Big Merv's nature watch.

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

Bobbievee
Warrior

Re: Big Merv's nature watch.

Post by Bobbievee »

Different tack
In our co down garden this week 3 yellowhammers ( first sightings for many years) and a reed bunting( first sightings in 20 years for me).
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Bobbievee wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:59 pm Different tack
In our co down garden this week 3 yellowhammers ( first sightings for many years) and a reed bunting( first sightings in 20 years for me).
Excellent :D

Tell me where, tell me where?

I last saw a reed bunting in Fermanagh , not surprisingly. I can't think if I have ever seen a yellow hammer though.

I spotted what I thought was a Wood Warbler last week. It hung around my garden and the wee wood beside it for just one day, AFAIK. Tough call on identification between it and a willow warbler, but very definite green to its uppers and a very bright yellow flash above its eye convinced me (well, 99% anyway) that it was a wood warbler.

There have been sightings in the past in south Antrim and these wee beauts would only be arriving since the start of April, so I'm wondering if it was just passing through on its way north, as i haven't seen it since.

Have sent photos to BTO asking for an opinion (ie a definitive identification), but all I got in return was that a wood warbler would be an unexpected sighting in Norn Iron. Disappointing, given I'm a member of BTO and take part in their year round garden watch.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

I also saw a pair of linnets which at first I mistook for Lesser redpolls which are often seen around here. However when i saw them in the company of the redpolls, they were noticeably bigger and lacked the red poll (ie the top of the head), just had the red breast.
I'm not arguing -
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:27 am I spotted what I thought was a Wood Warbler last week. It hung around my garden and the wee wood beside it for just one day, AFAIK. Tough call on identification between it and a willow warbler, but very definite green to its uppers and a very bright yellow flash above its eye convinced me (well, 99% anyway) that it was a wood warbler.

There have been sightings in the past in south Antrim and these wee beauts would only be arriving since the start of April, so I'm wondering if it was just passing through on its way north, as i haven't seen it since.

Have sent photos to BTO asking for an opinion (ie a definitive identification), but all I got in return was that a wood warbler would be an unexpected sighting in Norn Iron. Disappointing, given I'm a member of BTO and take part in their year round garden watch.
Any Warbler experts out there who could tell me what this is?
Attachments
CSC_3951 s.JPG
CSC_3951 s.JPG (166.58 KiB) Viewed 809 times
I'm not arguing -
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

Excellent :D

Both sightings ie of the yellowhammer(s) and the reed bunting, in a garden in a rural location about a mile from Castle Espie WWT centre
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Had a reply last night from BTO and they "think" it is a willow warbler. Their expert has "done some reading to make sure I'm sure on my ID!" Not quite the 100% unequivocal confirmation one way or the other that I was hoping for. :?

Their reasoning to come to this conclusion was "Wood Warbler are much more yellow, particularly on the throat, cheeks and chest, not just the flanks. The difference between the yellow front and white underside should be more distinct. The back should also have more of a greenish tone."

My own reading and looking at pictures on interweb had given me the same info, but comparisons of my photos with those that were allegedly Willow or wood warblers, suggested my birdie was a wood warbler.

However I bow to his superior experience, and knowledge, but claim parity on reading ability, and am happy but disappointed to accept that what I saw was a Willow Warbler, which is still a nice observation.

Or I might photoshop it to make it more like he suggested for a wood warbler, and stick to my original claim. :lol:
I'm not arguing -
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Bobbievee wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:17 pm Excellent :D

Not that it matters now that it's transmutated into a willow warbler, but it was in my garden in BT16 on edge of Dundonald. Photos was of it on a piece of common ground outside my garden on edge of a wee wood that is beside my garden.
I'm not arguing -
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Just spotted at least a couple of reed buntings in my own garden - one mature male and at least one immature female.

Only managed to photograph them when they hopped over the fence though.

I last saw one of these a few years ago in Fermanagh, in surprise, surprise, a bed of reeds.
Attachments
DSC_5826s.JPG
DSC_5826s.JPG (201.51 KiB) Viewed 714 times
DSC_5820s.JPG
DSC_5820s.JPG (141.56 KiB) Viewed 714 times
DSC_5805s.JPG
DSC_5805s.JPG (178.14 KiB) Viewed 714 times
DSC_5800s.JPG
DSC_5800s.JPG (160.71 KiB) Viewed 714 times
I'm not arguing -
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Got a pair of robins literally eating out of my hand. I've mostly been feeding them hydrated mealworms and suet. The take it in turns to come. They usually eat one and then take 2 back to the nest which seems fair!
robin.jpg
robin.jpg (101.53 KiB) Viewed 712 times
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

great stuff merv.

I had pigeons eating out of my hand at my old place, but then they started mobbing the missus and she didn't like that. Of course most people can manage to get pigeons to do that.

I have a pair of robins, one of which will come to my feet for me to drop meal worms or suet which he then carries to the nest. A month ago both would have come, but only the male came particularly close.

I'm assuming it's the male, as it's the one still around, while I assume it's the female that's now on the nest.
I'm not arguing -
mid ulster maestro
Warrior Chief

Post by mid ulster maestro »

I see Merv has reached Bird Whisperer status.
When the bottom has fallen out of your world.
Take Enos and let the world fall out of your bottom!
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Merv feeding with his hands is grand but Grumpy feeding them with his feet is just gross.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

'Ospreys: Llyn Brenig nest platform rebuilt after chainsaw attack'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-56969855
Saw this and thought it was some sort of seriously Welsh rugby story. Actually it's about an absolutely disgraceful act of vandalism.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

A common enough sight for Bangor (so Google tells me) but I spotted my first pair of black guillemots there yesterday.
tigerburnie
Warrior

Post by tigerburnie »

Yellowhammer singing "a little bit of bread and no cheese"
BM1K2743.jpg
BM1K2743.jpg (98.83 KiB) Viewed 484 times