasting day, eh? Well we could try it out as a theory on the 29th and maybe take a day trip to Scotland if we survive it :lol: :lol: :lol:

Roll on the 29th, when I shall be using my Ould Lad's Pass on NIR. They may have to wake me up again when I reach Bengir-on-Sea. :shock:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

If last years "dinner" was any yard stick I'd be concerned that we may wake up on the 30th and find somehow that we are in Glasgow with no recollection of how we got there! :shock:

I'm honestly sorry about the Laphroaig remark. There's a definite whiff of germolene though. :lol:
Don't be, sure what a friend gets is never wasted :thumleft:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

A couple of years ago I managed to purchase a bottle of Port Ellen 78 & 82. I would never think of drinking them but maybe one day when Ulster dominate the world..
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
namron
Warrior Chief

Post by namron »

Im partial to the odd drop of Bushmills malt or Jamesons whiskeys. Most Island Scotches are a little too peaty/salty for my Palate. I have enjoyed Old Pulteney recently introduced by a friend of mine and I have to admit I was completely taken with it complex smooth and creamy with a pleasant honeyesque linger. Yum. Problem was 95 quid a bottle :shock: …but worth it i think >drink1
We dont need the English to win the European Cup
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

I could drink Black Bush, Jamesons or JD if I was offered them but that's about it.
I went to a NIWSI whisky tasting in Belfast Castle and tried the full gamut but nat for me. Some of them hadn't been bottled and were served at cask strength i.e. 60%+ abv. Definitely a drop of water required, and an answer to anyone who says that it should never be added - it already has been!

Brandy or dark rum (no ice or mixers in any of these of course) are my preferred dark spirits.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

If ever down munster way go and do the tour of Jamesons .

The flavour does not increase id a bottle but from the cask

Americian distilled once, Scotch twice, and Irish three times Americians use prime casks but the Irish use either Sherry or Port casks which add flavour and colour the longer its in the cask the more it evaporates which is why 15 and 20 year old whiskeys are so dear.

Personnally not that fond of Bush ,a couple of bad experiences nearly lost my voice once , much prefer a Crested Ten or Red Breast there are those who can afford MIDLETON but its to much to pay when the by the third glass it all tastes the same.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Yoda
Initiate

Post by Yoda »

Glenfiddich 12 or 15 is good

Recently tried Johnnie Walker Double black, rich flavour with better after taste
222toHounslow
Warrior Chief

Post by 222toHounslow »

Kofi Annan wrote:Teeling, yuk like sipping pìss that was siphoned through a pair of flegs 18yr used boxers....disgusting. Jura can be nice, yellow spot or green spot my I believe the same makers of Midleton. Mrs Annan has got me a nice bottle for Xmas day, well I mean is she bloody well better.
I knew you were a Clandhu man Kofi, top quality.
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

big mervyn wrote:I could drink Black Bush, Jamesons or JD if I was offered them but that's about it.
I went to a NIWSI whisky tasting in Belfast Castle and tried the full gamut but nat for me. Some of them hadn't been bottled and were served at cask strength i.e. 60%+ abv. Definitely a drop of water required, and an answer to anyone who says that it should never be added - it already has been!

Brandy or dark rum (no ice or mixers in any of these of course) are my preferred dark spirits.
mer… never got into the dark rum world although my da did. Have you ever tried Angostura it is the only rum that I can manage but do love a quality puncheon.
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Once a Knight wrote:Rum, you generalise and as for your sage advice on casks - well again you generalise. Different manufacturers all use different cask types depending on what they are seeking to achieve. Indeed, there are even UK based distillers who will even use Bourbon casks. >EW

The best piece of advice in your piece is that Crested 10 is a stonkingly good Whiskey. I enjoy Jamiesons 12 year old but Crested 10 is by far their best standard offering. :thumleft:
We're agreed on Crested 10 then, Redbreast too Rum'n. Hard to beat a good Irish, not really sure why I'm on a whisky quest when whiskey is superior but sure ....... you're a long time dead and it's coming down the track PDQ.

Have just open my Jura Superstition, just over a couple of ice cubes. Initially though, Oi, that's a bit bland, then came a rush of heat and smoke, pretty nice and lots of peat in the aftertaste. I'll keep it.

Feck, I'll soon be finding twists of autumn straw, sharp acidity of freshly cut grass and granny smiths, with lingering caramel notes. Aye right, it tastes like whisky to me. >EW
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

OVER ICE, :duh: :duh: :duh: burn him
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Kofi Annan wrote:OVER ICE, :duh: :duh: :duh: burn him
Feck off you, ya great gulpin
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

A wee drap of water and not that chlorine infested pish that comes from the tap but praper spring water.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
HairyJ
Initiate

Post by HairyJ »

Tap water is grand round these rural parts, we've the kitchen tap hooked up to a spring up the back and it's hard to whack some Glenshane spring water in your wee half 'un of Crested Ten ;)

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
Ithryn
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Ithryn »

Talisker, if your after peaty whiskey, that's not quite as overpowering as laphroig.

Black Bush is my go to whiskey. But if your after a special Irish Whiskey try Middleton, although it's expensive.

Redbrest by the same distillery is very very drinkable.smooth, hardly any burn, can easily go through several glasses without realising.
Why? Why not?
Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Post by Deraless »

Prefer Irish (obv) but don't mind a bit of peat either. Redbreast and Greenspot are single pot still varieties and Irish gems.

I see Jameson's are bottling their Caskmates again. Got a bottle of this first time around (Vineyard on Ormeau) and it's the smoothest whiskey I've drunk. It's Jameson's finished off in stout barrels from the Franciscan Well brewery and started off as a mad experiment but I think they know their on to a winner.

Another curve ball is Greenore which is a single grain from Cooley. Bit lighter and oilier than the norm.
Never wrestle with a pig. You end up covered in muck and the pig loves it.