Coronavirus 2020 - What can I do?

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Re: Coronavirus 2020 - What can I do?

Post by big mervyn »

rumncoke wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:21 am No9
The success or failure of a vaccine depends upon the ability of the virus to transmute so far covid-19 seems to have lacked this ability. It is the ability of the flu virus to transform from year to year makes it harder to create a 100 % sure vaccine. But diseases like Polio, Smallpox etc have been reduced very successfully by vaccines.

The white man killed more indigenous peoples with diseases than with bullets .
Rum. The Covid19 present in Europe has already mutated from the original outbreak in Wuhan.

Some strains of the common cold are Coronaviruses. They are very good at adapting and there is no guarantee that a vaccine will be found.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

... and of course, it mutated before that to cross from the animal to human population. RNA viruses are very good at it. One hope is that it will mutate into a more benign form.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

It has mutated yes but from the studies I've read it is unlikely to mutate it's protein binding sites, meaning it will still be covered by a vaccine.
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
Amiga500
Warrior Chief

Post by Amiga500 »

UlsterNo9 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:45 pm It won't be beaten that easily unfortunately my Amiga, if you lock down society to beat the epidemic, and succeed in drastically slowing new infections, but then go back to what you were doing before, the epidemic can just come raging back.
Who said about going back to what was done before?

This, as you say below, is long haul stuff.

UlsterNo9 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:45 pm There is a misconception that any COVID-19 vaccine ready in 12-18 months time will make everyone immune, there is no vaccine that has a 100% success rate, a decent vaccine hits the 50 / 60% success mark. Bear in mind COVID-19 already has more than one strain, it will continue to mutate.
A vaccine with > 60% success rate gives the herd immunity that they English were on about.

Only without killing a tens of thousands of people by acquiring it the hard way!
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

Day two of infection and I can honestly say I’ve had worse hangovers.
Burning fever, which manifested as my head burning up with a pressure headache. Serious aches and bad back pain. Feeling really tired and rather trippy. I have no cough so far, which is great as I’m asthmatic and also had a heart attack at the end of November last year.
Paracetamol along with a really high fluid (water)intake, would lower the fever, but I’ve been taking Co-codamol which contained paracetamol but also eases the pains.
IMO CoVid 19 is just a really contagious flu which the Government’s of the world were ill prepared to deal with. I think the emergency 111 helpline was set up just as a way to register new cases without actually testing people. Boris’s bluster about Britain’s health services being prepared and having everything they need is total bull.
I was told (first hand) that we don’t have the testing facilities here to even properly monitor the virus.
But Heh, don’t panic folks. We survived Thatcher’s Governments and England winning the World Cup...we’ll survive this and come out the other side with some lovely pasta mosaics and we won’t run out of bog roll until Christmas.
Support the Team, not the regime
Guinness is Good For You.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Tender wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:13 pm Day two of infection and I can honestly say I’ve had worse hangovers.
Burning fever, which manifested as my head burning up with a pressure headache. Serious aches and bad back pain. Feeling really tired and rather trippy. I have no cough so far, which is great as I’m asthmatic and also had a heart attack at the end of November last year.
Paracetamol along with a really high fluid (water)intake, would lower the fever, but I’ve been taking Co-codamol which contained paracetamol but also eases the pains.
IMO CoVid 19 is just a really contagious flu which the Government’s of the world were ill prepared to deal with. I think the emergency 111 helpline was set up just as a way to register new cases without actually testing people. Boris’s bluster about Britain’s health services being prepared and having everything they need is total bull.
I was told (first hand) that we don’t have the testing facilities here to even properly monitor the virus.
But Heh, don’t panic folks. We survived Thatcher’s Governments and England winning the World Cup...we’ll survive this and come out the other side with some lovely pasta mosaics and we won’t run out of bog roll until Christmas.
Have you been tested? Certainly sounds like classic early symptoms.

All the best anyway. Boris is coming on shortly to cheer you up! :lol:
Big Neville Southall
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Best wishes Tender, how do you think you caught it? Anyone else in the house affected?
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

The problem is that it seems to vary in severity -- been mild -- deadly and the severe version affects the respiratory function and patients require to be hospitalised-- if allowed to follow normal flu like progress through the population the no medical service could cope with the bed demand.

