Whisky Drinkers

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Whisky Drinkers

Post by BaggyTrousers »

I've been a lifelong whiskey fan, Black Bush, the breakfast of champions, My snort of choice.

Many years back a client gave me a bottle of HIghland Park, "Scotch rubbish" I thought and stashed it away in the back of my drinks cabinet, somewhere out of the way behind the Oloroso & the cooking Brandy, there to fester or palm off on some unsuspecting relative.

Wind forward about 15 years and a brief spell in hospital and the sage advice of a great physician of this parish to drink a wee dram most days for medicinal purposes and I dug out the HIghland Park. Much to my amazement the 12 year old malt, now a venerable 27 years old was delicious, peaty & smokie. A love affair blossomed.

Now I find myself, never quite as impressed by subsequent bottles. I've no idea of the science of whiskey left lying for ages, but there appeared a slightly greater depth of flavour in the long preserved bottle of my first acquaintance. I've enjoyed subsequent bottles but I am keen to try similar malts to compare, just this week I acquired a bottle of Jura Superstition which I end to open after the match tonight and I have checked out the shelves locally but without much conviction for in truth I'm a whisky beginner.

So for any who know the flavour of HIghland Park and can recommend something tasty on similar lines, I'd be grateful but please, nothing fruity and mellow thank you, smokie & peaty is what is required.

I did try Laphroaig but before I opened it a rather careless friend advised that he considered it to taste of "germolene", at a stroke ruining it for me and the vast majority of the bottle is soon to be palmed off on a friend who laps up germolene and asks for more.

Your recommendations will be gratefully received - remember - smokie & peaty. >EW
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Whisky Drinkers

Post by BR »

You have been helped.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

You seem to be missing the point BR, I'm not abandoning the one true whiskey, this is merely an experiment in whisky drinking.

I'll always prefer my whiskey with an e. :thumleft:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
waggonsroll
Initiate

Post by waggonsroll »

Baggy, I am also rather partial to smokey, peaty malts. Confining myself to ones that are fairly easy to find I would suggest:

Islay Malts.

1. Caol Ila - one of the less peaty Islay Whiskies (Laphroaig) being about the peatiest. Tesco sometimes have some.

2. Bowmore - another fairly light Islay whiskey but only usually in the 8 or10 year old versions some of the older ones are much stronger. I haven't seen any around recently but it appears in all the supermarkets occasionally.
3. Kilchoman - a new small farm based distillery available from M & S.

Others:

1. Talisker (all varieties) - all supermarkets
2. Connemara peated -if you want to stick with Irish whiskey
3. Airport shops often have some good selections. A few to look out for are Arran, Longrow and Scapa.

All I would say is that whisky tastes are extremely subjective and you might like none of the above.

Sent from my Lenovo A7600-F using Tapatalk
Last edited by waggonsroll on Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
222toHounslow
Warrior Chief

Post by 222toHounslow »

Just been introduced to the charms of Jack Teeling, damn good Baggy!
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

waggonsroll wrote:Baggy, I am also rather partial to smokey, peaty malts. Confining myself to ones that are fairly easy to find I would suggest:

Islay Malts.

1. Caol Ila - one of the less peaty Islay Whiskies (Laphroaig) being about the peatiest. Tesco sometimes have some.

2. Bowmore - another fairly light Islay whiskey but only usually in the 8 or10 year old versions some of the older ones are much stronger. I haven't seen any around recently but it appears in all the supermarkets occasionally.
3. Kilchoman - anew small farm based distillery available from M & S.

Others:

1. Talisker (all varieties) - all supermarkets
2. Connemara peated -if you want to stick with Irish whiskey
3. Airport shops often have some good selections. A few to look out for are Arran, Longrow and Scala.

All I would say is that whisky tastes are extremely subjective and you might like none of the above.

Sent from my Lenovo A7600-F using Tapatalk
Thanks Waggonwheel, had a bottle in my hand on Wednesday and put it back due to uncertainty and not wanting to waste £30-£40 every time a try a new one, hence this tread. Your "buyer beware" caveat is noted. :thumleft:

Had a few hours in Schipol in August and browsed a great spirits shop, they had the full Viking series of Highland Park, I think the dearest about €1400, too rich for my pocket, but I might risk a couple of the cheaper ones. Anyone tried them - Svein, Sigurd, Einar, Harald are at stern but reasonable prices?
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

222toHounslow wrote:Just been introduced to the charms of Jack Teeling, damn good Baggy!
Have not tried It but the Teeling family used to own the Cooley Distillery and it was them who produced Connemara whiskey, they sold Cooley to Jim Beam owners who were subsequently taken over by Suntory the Japanese drinks outfit so I would reckon a peaty Teeling is probably actually almost the same as the Connemara.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Rovi Snave
Warrior

Post by Rovi Snave »

Baggy,

Would agree with waggons suggestions re. Coal Ila and Talisker - the closest I've found to a well aged Highland Park is the Talisker Distillers Edition - typically 15 plus years old - slightly smokier than Highland Park and slightly less peaty - again, as someone else said, tastes are very subjective.

Take a browse through Royal Mile Whiskies ( http://www.royalmilewhiskies.com )offerings - some very good tasting notes.

Another trick is to buy 50ml bottles online as samplers - some good sample sets of 4 or more individual whiskies available - before splashing out on a full bottle - enjoy!
Finished
colind
Squire

Post by colind »

The Vineyard on the Ormeau Road always has a great selection of whisk(e)y and ales if that's your thing. (It's mine)
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

I see the Teeling malt comes in at a nice 46 ABV. :thumleft: Is it the malt or blended you've been enjoying, 222?

Cheers Rovi, I looked at a wee box of 5cl bottles, can't remember the brand but £106 per litre price tag made me wince. Cheers for the link, will take a gleek.

As a general point I have read a few reviews. Christ, I thought I did a decent line in bullshit :lol:

I quote, from a Whisky Deathmatch semi-final contest between Highland Park 18 YO vs Ardbeg Corryvreckan:
HP: A welcoming tingle, then a savoury, leafy, herby, nutty grassiness. Light salt. ........... Some fruit in there, some spice, some sticky ginger, maybe? ............ AC: Nothing is subtle here, all is extreme, a cauldron of furious passions. First comes the heat, the peppery zing on the tongue, a baffling mix of peaty, soily, wet earth savour, liquorice disinfectant with sappy pine freshness, fearsome dryness and mind-warping strength wrapped up in raging fires and heavy smokes.
Must try a bake full of liquorice disinfectant or maybe not.

Masters of bullshite, puts Jilly Goolden back in her box. With a woosh & a zing and a woopittyboo. :duh:
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Once a Knight wrote:Firstly, I merely mentioned that "on the nose" there was the vague whiff of germolene. I did not say it tasted of germolene.

Secondly, Talisker would be my call.

Thirdly, for anyone who goes to Glasgow and likes to dine well after the match, there is a superb establishment called the Ubiquitous Chip. On their menu, they sell a sampler plate of Whisky. There you can choose 3 25ml glasses from the very well stocked list. The lists are regional. For example, highland or island. Etc. Now, my memory is that all whiskys within the regions were represented and indeed there were Whiskys where the distillery was now out of business.

Might I suggest, you organise yourself an "away day tasting"? I may be capable of being persuaded to join you. >EW
Hmmmmmmmmm, a tasting day, eh? Well we could try it out as a theory on the 29th and maybe take a day trip to Scotland if we survive it :lol: :lol: :lol:

Roll on the 29th, when I shall be using my Ould Lad's Pass on NIR. They may have to wake me up again when I reach Bengir-on-Sea. :shock:
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

Teeling, yuk like sipping pìss that was siphoned through a pair of flegs 18yr used boxers....disgusting. Jura can be nice, yellow spot or green spot my I believe the same makers of Midleton. Mrs Annan has got me a nice bottle for Xmas day, well I mean is she bloody well better.
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Once a Knight wrote: I did not say it tasted of germolene.
Aye, well it feckin does to me. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Post by Setanta »

Oban or Balvenie.
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!
HairyJ
Initiate

Post by HairyJ »

Laphroaig is very nice, in my opinion.

I typically prefer Irish whiskeys and the American Bourbons to Scotch, but a stiff Laphroaig would put hair on your chest on an evening like that.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk