And today, joining the underground .....

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Re: And today, joining the underground .....

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Dave wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:55 pm
Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
Dave wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:14 pm Slavery was grand too. Different era.
Slavery was not grand - nor was shooting animals for fun. I have no hesitation in stating that straight up. What I do find hard to do is condemn people for conforming to the attitudes and norms of society for the period in which they lived.

Slavery existed since the beginning of human times - it was not started by a few Europeans sending Africans to Europe and the Americas. Actually, the ones most guilty of that were other Africans selling slaves to the Europeans for transportation, but we're getting off topic here.

As I say, slavery has existed for millennia, but it took until a few hundred years ago for most to change their minds on the morality of that.It took years of re-educating to get to where we are now. Of course some took longer to get there than others - that was often because they stood to lose money by its abolition. Indeed there are still some cultures that don't see too much wrong with slavery.

None of that makes slavery right, but we have the benefit of hindsight and modern ethics to come to that decision. Others in centuries past did not have that and merely conformed to the accepted norm of the time. Does that make it right? No, of course not, but should we condemn them for conforming to accepted practices? I don't think so.
So we can't condemn the slave traders? OK. That's your opinion. You're very entitled to it.

Happy birthday ImageImageImage
Not quite what I said, but nice try. :lol:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

If this is how the beeb covers a lowly sort of royal, just imagine how it will be when Trevor Brennan joins the underground.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Jackie Brown wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:54 pm
Snipe Watson wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:34 pm
Wise up Dave, why not throw in the Holocaust for good measure. Hardly comparing apples with apples.
I don't think the Holocaust was ever grand.
The very worst aspects of the holocaust were not common knowledge.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

BR wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:00 am
Wise up Dave, why not throw in the Holocaust for good measure. Hardly comparing apples with apples.
Aye it's easy to look back on it through rose tinted lenses.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

big mervyn wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:40 am
BR wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:00 am
Aye it's easy to look back on it through rose tinted lenses.
A good time was had by all.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Long before the Africans the Vikings were the leading slavers of western Europe and one of the biggest markets was Dublin

But back to Topic me I prefer to live with what I consider" A Benign Monarchy " where the forces of Law and Order are supposedly accountable to the Crown rather than the Leader of the Government of the Day who could be the biggest and worstest despot money can impose on you.

Philip was what maybe considered a wise man with a foolish mouth just waiting for the disrespectful to exploit

Its a shame he never got a telegram from his wife
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

rumncoke wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:34 pm Long before the Africans the Vikings were the leading slavers of western Europe and one of the biggest markets was Dublin

But back to Topic me I prefer to live with what I consider" A Benign Monarchy " where the forces of Law and Order are supposedly accountable to the Crown rather than the Leader of the Government of the Day who could be the biggest and worstest despot money can impose on you.

Philip was what maybe considered a wise man with a foolish mouth just waiting for the disrespectful to exploit

Its a shame he never got a telegram from his wife
Approx 40% of the founding population of Iceland were Irish slaves.

There is a very high incidence of red hair in Iceland.

What if the worstest despot IS the monarch? No redress there.

No. All you obsequious Royal sycophants should try and have a bit of self respect and stop bending the knee to such a ludicrous family. If we didn't have a Royal Family most of you would never vote for one.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Greed, wilful ignorance and blind indifference for others have a lot to answer for. We live in a world where for the most part these things are not as blatantly flaunted or they are expressed differently. However in reality in some corners of the world, including our corner, life is every bit as harsh as it ever was and countless people are still enslaved and treated abysmally. We like to think we live in an enlightened age and to an extent we do, as far as we can see, but don't look behind the curtain.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

big mervyn wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:46 pm All you obsequious Royal sycophants should try and have a bit of self respect and stop bending the knee to such a ludicrous family.
Not sure I'm an obsequious royal sycophant or not - I judge each of them on their actions and some of them I have some respect for, some I have no respect for.

What I will tell ye for nothing is that when I was outvoted by the Grumpy family and made to wait and see HM and HRH her consort, they stood in front of me just a few feet away and I didn't bend the knee to either of them and I persuaded my family that we had better things to do than hang around there gawping.

Am I an obsequious sycophant? For the sake of my self-respect, I need to know! :shock:
I'm not arguing -
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

big mervyn wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:46 pm
Approx 40% of the founding population of Iceland were Irish slaves.

There is a very high incidence of red hair in Iceland.
So wot yer sayin is that 60% of the founding population were Scots? :shock:
I'm not arguing -
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:52 pm
big mervyn wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:46 pm All you obsequious Royal sycophants should try and have a bit of self respect and stop bending the knee to such a ludicrous family.
Not sure I'm an obsequious royal sycophant or not - I judge each of them on their actions and some of them I have some respect for, some I have no respect for.

What I will tell ye for nothing is that when I was outvoted by the Grumpy family and made to wait and see HM and HRH her consort, they stood in front of me just a few feet away and I didn't bend the knee to either of them and I persuaded my family that we had better things to do than hang around there gawping.

Am I an obsequious sycophant? For the sake of my self-respect, I need to know! :shock:
You're bending the knee by tolerating their status.
Big Neville Southall
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

big mervyn wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:16 pm

I tolerate their status the same as you do.

Yapping about them and criticising now and again ain't gonna get you your republic, other than that for both of us they have no day to day relevance.
I'm not arguing -
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:44 pm
big mervyn wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:16 pm

I tolerate their status the same as you do.

Yapping about them and criticising now and again ain't gonna get you your republic, other than that for both of us they have no day to day relevance.
You tell him Grumps. :lol:
Ole Red Merv is a lost cause, but he likes a good oul moan. I'm happy that we can facilitate his penchant as a public service. Keeps him on an even keel instead of stomping round the house like a latter day Jimmy Knapp.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Baroness Shirley Williams. A legendary figure of liberal working class common sense.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Yes, an impressive lady. RIP Shirley.