The expected peak, from an informed private nursing source is meant to be around the first /second week in April with Kingsbridge and the Ulster Clinic etc being expected to assist in any hospital overflow.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

As advised by the emergency 111 helpline, I phoned the ‘Out of Hours Service’ explained my symptoms and the Doctor told me she was fairly sure I had CoVid19. I asked if I needed tested and she replied they didn’t have the facilities.
The fever and pressure headache have returned with a vengeance tonight, but I still don’t have a cough.
I don’t know of anyone I was in contact with in the past 14 days who has the virus. I was already on Gardening Leave from work because of my vulnerable adult status (asthma, recent heart attack), so I had very little contact with anyone other than immediate family . My Son, who still lives at home is now showing symptoms, but my Wife has been fine so far . It seems to me, unless you’re struggling to breath, the NHS don’t want you near a hospital.
As the preacher in Blazing Saddles said ‘Son, yer on yer own’
Support the Team, not the regime
Guinness is Good For You.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Good luck Tender.
I had the fever and severe cold-like symptoms for 3 to 4 days, started to feel better again and the constant cough didn't kick in for another 4 days after that.
Of course this was back in January, so despite the symptoms being identical, it couldnt have been COVID19. Or could it?
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

BR wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:04 am Good luck Tender.
I had the fever and severe cold-like symptoms for 3 to 4 days, started to feel better again and the constant cough didn't kick in for another 4 days after that.
Of course this was back in January, so despite the symptoms being identical, it couldnt have been COVID19. Or could it?
They think that the official figures may only represent 5% of the total infected BR - due to the testing issues Tender alluded to.

We're 99% cettain Mrs BM had it in Spain. Same symptoms as both of you. The dry cough kicked in after 4/5 days. We self isolated together for a fortnight. We traced the source to a friend who had come from Estonia and was in contact with a family member of someone who had tested +ve. Our friend got the symptoms 4 days before Mrs BM. I got nothing. That's not unusual for me - I didn't get any of the usual childhood diseases like mumps and chicken pox and didn't need a TB jab because I have the antibodies naturally.

Take it easy Tender and if you think you do need treatment don't hsng about!. My dayghter is an anaesthetics reg and she assures me that there is plenty of capacity at the minute.
Big Neville Southall
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

big mervyn wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:39 am
They think that the official figures may only represent 5% of the total infected BR - due to the testing issues Tender alluded to.

We're 99% cettain Mrs BM had it in Spain. Same symptoms as both of you. The dry cough kicked in after 4/5 days. We self isolated together for a fortnight. We traced the source to a friend who had come from Estonia and was in contact with a family member of someone who had tested +ve. Our friend got the symptoms 4 days before Mrs BM. I got nothing. That's not unusual for me - I didn't get any of the usual childhood diseases like mumps and chicken pox and didn't need a TB jab because I have the antibodies naturally.

Take it easy Tender and if you think you do need treatment don't hsng about!. My daughter is an anaesthetics reg and she assures me that there is plenty of capacity at the minute.
Big Neville Southall
mid ulster maestro
Warrior Chief

Post by mid ulster maestro »

Tender, my niece had the same symptoms and thankfully recovered within a week. Her GP said it was flu like but not coronavirus.
I can't imagine what was going through your head when you started to feel unwell but I'm glad to hear nothing too serious.
The MUM household is on lockdown and only venturing out to get the meds and essentials.
Was in Tescos this morning at 7 and managed to avoid pretty much everyone although the shelves are still pretty empty in the pasta, rice and cleaning products aisles. There must be some folk who have stashed enough toilet roll for them to host the NI heat of the british sh1tting competition.
Stay safe guys and I hope you have an uneventful trip home Merv.
When the bottom has fallen out of your world.
Take Enos and let the world fall out of your bottom!
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

I'm home now MUM. A bit more isolation from close family just to be safe.
Big Neville Southall
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

big mervyn wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:39 am
I think that is an accepted parameter of the figures quoted, and why it is not helpful to try to compare across different testing and treatment regimes. No doubt someone will eventually calculate a reasonable extrapolation, but lets hope by then its an exercise in hindsight.
I wonder what % of those who are assumed +ve have actually got some other virus/illness.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk