Referendum

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

In r Oot?

Poll ended at Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:50 pm

Let's get out of this farce
25%
Let's stick with it, it's not perfect, but....
75%

Total votes: 36

damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Re: Referendum

Post by damianmcr »

But but but think of the £350,000,000 we are saving per week....
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Jackie Brown wrote:Looking forward to their answers over these particular questions.

Northern Ireland

The government has already confirmed that the Common Travel Area between the Irish Republic and Northern Ireland, which predates both countries’ membership of the EU, will be maintained post- Brexit, but taking that as read, please answer the following questions:

48. Will the government guarantee that there will be no re-introduction of customs checks on the Irish border, similar to those that existed before the Maastricht Treaty in 1993?

49. How will the government enforce its proposed new system for managing migration from the EU if EU migrants can travel to the Irish Republic as they do at present, and then travel on into the United Kingdom via the Irish land border?

50. Will the government confirm whether – and how – the position on these matters would change if the Irish Republic was to become a member of the Schengen agreement, making travel between the rest of the European Union and Ireland much easier?

51. What specific assessment has the government made of the impact on the Northern Irish economy of its proposed future arrangements for trade with, and migration, from the European Union post-Brexit, and for its continued ability to attract foreign direct investment?

52. Will the government guarantee that any shortfalls in funding for Northern Ireland beyond 2020 arising from the loss of (i) Structural Funds; (ii) Common Agricultural Policy payments and programmes; and (iii) the PEACE programme will be made up in full from central government revenues, given the region’s heavy dependence on that funding for future peace, development and prosperity?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
One that has not been even mentioned and is even harder to sort out than the immigration as that can be done on entry to the ROI is how do they police the movement of goods which invariably will have different tariffs.
For people the border will be the ports and airports on the island as a whole but internal movement of goods will turn into a logistical nightmare to even start to police and will necessitate border controls.
Migrants won't be an issue as who will actually want to move to a third world country which is broke.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

damianmcr wrote:But but but think of the £350,000,000 we are saving per week....
If that figure had been correct that would have equated roughly to euro 475,000,000 which if converted now would cost £430,000,000 so we are saving even more now !
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Im most interested to know how they get around the Good Friday Agreement
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Russ wrote:Im most interested to know how they get around the Good Friday Agreement
Would think that is wee buns compared to cross border trade enforcement
Rory Best
Gary
Chancellor to the King
Location: Carrickfergus and Odessa. (Not at the same time. That would be silly.)

Post by Gary »

The Good Friday Agreement is just about the biggest constitutional hurdle to Brexit. I honestly wonder have the Brexiteers actually thought about this yet. It seems the Government is determined, if necessary, to use what is laughingly called "The Royal Prerogative" to destroy any democracy we have left. However, I have been led to believe that the GFA, presumably because it is an international treaty with outside guarantors, is not subject to the Royal Prerogative. It seems it can only be ditched with the support of the Assembly (cross-community), UK, Ireland and the USA, although the US would certainly not overrule the decision of the other parties. I think the fun hasn't started yet.
Soldiers who wanna be heroes number practically zero, but there are millions who wanna be civilians
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Gary wrote:The Good Friday Agreement is just about the biggest constitutional hurdle to Brexit. I honestly wonder have the Brexiteers actually thought about this yet. It seems the Government is determined, if necessary, to use what is laughingly called "The Royal Prerogative" to destroy any democracy we have left. However, I have been led to believe that the GFA, presumably because it is an international treaty with outside guarantors, is not subject to the Royal Prerogative. It seems it can only be ditched with the support of the Assembly (cross-community), UK, Ireland and the USA, although the US would certainly not overrule the decision of the other parties. I think the fun hasn't started yet.
The US will not allow it
The Irish Republic will have to have a referendum as it will cause a constitutional change
Stormont will not allow it
Your move Theresa
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Scotland are to formally petition the UK Parliament for IndyRef2

Go on you girl Nicola you
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Rooster wrote:
damianmcr wrote:But but but think of the £350,000,000 we are saving per week....
If that figure had been correct that would have equated roughly to euro 475,000,000 which if converted now would cost £430,000,000 so we are saving even more now !
Hired a car 3 weeks ago. Paid for petrol on collection but left it back with a full tank so made a profit on the refund :lol:
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

A military coup would add to the fun of it all, Betty could summon the troops and oust May and then the royal prerogative would be back in her hands, it could happen you know and was talked about when El Tony started talking about getting rid of royalty and changing to a republic.
Rory Best
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

It's potentially Puckoon II
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

big mervyn wrote:It's potentially Puckoon II
Counted it up and going to Galway I cross the border 9 times plus drive along it for 300m so if I passed someone on that section that could be 2 more crossings !
Rory Best
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Snipe is bemoaning the lack of facts so in a spirit of helpfulness, here is an incontrovertible fact.

BRexit has not yet happened.

Here is an opinion:

BRexit has not yet happened and it is a total feck up.

And now for a second fact:

I'd love to shoot David Davies in his rather smug looking face.

Sadly I have never owned a firearm, nor attempted to acquire one by fair means or foul. I did however fire an air rifle loaded with a tiny feathered dart at the age of 10 at a gypo carnival, hitting the ace of spades on the spade and winning a goldfish. (Ah the old days, when live animals could be given as prizes and you could get bored of them and throw them away into the nearest stream thinking you were doing them a favour. :roll: )

A second opinion:

That David Davies is a smug ballix.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

big mervyn wrote:It's potentially Puckoon II

For them as don't no ......... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9u4TtOE9qk
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.