Whisky Drinkers

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

HairyJ
Initiate

Re: Whisky Drinkers

Post by HairyJ »

Deraless wrote:Prefer Irish (obv) but don't mind a bit of peat either. Redbreast and Greenspot are single pot still varieties and Irish gems.

I see Jameson's are bottling their Caskmates again. Got a bottle of this first time around (Vineyard on Ormeau) and it's the smoothest whiskey I've drunk. It's Jameson's finished off in stout barrels from the Franciscan Well brewery and started off as a mad experiment but I think they know their on to a winner.

Another curve ball is Greenore which is a single grain from Cooley. Bit lighter and oilier than the norm.
I bought half a dozen bottles of Caskmates last time round and they didn't last too long.

Probably my favourite whiskey, and only a couple of quid more than a bottle of regular Jameson.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Post by Deraless »

HairyJ wrote:
Deraless wrote:Prefer Irish (obv) but don't mind a bit of peat either. Redbreast and Greenspot are single pot still varieties and Irish gems.

I see Jameson's are bottling their Caskmates again. Got a bottle of this first time around (Vineyard on Ormeau) and it's the smoothest whiskey I've drunk. It's Jameson's finished off in stout barrels from the Franciscan Well brewery and started off as a mad experiment but I think they know their on to a winner.

Another curve ball is Greenore which is a single grain from Cooley. Bit lighter and oilier than the norm.
I bought half a dozen bottles of Caskmates last time round and they didn't last too long.

Probably my favourite whiskey, and only a couple of quid more than a bottle of regular Jameson.

Yeah I was surprised at the price too.
Never wrestle with a pig. You end up covered in muck and the pig loves it.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

When it was sold the new owners dropped Greenore but they have started it again, must get a bottle of the new stuff to try it, no idea how they will be selling it though since there is bound to be a break in production.
The beer or stout casks was not a mad experiment but has been used for years by some Scottish distillers, that is how Innes and Gunn beer started out, it was standard lager put in casks to kill the tannins and then dumped the brewers son then took it forward as a beer production method using better brews.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
HairyJ
Initiate

Post by HairyJ »

Unlike my beer drinking, my whiskey drinking isn't particularly adventurous. For a man who drinks it by the bucketload, I usually stick to the known quantities (the polar opposite to my view on beer).

Have just landed home with a bottle of Jim Beam Honey and some coke (cola). It may be sacrilege to some hardcore whiskey folks but I enjoy drinking long whiskeys when I'm going for a good stiff bottle of it.

HairyJ
Initiate

Post by HairyJ »

Rooster wrote:

When it was sold the new owners dropped Greenore but they have started it again, must get a bottle of the new stuff to try it, no idea how they will be selling it though since there is bound to be a break in production.
The beer or stout casks was not a mad experiment but has been used for years by some Scottish distillers, that is how Innes and Gunn beer started out, it was standard lager put in casks to kill the tannins and then dumped the brewers son then took it forward as a beer production method using better brews.
Inis and Gunn is a quality beer when you're only kiffling at it - I'm personally delighted that someone had the wit to use whisky's character in the brewing of a beer.

Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Post by Deraless »

Franciscan Well brought out their mirror image whiskey stout but I think they were looking €15 for a bottle, so the whiskey was much better value too.
Never wrestle with a pig. You end up covered in muck and the pig loves it.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

HairyJ wrote:
Rooster wrote:

Inis and Gunn is a quality beer when you're only kiffling at it - I'm personally delighted that someone had the wit to use whisky's character in the brewing of a beer.

I thought it was a bit heavy on the oak.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

big mervyn wrote:
HairyJ wrote:
Rooster wrote:

I thought it was a bit heavy on the oak.
Can't change that as it is new oak casks they use, they have or were at least trying used sherry and bourbon casks but have lost track of what the result was.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
rocky
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rocky »

In the whisky shop at Oban, I found a Scotch called Auchantoshan. Its marketing blurb was "Triple distilled, just like Irish whiskey." It was pretty good, I have to admit.
I used to like the peaty stuff but now prefer the Highland malts; Knockando is good.
But I am an avowed drinker of Irish and my staple is the simple Bushmills. Their Millenium malt was fantastic but it's unbuyable now. Middleton is wonderful but very pricey. I will try this Jameson's Caskmates or whatever it's called, it sounds good.
Bo***cks to Brexit
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Just to add a modicum of balance to this thread, I would like to state that I find both Whisky and whiskey equally vile and just don't get the point.
That's me off now to get me coat.....
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Bruichladdich would be my own tip, unusually its an Islay spirit but unpeated. Majestic smooth and pure.

They also produce a 'heavily peated' whisky but I haven't had a taste for fear of germolene

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
Rovi Snave
Warrior

Post by Rovi Snave »

rocky wrote:In the whisky shop at Oban, I found a Scotch called Auchantoshan. Its marketing blurb was "Triple distilled, just like Irish whiskey." It was pretty good, I have to admit.
I used to like the peaty stuff but now prefer the Highland malts; Knockando is good.
But I am an avowed drinker of Irish and my staple is the simple Bushmills. Their Millenium malt was fantastic but it's unbuyable now. Middleton is wonderful but very pricey. I will try this Jameson's Caskmates or whatever it's called, it sounds good.
Now you talking Rocky - as a lifelong whiskey / whisky drinker I stumbled upon Auchantoshan about 3 years ago (bought a 50ml bottle of their 12 year old in Edinburgh) - since then I have been an avid fan - the 16 year old is great but the best is their 12 year old 3 Wood (matured in three different types of oak casks) - truly wonderful and at around £40 a bottle (at Tesco believe it or not) incredible value!!!
Finished
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

I have a bottle of the Auchantoshan triple distilled not yet open.. I recently revisited a bottle of Aberlour a'bunadh 60% proof and the last person to share a drink from it was none other than cables... A few stories we could tell.
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Cockatrice wrote:I have a bottle of the Auchantoshan triple distilled not yet open.. I recently revisited a bottle of Aberlour a'bunadh 60% proof and the last person to share a drink from it was none other than cables... A few stories we could tell.
That Aberlour is good gear CT wee drop of water and it is wonderful but has a kick like a mad mule
Rory Best
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

I can't say I'm a huge whisk(e)y fan but I was at a tasting event at the Scotch Malt Whisky Society in London a few years ago and despite the name, they also had whiskies from Ireland, Japan and Tasmania as well.

The cask strength whiskies were interesting and absolutely did need water in them as they were rocket fuel. The guy running the tasting said he wasn't allowed to call the cask whiskies by their brand name so dropped lots of hints what they were called after they were diluted and bottled... :drunken: