And today, joining the underground .....

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Re: And today, joining the underground .....

Post by big mervyn »

Dusty Hill has ZZ Stopped breathing

Also somewhat remiss not to mark the passing of the comedy legend that was Jackie Mason earlier in the week.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Dublin4
Warrior Assassin

Post by Dublin4 »

Kool and the gang. Thats the way I like it. Aha
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Dublin4 wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:15 pm Kool and the gang. Thats the way I like it. Aha
Well ... one of the gang ...

Kool and most of the other 28 past and current members are still alive afaik.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

No longer til death do us part, but now death doth us part from Una Stubbs.

She's taken her last summer holiday ...
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Haven't seen hide nor hair of Til Death Us Do Part for many's a day. It would be interesting to see if it comes across as quaintly funny or embarrassingly cringe-worthy, given how times have changed since it was first shown.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Nanci Griffith

God might be watching her ... but no longer from a distance.
Big Neville Southall
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Great song. One of SWMBO's favourites from mid/late 80s.
volvo
Novice

Post by volvo »

Hi Solids

Still think it was great British humour 60/70's before the PC brigade took over.

Whole series has been released on DVD including some of the very early B&W programmes, whole box set can be bought on ebay for about £30 and worth every penny I'm no racist far from it but it portrays the times as they were back then. It and Steptoe Brilliant but my Mum wasn't pleased when she caught the brother and me watching either, said watching those programmes was a bad influence :D
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

volvo wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 6:01 pm Hi Solids

Still think it was great British humour 60/70's before the PC brigade took over.

Whole series has been released on DVD including some of the very early B&W programmes, whole box set can be bought on ebay for about £30 and worth every penny I'm no racist far from it but it portrays the times as they were back then. It and Steptoe Brilliant but my Mum wasn't pleased when she caught the brother and me watching either, said watching those programmes was a bad influence :D
The whole point of Til Death ... was that Alf was meant to be a figure of ridicule. Unfortunately the satire lost on many of the Engerlish public and he became something of a hero to the working class right much to Speight's chagrin. I agree it was excellent as was Steptoe and Son and the Likely Lads - the original b&w episodes from the 60s all brilliantly written and edgey unlike much of the sitcom dross that was to follow in the 70s/80s
Big Neville Southall
Hans Indaruck
Squire

Post by Hans Indaruck »

big mervyn wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 6:23 pm

The whole point of Til Death ... was that Alf was meant to be a figure of ridicule. Unfortunately the satire lost on many of the Engerlish public and he became something of a hero to the working class right much to Speight's chagrin. I agree it was excellent as was Steptoe and Son and the Likely Lads - the original b&w episodes from the 60s all brilliantly written and edgey unlike much of the sitcom dross that was to follow in the 70s/80s
Quite so Merve! It was ground breaking humour and ground breaking television - ironically at the time it caused more controversy because of the ‘excessive’ swearing (especially the use of ‘bloody’) than the racist element!
I had the privilege of meeting Warren Mitchell (Alf) some years back in London - he was an absolute gentleman and indeed expressed a fondness for Belfast and Norn Iron.
They don’t make em like they used to!
Hope is not a strategy.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Hans Indaruck wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:20 pm

Quite so Merve! It was ground breaking humour and ground breaking television - ironically at the time it caused more controversy because of the ‘excessive’ swearing (especially the use of ‘bloody’) than the racist element!
I had the privilege of meeting Warren Mitchell (Alf) some years back in London - he was an absolute gentleman and indeed expressed a fondness for Belfast and Norn Iron.
Does anybody remember "So You Think You've Got Troubles"? 90s sitcom based in Belfast starred Starring Warren Mitchell, James Ellis and Harry Towb. Bit of sectarian humour with a Jewish twist. Not great though. The dry cleaners in Stranmillis was one of the filming locations.
Big Neville Southall
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

big mervyn wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:19 pm
Hans Indaruck wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:20 pm

Does anybody remember "So You Think You've Got Troubles"? 90s sitcom based in Belfast starred Starring Warren Mitchell, James Ellis and Harry Towb. Bit of sectarian humour with a Jewish twist. Not great though. The dry cleaners in Stranmillis was one of the filming locations.
Yip - the Bradford & Bingley (now probably a coffee shop) beside SS Moores was another location - I met Mitchell in Calendar street at the time.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Gerd Muller another soccer dementia victim.
Big Neville Southall
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

The sauce may have been an issue too.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Strange thing. He never took a corner.
Big Neville Southall