Biblical matters

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Biblical matters

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Russ wrote:This one Baggy?
Aye, not to worry, I've just cleaned my glasses. :thumleft:

Bless you my son. >inquisitor
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

BaggyTrousers wrote: Can anybody help? What's a man to do?
Whippings and stonings from earthlings are only chicken feed Baggy. The ever loving God has an eternity of pain and suffering planned for yourself and your wife. Repent now and reach out to Jesus who will intervene to save you from this hell. I think he is an Ulsterman so you should have little difficulty tracking him down.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Shan wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote: Can anybody help? What's a man to do?
Whippings and stonings from earthlings are only chicken feed Baggy. The ever loving God has an eternity of pain and suffering planned for yourself and your wife. Repent now and reach out to Jesus who will intervene to save you from this hell. I think he is an Ulsterman so you should have little difficulty tracking him down.
I'll tell you what Shan, I may be a bit of a gobshite from time to time but Mrs Trousers is a saintly woman just lacking a belief system. If God wants to punish her for being an outstandingly good person he must be a worse gobshite than me. :duh:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
namron
Warrior Chief

Post by namron »

Aye there's the rub...A lot of people believe to avoid everlasting suffering. Most religions have a double lock choke hold of guilt and consequence which is highly unsavoury, especially when meted out to the young and impressionable.My Wife and I were discussing this subject tonight with regard to our two children and sending them to school where they will no doubt encounter some form of RE / brainwashing. I am gearing myself self up for some frank conversations with the head of school in September and hope for his sake I can keep my cool .
We dont need the English to win the European Cup
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

namron wrote:Aye there's the rub...A lot of people believe to avoid everlasting suffering. Most religions have a double lock choke hold of guilt and consequence which is highly unsavoury, especially when meted out to the young and impressionable.My Wife and I were discussing this subject tonight with regard to our two children and sending them to school where they will no doubt encounter some form of RE / brainwashing. I am gearing myself self up for some frank conversations with the head of school in September and hope for his sake I can keep my cool .
We had that conversation when my daughter decided to opt out of RE in the 6th form. (She would have done it much earlier but thought she might as well get the GCSE) Had the feckin chaplain on the phone ffs. They backed down in the end :thumleft:
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
namron
Warrior Chief

Post by namron »

big mervyn wrote:
namron wrote:Aye there's the rub...A lot of people believe to avoid everlasting suffering. Most religions have a double lock choke hold of guilt and consequence which is highly unsavoury, especially when meted out to the young and impressionable.My Wife and I were discussing this subject tonight with regard to our two children and sending them to school where they will no doubt encounter some form of RE / brainwashing. I am gearing myself self up for some frank conversations with the head of school in September and hope for his sake I can keep my cool .
We had that conversation when my daughter decided to opt out of RE in the 6th form. (She would have done it much earlier but thought she might as well get the GCSE) Had the feckin chaplain on the phone ffs. They backed down in the end :thumleft:
In most of the RE I remember at school there was a 'We are right and all the others are wrong' attitude. World religions we not studied. I remember going to a BaHAi meeting which is supposed to be all encompassing but when the speaker decried the Hindus for worshipping "Monkey ,Donkey Elephant Gods" I made a swift rebuttal followed by a rather blaise exit >seeya .
I do regard the French school system to be superior to ours in the teaching of religion in that they dont.
We dont need the English to win the European Cup
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

Same as the US, religious education isn't permitted in state schools.

However the US has one of the highest rates of church attendance in the western world so clearly you don't need schools to be indoctrinated into a particular belief.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

mikerob wrote:Same as the US, religious education isn't permitted in state schools.

However the US has one of the highest rates of church attendance in the western world so clearly you don't need schools to be indoctrinated into a particular belief.
Even if they do not actually teach it, the God Mafia have an insidious influence on schools in the area of teaching appointments. OK it's a long time ago but I recall my sister going to an interview, Comber I believe but could be wrong only to be told by a girl she had been to college with, that the other lassie had already been promised the job by her minister.

As I say, it's a long time back but damn few things change significantly in this vile wee statelet.

Anyway given that my "insidious" thread will fade into oblivion, I am reposting this nugget here for some kindly mentalist to explain away:
whitejesus.jpg
whitejesus.jpg (77.93 KiB) Viewed 1561 times
Why are we repeatedly lied to with "madeupshit".
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
I'll tell you what Shan, I may be a bit of a gobshite from time to time but Mrs Trousers is a saintly woman just lacking a belief system. If God wants to punish her for being an outstandingly good person he must be a worse gobshite than me. :duh:
That really only matters if one believes in an entity with the capability to punish somebody in an afterlife........or perhaps if one believes such a supreme entity would also punish somebody during their earthly life.

If one doesn't believe in such an entity then it doesn't really matter.

But I think your issue is with humans who believe in a vengeful supreme being and are happy and willing to act on its behalf to mete out the justice they deem in alignment with its alleged position. It is just another one of many human failings. I'd be loathe to allow humans to escape the blame for their own shortcomings. Humans are responsible for their own actions, whether they submit to a deity or not.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
Anyway given that my "insidious" thread will fade into oblivion, I am reposting this nugget here for some kindly mentalist to explain away:
whitejesus.jpg
Why are we repeatedly lied to with "madeupshit".

I wouldn't go so far as to say made up. If they didn't know what he would have looked like once paintings were first produced in Europe they would just have used their own likeness. Ultimately that would have suited the church of course who wanted to grow in numbers and would need a leader who folk could identify with.

It is inaccurate but initially wouldn't have been deliberately misleading I think. Now it is just expedient to go with what is in place for centuries.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

For those who find the virgin birth unbelievable the alternative view would be if you believe in God the Creator then getting Mary pregnant would be "wee buns "

And for some woman getting pregnant is "Wee buns "

Baggy the drink reference was tongue in cheek like you the my modern consumption is modest in comparison to my youth a bottle of wine at the weekend and may a social night or two per month max in take 5 -
7 glasses over a 4-5 hour period as against 5-6 bottles of beer per hour in my youth .

At an age where drink disturbs a good nights sleep in more ways than one .
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
jonnybags
Novice

Post by jonnybags »

Bible is fictional pal.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Briiliantly entertaining mad woman on Crawley arguing for Brexit from (her) Christian Conservative Biblical perspective. Reminded me of Paisley in his pomp qouting Revelations, beasts with 7 heads and 12 horns (or was it t'other way around :scratch: ) and relating it all to the EEC and papish antichrists. Great stuff :lol:

Some thoroughly reasonable sounding chap from the Church of Scotland was putting the other point of view.

Where else would you get it? (apart from the Dumbfuckistan states in America obviously).
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

big mervyn wrote:Briiliantly entertaining mad woman on Crawley arguing for Brexit from (her) Christian Conservative Biblical perspective. Reminded me of Paisley in his pomp qouting Revelations, beasts with 7 heads and 12 horns (or was it t'other way around :scratch: ) and relating it all to the EEC and papish antichrists. Great stuff Image

Some thoroughly reasonable sounding chap from the Church of Scotland was putting the other point of view.

Where else would you get it? (apart from the Dumbfuckistan states in America obviously).
If you are a Christian you already believe some crazy brad pitt. It's easy then to use it to believe some other deluded nonsense.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Cracker
Squire

Post by Cracker »

Excuse me for asking but what has all this to do with rugby?