Portrush

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Portrush

Post by justinr73 »

Had a cracking 24 hours there this weekend.

Watched Rory in Kiwi’s Brew Bar (my namesake behind the bar was a top lad).

The seafood thermidore at Ramore Wine Bar was excellent, especially the prawns. I suspect I’m not the first person on here to have ordered that.

Finished off with some karaoke in the Port Hotel. My ‘Birdhouse in your Soul’ was very warmly received.

Can’t understand the exodus to Spain....
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Re: Portrush

Post by big mervyn »

justinr73 wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:10 am Had a cracking 24 hours there this weekend.

The seafood thermidore at Ramore Wine Bar was excellent, especially the prawns. I suspect I’m not the first person on here to have ordered that.

Finished off with some karaoke in the Port Hotel. My ‘Birdhouse in your Soul’ was very warmly received.

Beat this for value last Sat: 2 x fillet steaks with chips, peas, mushrooms, grilled tom and pepper sauce + a bottle of vino and 2 pints and free live entertainment for €27.40!!

They also do curryoke out here. Your usual singalong with a chicken madras, rice and naan for €5 😅
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Very reasonable.

It's probably warmer too.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

justinr73 wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:32 pm Very reasonable.

It's probably warmer too.
Has been, but actually going to be p$shing down for the next few days >EF

Used to get great garlic chips in Chequers in Portrush. Our dog used to go mad for them 😁
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

big mervyn wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:35 am
justinr73 wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:10 am Had a cracking 24 hours there this weekend.

Beat this for value last Sat: 2 x fillet steaks with chips, peas, mushrooms, grilled tom and pepper sauce + a bottle of vino and 2 pints and free live entertainment for €27.40!!

They also do curryoke out here. Your usual singalong with a chicken madras, rice and naan for €5 😅
Book me a table!

By the way, good grub in all of the Ramore units. However, the desserts look great but look better than they taste. All sugary blandness.
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

One of the staff in the wine bar told me once that it costs them about 50p to make the chill chicken pasta dish. No wonder they are raking it in.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

We had some Orchard Thieves instead of a dessert.

Ordering a bowl of pasta anywhere other than Italy is generally a pretty poor call.

Nice town - even Lionels were made to feel welcome.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

justinr73 wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:19 pm We had some Orchard Thieves instead of a dessert.

Ordering a bowl of pasta anywhere other than Italy is generally a pretty poor call.

Nice town - even Lionels were made to feel welcome.
Give it a wide berth in the twelfth fortnight.
Big Neville Southall
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Come on -- some enjoy a couple of weeks drunken bigotry.

The port is not that bad to be honest

The making of a meal costs little its the overheads that kill Cafes (heat-light -rates and wages )

When caught short ( and who hasn't been ) frequently use pub loos -- but always leave some money on the counter or over it.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Can't believe what a shythole Portstewart has become these days.
Big Neville Southall
fermain
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by fermain »

really? why? Been a while, but I may take a scoot up in a couple of weeks just to see it again.
:red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red:
Save lives, become an organ donor!!
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

fermain wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:21 am really? why? Been a while, but I may take a scoot up in a couple of weeks just to see it again.
Looked really run down last time I was there.
Big Neville Southall
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Was in Portrush again last weekend.

Three highlights in no particular order:

A) The chowder (and the view) in 55 Degrees North;
B) The harbour porpoises swimming about on Sunday morning and
C) The amusement arcade opposite The White House booming out Lady Willpower by Gary Puckett and the Union Gap
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

justinr73 wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:40 am Was in Portrush again last weekend.

Three highlights in no particular order:

A) The chowder (and the view) in 55 Degrees North;
B) The harbour porpoises swimming about on Sunday morning and
C) The amusement arcade opposite The White House booming out Lady Willpower by Gary Puckett and the Union Gap
Yip, that's about it for Portrush's highlights.

No, that's too cynical, it has got its act together to some degree since the Open arrived last year but it still has some way to go. At least there are very few empty shops in the main st. There are a few cute wee antique places to browse but never buy in and a decent, if tiny, second-hand book shop.
Alister Scott
Steward

Post by Alister Scott »

big mervyn wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:35 am

The cost of the plane tickets to get there and the two weeks quarantine when ya come home sorta add to the price and detract from the experience though. Apparently that last bit has something to do with government regulations.

seafood thermidore benefits from 🎣 though ... apparently.