Autobiographies

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

GUBU
Novice

Re: Autobiographies

Post by GUBU »

big mervyn wrote:
Cap'n Grumpy wrote:I can't remember who it was but someone complimented them on their "autobiography"

Person responded with (something like) "Thank-you, I'm looking forward to reading it". :lol:
Another exchange between 2 former rugby players (I can't remember who either!):

Player 1 "Who did you get to write your autobiography for you?"
Player 2 "Who did you get to read yours for you?"
A few years ago, out of curiosity, I went with a work colleague to Easons where a moderately well known professional footballer was signing copies of his autobiography. We went up to the table, and the book (quite thin) was duly signed, at which point my colleague said jovially 'At least after today you can say that you have actually written something in your own book'.

The look on the erstwhile author's coupon was priceless.

As for rugby autobiographies, I'm sure I'm not the only person who enjoyed Clive Woodward's book largely for its fascinating insight into the world of photocopier sales.
“It was a bizarre happening, an unprecedented situation, a grotesque situation, an almost unbelievable mischance.”
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

eeyore wrote:Michael Dunlop's is a decent read. Very frank as you'd expect and an insight into an extraordinary family
I read his. Thought it was outstanding.
Frank
Novice

Post by Frank »

Autobiographies of modern day sports people tend to be dull.
Because they are dull and trained to be so.
The family photo albums in the middle are about as interesting as Jeremy Corbyns tie choice.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Frank wrote:Autobiographies of modern day sports people tend to be dull.
Because they are dull and trained to be so.
The family photo albums in the middle are about as interesting as Jeremy Corbyns tie choice.
Dull, Dull, Dull.
Last edited by Cap'n Grumpy on Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Frank
Novice

Post by Frank »

I'll take it back.
At least Jeremy Corbyns tie choice has generated a conversation.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Frank wrote:I'll take it back.
At least Jeremy Corbyns tie choice has generated a conversation.
No it hasn't. >EW
I'm not arguing -
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Don't read BOD's.

That's my recommendation.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Tighthead Prod
Novice

Post by Tighthead Prod »

Best sporting autobiography I've read was on Moss Keane. It was co written by Moss and Billy Keane who is a journalist. As well as giving an insight into the great man himself, it also provides a vivid social history of the time when Moss was growing up in Co.Kerry.

Currently halfway through Doddie Weir's book...his account/perception of how the medical profession advised him of his MND diagnosis should be compulsory reading for all medical students, Junior Doctors in training and Consultants ie how not to advise someone that htey have a serious illness.

Ian McGeehan's biography was also a good read
http://www.thefru.co.uk Valiant for Truth Justice and the Ulster Way.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Surely this classic has to be top of the list......

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Trevor-Brennan ... 0954865359
Greenmoon
Novice

Post by Greenmoon »

Just read “Forever Young”, a biography of Adrian Doherty, a contemporary of the “Class of 92” at Manchester United, and regarded by those who saw him as better than those who made it. Injury early on meant he never made the top flight of professional football, and his life was tragically cut short. He died aged 27.
While ostensibly a “sporting” biography, the really interesting parts deal with Doherty’s life outside football – he loved music and poetry and would often busk in the centre of Manchester when he finished training, rather than touring the local boutiques in search of the latest fashions swanning around in his Ferarri/Bentley/Aston Martin
I found it sad and moving. I also found it uplifting that someone saw that, regardless of how good you might be at chasing a ball around a football field, life really happens beyond the stadium.
I may be in a minority of one but I wonder if Andy Murray read the book, would he stop blubbering on about the fact that he is going to have to stop playing tennis and get a real job (I added that last bit myself).
Marco
Novice

Post by Marco »

Read Doddie's book, one of life's good guys, irrespective of the MND, so sad that the last chapter still has to be written in this book but I have a feeling it will take a while, given his spirit, and in the meantime is putting his heart and soul into his Foundation to do something rather than sit back and wait. PS his comments ref the poor style of coaching during his time with the Borders were very insightful!

The 'Boy on the Shed' by Paul Ferris also highly recommended, read it!

No interest in reading BODs, the way he treated Paul Kimmage was in my view a disgrace.
horslips
Novice

Post by horslips »

just finished Guy Martins latest tome " We Need to Weaken the Mixture". I like the man, daft as a brush, honest and a grafter.
STO SURSUM PRO ULSTERMEN
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Not an auto, -just a biography - but I thoroughly recommend "Mark of the Lion" by Kenneth Sandford if you can lay your mits on it. Out of print here but can be bought from New Zealand, or possibly borrowed from a library (which is where I first picked it up).

The story of Charles Upham VC and Bar - an inspirational story of a very modest and humble Kiwi (bet you never knew such a thing existed :lol: ).

I talked to Jack Kyle about him - Jack met him when he toured with New Zealand the Lions in 1950 and described him as the most humble man he ever met. A truly brave war hero who gave all the credit to his men, of whom he said it was his privilege to lead.

If I was to recommend one book and one book only, it would be this.
I'm not arguing -
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Enjoyed Brian Moore's 'Beware of the dog.' Really wanted to like Stevie Ferris's book but, 'fraid not.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Derek Pringle’s book is a good read for those of you that like your balls hard, red and shiny.