And today, joining the underground .....

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Re: And today, joining the underground .....

Post by big mervyn »

Snipe Watson wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:14 pm
big mervyn wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:46 pm
solidarity wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:44 pm I've seen a couple of comparisons with Ringo Starr. I think most people considered Watts to be the better drummer but I suppose compaisons are not really of much value.
I think Charlie was pretty good. He was a jazz drummer like Ginger Baker. They say Keith was the real drummer in the Stones as the whole band including Charlie followed his rhythms.
Neither of them were in Ginger's league. Both rock steady drummers, but Baker was an innovator. Mind you Ginger's ego was even bigger than even his talent.
Only equalled by Jack Bruce's. You have to feel a bit sorry for poor old Eric stuck in the middle.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Ted's dead baby ...Ted's dead

Probably the last true "gentleman cricketer"
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

justinr73 wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:48 pm
BR wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:05 pm I never liked him, and it is only now that I realise I may have been mixing him up with someone else - Tony Hawkes.

I feel like I should apologise to Lock's family.

Still not convinced he would be in list of top funny-men, but I perhaps should have given a fair crack of the whip.
If you haven’t seen Hawks in his self-penned whimsical musical ‘Midlife Cowboy, set in the Swindon Country and Western Club, you haven’t lived.
Apparently I haven't lived ...

... but I don't feel I have missed out on anything by not seeing that.

Hawks was (is) alright - often quite funny, but not in the league of the real greats of comedy.

Sean Lock was a genuinely funny guy. :salut:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
mid ulster maestro
Warrior Chief

Post by mid ulster maestro »

Tony Hawkes won a wager when he was challenged to hitch hike around Ireland carrying a fridge. The book of this caper, 'Round Ireland With A Fridge' is an amusing read. I also believe that he won another wager when he was challenged to write a number one hit record. I think the song made the top of the charts in Romania or Bulgaria or somewhere else in the eastern bloc. Seems to have been an interesting character but probably know mostly for his many bit parts on tv shows.
When the bottom has fallen out of your world.
Take Enos and let the world fall out of your bottom!
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

There’s another book about him playing the Moldovan football team at tennis (TH being nationally ranked in his youth).

Anyway, it would be premature to pass judgement on his contribution to popular culture, on this thread certainly!
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

mid ulster maestro wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:50 am Tony Hawkes won a wager when he was challenged to hitch hike around Ireland carrying a fridge. The book of this caper, 'Round Ireland With A Fridge' is an amusing read. I also believe that he won another wager when he was challenged to write a number one hit record. I think the song made the top of the charts in Romania or Bulgaria or somewhere else in the eastern bloc. Seems to have been an interesting character but probably know mostly for his many bit parts on tv shows.
I think it was Albania? He also did something tennis related (he's a pretty decent player).

I would put him in the same bracket as Dave Gorman - offbeat clever stuff that amuses rather than makes you laugh out loud, A bit off topic as neither is tatey ...
Big Neville Southall
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Snap Justin!

Back to the underworld - Lee Scratch Perry.

Hugely influential musician/producer whoi many credit as originating the classic reggae beat.
Big Neville Southall
for dog and ulcer
Lord Chancellor

Post by for dog and ulcer »

Saw Lee Scratch Perry at QUB. Very energetic and fit for his age. Very entertaining too. Had a wonderful band with him. I have often wondered if it was Shakespeare and Dunbar?
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

But then Ulcer, anybody would look energetic and fit to you?!!😂😂😇
Regards, Bobbi
for dog and ulcer
Lord Chancellor

Post by for dog and ulcer »

>threaten
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

I doubt that any of us are great Girls Aloud fans but so sad to see a young woman like Sarah Harding taken in the prime of life.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

I endeavour to experience much of what life has to offer.

I went to see Girls Aloud accordingly and quite enjoyed it.

Saw Sarah in a pub once. Poor thing. RIP.

We’re all hanging on by a thread really, aren’t we?
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

Jimmy Greaves. Top Man

only downside on his international scoring record ( 44 in 57 matches I think?) was that at least 10 of them ( 3,3 and 4) were against Northern Ireland ( 1960, 63, and 64) , another handful against Luxembourg and Norway, and a bundle against Scotland.

And pre 66 world cup, he was still recovering from illness the previous Autumn, which had slowed him up. So maybe Alf Ramsey was right not to include him in the playing 11s.

But at club level, a master in front of goal and in one on ones. and by all accounts a very gracious and humble man. Succumbed to the demon liquor, when the expectation at the clubs in the days ( esp West Ham in his early days) was that " to be one of the boys" you had to drink copious amounts. But recognised his failings, and became a " recovering alcoholic" .
He brought joy to many
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Bobbievee wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:05 am Jimmy Greaves. Top Man

only downside on his international scoring record ( 44 in 57 matches I think?) was that at least 10 of them ( 3,3 and 4) were against Northern Ireland ( 1960, 63, and 64) , another handful against Luxembourg and Norway, and a bundle against Scotland.

And pre 66 world cup, he was still recovering from illness the previous Autumn, which had slowed him up. So maybe Alf Ramsey was right not to include him in the playing 11s.

But at club level, a master in front of goal and in one on ones. and by all accounts a very gracious and humble man. Succumbed to the demon liquor, when the expectation at the clubs in the days ( esp West Ham in his early days) was that " to be one of the boys" you had to drink copious amounts. But recognised his failings, and became a " recovering alcoholic" .
He brought joy to many
A tad 'arsh on the Jocks there Bobbie. Scotland with Jim Baxter had a great side in the 60s and actually won more than they lost agin Engerland.
Big Neville Southall
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

big mervyn wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:19 pm
Bobbievee wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:05 am Jimmy Greaves. Top Man

He brought joy to many
A tad 'arsh on the Jocks there Bobbie. Scotland with Jim Baxter had a great side in the 60s and actually won more than they lost agin Engerland.
Merv
no argument there. I was thinking of Greavsies three against Scotland in 1961; 9-3!!
I think that makes it approximately 20 of his 44 against those 4 teams!