And today, joining the underground .....

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Re: And today, joining the underground .....

Post by big mervyn »

waggonsroll wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:32 pm
Dave wrote:I suppose they were related.
3rd cousins whatever that means.

Sent from my 5001D_EEA using Tapatalk
They shared a great-great- grandparent, in this case, Queen Victoria like most of European monarchy.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Dave wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:57 pmPaul Ritter RIP
Love Friday Night Dinners. He was great in it. RIP
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

solidarity wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:13 pm
Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:36 pm If Benedict XVI has disagreed with anything Francis I at any stage in the last 7-8 years, does that mean Hans Kung was right and either or both Popes were wrong?

Double barrelled proof there then apparently . . . but I might be wrong. I'm not infallible.

and yes, i know that "Papal infallibility" refers only to matters of doctrine, not less mundane things that any two people may disagree over.
Kung denied papal infallibility ant that got him 'silenced' for his pains by having his teaching recognition removed.. Everybody knows he was right about that. He and Benedict were mates in their early days but went in opposite directions.
Yes ... and wrong about practically everything else. A fine mind put to use for the best part of a century pondering the finer points of a fairy story. Well done mate >appl
Big Neville Southall
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

big mervyn wrote:
Dave wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:57 pmPaul Ritter RIP
Love Friday Night Dinners. He was great in it. RIP
Yes, great show. He was great in Chernobyl also.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Tell me this and tell me no more. Why the absolute f*ck has the BBC got exactly the same output on BBC1 and BBC2 i.e wall to wall coverage on Phil the Greek with extra helpings of that arch sycophant Nicholas "the Scab" Witchell? Wtf am I paying for here. Think I'll write to Barry Took.
Big Neville Southall
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

big mervyn wrote:Tell me this and tell me no more. Why the absolute f*ck has the BBC got exactly the same output on BBC1 and BBC2 i.e wall to wall coverage on Phil the Greek with extra helpings of that arch sycophant Nicholas "the Scab" Witchell? Wtf am I paying for here. Think I'll write to Barry Took.
Even the Lizards don't like him.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Gawd help us when the Queen shuffles off. There'll be no mainstream telly for a week.
Big Neville Southall
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

solidarity wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:13 pm
Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:36 pm If Benedict XVI has disagreed with anything Francis I at any stage in the last 7-8 years, does that mean Hans Kung was right and either or both Popes were wrong?

Double barrelled proof there then apparently . . . but I might be wrong. I'm not infallible.

and yes, i know that "Papal infallibility" refers only to matters of doctrine, not less mundane things that any two people may disagree over.
Kung denied papal infallibility ant that got him 'silenced' for his pains by having his teaching recognition removed.. Everybody knows he was right about that. He and Benedict were mates in their early days but went in opposite directions.
Feckin Jesuits have it all tied up!
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

big mervyn wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:33 pm Tell me this and tell me no more. Why the absolute f*ck has the BBC got exactly the same output on BBC1 and BBC2 i.e wall to wall coverage on Phil the Greek with extra helpings of that arch sycophant Nicholas "the Scab" Witchell? Wtf am I paying for here. Think I'll write to Barry Took.
Also this afternoon, on Radio 1, R2, R4 (I assume R3 but didn't check that one), R Ulster, R5, R5L - all identical output.

I'll not be quite so cynical as some - Prince Philip was a massive part of British establishment and his death and life will be unpicked in minute detail now, but really? Simultaneously on all BBC output? Can British republicans (small r) not have a channel they could tune in to without quite so much mention?

My closest encounter with Phil the Greek was when I was in Scotland with my family in mid 90s and noticed that HM and consort were coming to the town we happened to be staying in the following day. Of course the first thing to note was that it was pre-announced - weeks in advance even - something that never happened of course for royal visits to Norn Iron.

The second thing that I didn't quite take in was that the visit would not see the level of security that a royal visit to Norn Iron necessitated. Having not considered that, I immediately suggested to Mrs Cap'n Grumpy that we arise early the following morning, and get the hell miles away before the town was shut down by the polis etc and we got nowhere for the day.

Of course Mrs Cap'n Grumpy and the privates Grumpy disagreed and I was outvoted by my wife and two young children who wanted to hang around and hopefully see a real life queen and a prince. :roll:

The following morning we took our place in the main street and waited for the royal arrivals, and by chance when they arrived, their car stopped literally right in front of us and the royals got out of the car, no more than 1-2m away from us. If I had reached out, I could easily have touched HM, - quite different from what might have been expected in Norn Iron.

My overarching memory of the day though was my daughter aged 8 who hadn't recognised them asking "where's the Queen?" and when I told her that was her just in front of her, she asked rather disappointingly, "why isn't she wearing her crown?" Before we could answer, our son (aged 5) asked, "Who's the old man in the raincoat?", which naturally I immediately answered with, "that's Phil the Greek", and my wife rather more informingly, "That's Prince Philip, the Queen's husband."

In those couple of minutes, my children who were expecting to see something out of a fairy story or at least some of the glamorous images often portrayed on telly, were quite disappointed and we quickly left and went to Burger King where they got crowns of their own and were much more satisfied. :lol:

That's it, when hearing today of the Duke's death, sad though it is, my first though was of a small bay asking, "Who's the old man in the raincoat?" :shock:

Must admit, I'm not a republican (small r) and recognise some of what the Royal family bring to Britain - good and bad, but tbh, what they get up to has little if any meaning or affect on me. Were I to meet any of the royals in a formal setting, I would gladly show deference to their "position" out of politeness, albeit not necessarily respect for the individual.

My condolences go to his immediate family - as they would to any family that is mourning a loved one, but they have no more relevance to me than any other "celebrity" of our times.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

big mervyn wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:33 pm Tell me this and tell me no more. Why the absolute f*ck has the BBC got exactly the same output on BBC1 and BBC2 i.e wall to wall coverage on Phil the Greek with extra helpings of that arch sycophant Nicholas "the Scab" Witchell? Wtf am I paying for here. Think I'll write to Barry Took.
These protocols cannot realy be modernised until they have been actioned and found to be outdated.

Of course, if HM or PoW goes next, as you would expect, then the gravity would expect an even more formal response. For HM, i would say even the Amlin matches would be postponed.

I guess iit's the price we pay for not investing too much patriotic emotion in a parliament building or a piece of cloth like our colonial cousins.
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

He is a testament to how asylum seekers can contribute at the highest levels of society. Would brexit Britain have let him in? He cut a SH1T ton of ribbons in his career but appeared not to have liked any fanfare. The sycophantic reaction is actually trolling the man's true character.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Dave wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:37 am He is a testament to how asylum seekers can contribute at the highest levels of society. Would brexit Britain have let him in? He cut a SH1T ton of ribbons in his career but appeared not to have liked any fanfare. The sycophantic reaction is actually trolling the man's true character.
Very true . . . you sycophant, you! :lol:

Although as he once said when asked about his legacy (I think it was, and i suspect the same would apply to public reaction to his death), he replied, "I don't care about my legacy - I'll be dead" (or words to that effect).
I'm not arguing -
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:02 am
Must admit, I'm not a republican (small r)
I am.

I always struggle to understand why the nasty catholics here are "Republicans" while the nice Catholics choose the altogether more disreputable sobriquet of "Nationalist". (I do realise it is from Republican Army but it's ass about face when you think of it).

Regarding Philippos Andreou of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderberg-Glücksburg, the Awards scheme was a decent project and I do think a lot of his remarks have been taken somewhat out of context, but for the life of me I cannot get my head around why so many people are prepared to defer to a succession of inbred, intellectually limited social misfits :scratch:

Btw. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't remember this level of coverage for the Queen Mum - another long serving consort AND a Queen AND actually British AND she comfortably did the ton. The Beeb has lost the run of itself and imo has set the bar a tad high for when the Queen does decide to join the choir invisible.
Big Neville Southall
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

big mervyn wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:53 pm
waggonsroll wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:32 pm
Dave wrote:I suppose they were related.
3rd cousins whatever that means.

Sent from my 5001D_EEA using Tapatalk
They shared a great-great- grandparent, in this case, Queen Victoria like most of European monarchy.
Also 6th cousins once removed, i believe (via Geo II)
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

big mervyn wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:53 am
Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:02 am
Must admit, I'm not a republican (small r)
I am.
I know - I was distancing myself from you. :lol:

TBF, one good thing did come out of the radio coverage today - Vanessa Feltz was chopped off in mid sentence when they cut in with the news flash. Just a pity they couldn't have kept it to one or even two channels, including the Jeremy Vine Show that she was covering, instead of the blanket coverage. :roll:

Although to be honest, I was literally walking across the room to cut her off myself before the Beeb did that for me. :thumleft:
I'm not arguing -