David Bowie dead

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

David Bowie dead

Post by BaggyTrousers »

I hear on the wireless that I am supposed to be shocked and in mourning. I'm oddly calm.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Re: David Bowie dead

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

BaggyTrousers wrote:I hear on the wireless that I am supposed to be shocked and in mourning. I'm oddly calm.
You're odd at most things, so I suppose we shouldn't be surprised that you do "calm" that way too.

That said, Davy Jones was a massive talent and a great influence on music for a long time. I'm mildly saddened by the news but as with most celebrity deaths, my own life will continue largely unaffected. I would send my condolences to his friends and family, but I doubt that would have any affect whatsoever.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:I hear on the wireless that I am supposed to be shocked and in mourning. I'm oddly calm.
You're odd at most things, so I suppose we shouldn't be surprised that you do "calm" that way too.

That said, Davy Jones was a massive talent and a great influence on music for a long time. I'm mildly saddened by the news but as with most celebrity deaths, my own life will continue largely unaffected. I would send my condolences to his friends and family, but I doubt that would have any affect whatsoever.
Is that thon wee English cherub from The Monkees or the boy with the locker?

I suppose I should say, I'm not celebrating his death, merely pretty well completely unaffected ........oddly.

In fairness, he knocked out a few decent qunes, none of which I ever bought.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
Cap'n Grumpy wrote:

Nah - it's the other wee English cherub otherwise known as Ziggy Stardust ....... and a few other names (but I suspect you knew that).

It's (perhaps) interesting that 5 of the 10 ten most popular pages on the Beeb website just now are all about Bowie, so it's hard to deny that the public at large are interested in his death.
I'm not arguing -
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

CORRECTION: as of now, 6 of the BBC's most popular are on "music legend" David Bowie.

I look forward to a tribute programme on the tele sometime soon with a range of his music being showcased (and probably one or two bits of acting). Something tells me his latest album released just a couple of days ago will do rather well too.

Is Elvis's latest one - the remixes with the London something orchestra, still #1 in the album charts?
I'm not arguing -
HwoodMike2umate
Lord Chancellor

Post by HwoodMike2umate »

I blame Trevor Brennan.
http://www.cryptome.org/

Klaatu barada nikto

Nollaig Shona Daoibh
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Like you Baggy never bought any of his out put .

There is no doubt he was in tune with his time but I never got that screwed up to understand the hype .

Like the Beatles preLSD the musical taste was inspire by Buddy Holly rather than by drug induced fictious visions .

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

One of my all time favourites and probably the man who most influenced my eclectic musical tastes. I was surprised by his death as I hadn't heard he was ill. You are all right to point out that his passing is unlikely to affect the daily lives of anyone outside his family. But undoubtedly his life has enriched most of ours either directly as fans of his music or indirectly through the many, many other artists he inspired and influenced.
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

I grew up listening to Bowie, thanks to my older sister. Absolutely loved the music. Think I'll listen to a few CD's over the next few days as my own private tribute to the man. May even trot out my Live Aid DVD tonight.

I'm not really one for mourning the passing of celebs and of course his passing doesn't impact me directly as others have said but I'd still mark it all the same.....in my own little way.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

pwrmoore wrote:One of my all time favourites and probably the man who most influenced my eclectic musical tastes. I was surprised by his death as I hadn't heard he was ill. You are all right to point out that his passing is unlikely to affect the daily lives of anyone outside his family. But undoubtedly his life has enriched most of ours either directly as fans of his music or indirectly through the many, many other artists he inspired and influenced.
Actually PWR, as the day has gone on and I've heard his music & tributes everywhere, I've realised just how much of his music I have liked without actually being anything you could describe as a fan. Likewise I saw a couple of the films he was in without it making any great impact.

He seems to have kept his own council on his health, fair play to him, his choice. >appl
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Shan wrote:I'm not really one for mourning the passing of celebs and of course his passing doesn't impact me directly as others have said but I'd still mark it all the same.....in my own little way.
Fair play Sean. Was talking to my son earlier watching the news and every Thomas Richard & Harold wanting to personalise their public grief.

I'm not sure if it's Paul's original, but when I mentioned this mania for public grief since " Good Time Girl" Diana died, Paul said, "yeah, the dramatic wailing of cants, hate it". Apposite I thought. >EW
shamalicious
Lord Chancellor

Post by shamalicious »

This admittedly brought a lump to my throat. How brilliant. https://twitter.com/SmokeandSaltLDN/sta ... 11008?s=09
Nevin Spence 26 April 1990 – 15 September 2012 gone but never forgotten
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

David Bowie was as mad as a bag of cats, but he wrote some classic tracks. Fantastic show man.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

BaggyTrousers wrote: Fair play Sean. Was talking to my son earlier watching the news and every Thomas Richard & Harold wanting to personalise their public grief.

I'm not sure if it's Paul's original, but when I mentioned this mania for public grief since " Good Time Girl" Diana died, Paul said, "yeah, the dramatic wailing of cants, hate it". Apposite I thought. >EW
Ah. That is nice. Not only do you address me by my third name but do so in Irish, although it is officially in English. :D

Apart from that I agree. Feck but I hate these public outpourings. I don't mind so much when it is teenagers as they are liable to be a little f-cked up emotionally but adults engaging in this nonsense is quite sad really.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:
Cap'n Grumpy wrote:

Nah - it's the other wee English cherub otherwise known as Ziggy Stardust ....... and a few other names (but I suspect you knew that).
Although, for the avoidance of any doubt, the English cherub is also tattie. Statistics suggest that being a pop star called David Jones is a life limiting condition.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall