And today, joining the underground .....

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

Bobbievee
Warrior

Re: And today, joining the underground .....

Post by Bobbievee »

BR wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:13 pm
big mervyn wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:19 pm
Hans Indaruck wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:20 pm
big mervyn wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 6:23 pm
volvo wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 6:01 pm Hi Solids

Still think it was great British humour 60/70's before the PC brigade took over.

Whole series has been released on DVD including some of the very early B&W programmes, whole box set can be bought on ebay for about £30 and worth every penny I'm no racist far from it but it portrays the times as they were back then. It and Steptoe Brilliant but my Mum wasn't pleased when she caught the brother and me watching either, said watching those programmes was a bad influence :D
The whole point of Til Death ... was that Alf was meant to be a figure of ridicule. Unfortunately the satire lost on many of the Engerlish public and he became something of a hero to the working class right much to Speight's chagrin. I agree it was excellent as was Steptoe and Son and the Likely Lads - the original b&w episodes from the 60s all brilliantly written and edgey unlike much of the sitcom dross that was to follow in the 70s/80s
Quite so Merve! It was ground breaking humour and ground breaking television - ironically at the time it caused more controversy because of the ‘excessive’ swearing (especially the use of ‘bloody’) than the racist element!
I had the privilege of meeting Warren Mitchell (Alf) some years back in London - he was an absolute gentleman and indeed expressed a fondness for Belfast and Norn Iron.
They don’t make em like they used to!
Does anybody remember "So You Think You've Got Troubles"? 90s sitcom based in Belfast starred Starring Warren Mitchell, James Ellis and Harry Towb. Bit of sectarian humour with a Jewish twist. Not great though. The dry cleaners in Stranmillis was one of the filming locations.
Yip - the Bradford & Bingley (now probably a coffee shop) beside SS Moores was another location - I met Mitchell in Calendar street at the time.

aaah, SS Moores., the original proper sports shop. ( as an alternative to the Athletic stores)
Sammy Moore always allowed you to leave ( at whatever age) with the feeling that you had just secured a bargain. Lovely Man. The sons who carried on the business were provided with a great customer service example and a loyal customer base
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Hans Indaruck wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:20 pm
big mervyn wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 6:23 pm
volvo wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 6:01 pm Hi Solids

Still think it was great British humour 60/70's before the PC brigade took over.

Whole series has been released on DVD including some of the very early B&W programmes, whole box set can be bought on ebay for about £30 and worth every penny I'm no racist far from it but it portrays the times as they were back then. It and Steptoe Brilliant but my Mum wasn't pleased when she caught the brother and me watching either, said watching those programmes was a bad influence :D
The whole point of Til Death ... was that Alf was meant to be a figure of ridicule. Unfortunately the satire lost on many of the Engerlish public and he became something of a hero to the working class right much to Speight's chagrin. I agree it was excellent as was Steptoe and Son and the Likely Lads - the original b&w episodes from the 60s all brilliantly written and edgey unlike much of the sitcom dross that was to follow in the 70s/80s
Quite so Merve! It was ground breaking humour and ground breaking television - ironically at the time it caused more controversy because of the ‘excessive’ swearing (especially the use of ‘bloody’) than the racist element!
I had the privilege of meeting Warren Mitchell (Alf) some years back in London - he was an absolute gentleman and indeed expressed a fondness for Belfast and Norn Iron.
They don’t make em like they used to!
I saw him at White Hart Lane once.

Spurs fan not West ‘am.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Bobbievee wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:39 pm
aaah, SS Moores., the original proper sports shop. ( as an alternative to the Athletic stores)
Sammy Moore always allowed you to leave ( at whatever age) with the feeling that you had just secured a bargain. Lovely Man. The sons who carried on the business were provided with a great customer service example and a loyal customer base
Happy memories, Bobbie. Over a few years in my mid teens, my mother bought me half a dozen slazenger v neck sweaters: yellow, orange, pink..., all a size or two too big but they were bargains and that's all that mattered. Sammy was a great salesman.

Athletic Stores was for the swanky. I seem to remember Jack Bowden's shop but can't remember where it was. And a shop in Main Street, Bangor.

Podium, Sports Direct, Decathlon are all soulless in comparison to all of them.
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

We formed an old boys team ( mid 60s) from our Bb football team and entered the OB league. Next thing we got a fixture list. Big problem; no kit. Sammy was a Director at the Whites ( Distillery) and two of his sons were in our " squad" . Hence for our first match in Lurgan we had a loan kit of white shirts, shorts and socks.....at the time only worn by Real Madrid.
Great abuse from the Lurgan OB team , who proceeded to kick the c**p out of us and beat us 4-0. But we looked class!!
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Sorry to hear that Sean Lock has passed. A genuinely funny man who always made me laugh.

I've got 2 autographed DVD covers. Should be worth a smidgen more now.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Gutted about this. Feel so sorry for his family. A genuinely funny comedian which is strangely rare these days. Gone too soon.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

I never liked him, and it is only now that I realise I may have been mixing him up with someone else - Tony Hawkes.

I feel like I should apologise to Lock's family.

Still not convinced he would be in list of top funny-men, but I perhaps should have given a fair crack of the whip.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

BR wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:05 pm I never liked him, and it is only now that I realise I may have been mixing him up with someone else - Tony Hawkes.

I feel like I should apologise to Lock's family.

Still not convinced he would be in list of top funny-men, but I perhaps should have given a fair crack of the whip.
If you haven’t seen Hawks in his self-penned whimsical musical ‘Midlife Cowboy, set in the Swindon Country and Western Club, you haven’t lived.
armalig
Novice

Post by armalig »

solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

armalig wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:11 am very sad....
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-58297010
Yes, absolutely tragic. Looks like one of those awful underlying conditions that can happen at any time, rather than specifically rugby-related. Sport is normally so very good for us but from time to time, fortunately very rarely, it is the trigger for tragedy.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Don Everly ... bye bye bruv
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Dublin4
Warrior Assassin

Post by Dublin4 »

Charlie Watts has joined Brian Jones in the great gig in the sky.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

I've seen a couple of comparisons with Ringo Starr. I think most people considered Watts to be the better drummer but I suppose compaisons are not really of much value.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

solidarity wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:44 pm I've seen a couple of comparisons with Ringo Starr. I think most people considered Watts to be the better drummer but I suppose compaisons are not really of much value.
I think Charlie was pretty good. He was a jazz drummer like Ginger Baker. They say Keith was the real drummer in the Stones as the whole band including Charlie followed his rhythms.
Big Neville Southall
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

big mervyn wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:46 pm
solidarity wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:44 pm I've seen a couple of comparisons with Ringo Starr. I think most people considered Watts to be the better drummer but I suppose compaisons are not really of much value.
I think Charlie was pretty good. He was a jazz drummer like Ginger Baker. They say Keith was the real drummer in the Stones as the whole band including Charlie followed his rhythms.
Neither of them were in Ginger's league. Both rock steady drummers, but Baker was an innovator. Mind you Ginger's ego was even bigger than even his talent.