Aer Lingus customer service warning

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

for dog and ulcer
Lord Chancellor

Aer Lingus customer service warning

Post by for dog and ulcer »

Having booked and paid fees for 2 assigned seats on a flight from Dublin to Boston I was shocked to be moved on online check-in to two cheaper seats. At the desk no explanation could be given as to why I could not get my contracted seats. On claiming a refund I am tersely told that there are no refunds for service fees. Essentially then this is a one way contract leading to an inevitable loss by the customer. The contracted service is charged for but not delivered and the charge is not refunded.

The conclusion appears to be to pay no advance fees for services which you won't get. Don't pre-book seats. The second conclusion is to avoid travelling by Aer Lingus. Does this situation apply in the airline industry generally or is it specific to Aer Lingus? You can't book without agreeing to terms and conditions which are absurdly one sided and deprive the customer of their rights to get what they paid for.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Re: Aer Lingus customer service warning

Post by big mervyn »

for dog and ulcer wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:44 pm Having booked and paid fees for 2 assigned seats on a flight from Dublin to Boston I was shocked to be moved on online check-in to two cheaper seats. At the desk no explanation could be given as to why I could not get my contracted seats. On claiming a refund I am tersely told that there are no refunds for service fees. Essentially then this is a one way contract leading to an inevitable loss by the customer. The contracted service is charged for but not delivered and the charge is not refunded.

The conclusion appears to be to pay no advance fees for services which you won't get. Don't pre-book seats. The second conclusion is to avoid travelling by Aer Lingus. Does this situation apply in the airline industry generally or is it specific to Aer Lingus? You can't book without agreeing to terms and conditions which are absurdly one sided and deprive the customer of their rights to get what they paid for.
Keep complaining in writing. I had an issue with Aer Lingus baggage charges to Seattle that significantly decreased in price post-booking. The call centre operative insisted that I had no grounds for a refund. I took it up the line in writing and eventually got the full baggage charge reimbursed.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
for dog and ulcer
Lord Chancellor

Thanks for that advice. It has annoyed me considerably and you have provided the motivation for me to pursue the matter further. The principle is much more important than the finance. And the offhand dismissal of the claim adds insult to injury.
for dog and ulcer
Lord Chancellor

Two refusals so far by email from different personnel. Here"s a quote:
"we endeavour to honour advance seating requests, however, we cannot guarantee any particular seat, including those for which a fee was paid." Astonishing contract totally loaded against the customer. No service and if no service no refund either. Imagine this in another context. No heating oil supplied- sorry about that, we don't have to explain why, but no refund either.

Caveat emptor. Note the language-"seating requests" -booking seats is a lottery- a gamble.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

They should never have sold out to the Brits!
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

big mervyn wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:41 pm They should never have sold out to the Brits!

Agreed.

Paddy would at least sugar-coat the message when he is screwing you over.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.