Coronavirus 2020 - What can I do?

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Coronavirus 2020 - What can I do?

Post by Shan »

solidarity wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:37 pm Could somebody somewhere please show me an example of Michelle O'Neill making a positive contribution to the situation. All she seems to do is criticise and draw attention to problems that everybody knows about and that just don't have straightforward quick solutions.
Misogynist. :D :D
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

This fecking working from home is proving to be a bit of a pain in the balls. I thought it would be a bit of relief but I actually have to work. Still though when I think of all the poor feckers who've lost their jobs it provides perspective.

Feck but it looks like we are in for the long haul. The numbers already at scary levels and rising faster every day.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Aye, scary stuff. Seems like it's only a matter of time until its someone we know who becomes more than a statistic.

Strangely, I'm working longer hours and with better concentration than I did in the office. No interruptions, nothing else to do. The sooner it's over the better.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

I have six family members who work for the NHS 3 are doctors 2 in London one having to make decisions to switch off life support ---

and some complain about having to work from home .
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

rumncoke wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:45 pm I have six family members who work for the NHS 3 are doctors 2 in London one having to make decisions to switch off life support ---

and some complain about having to work from home .
Rum, if that's a reference to my post, I fear that my attempt at ironic humour has gone astray. Working from home, I have no travelling time to work and I can work far more efficiently here than in my office. If I could, I would work from home more often. Incidentally, I also get to spend more time with SWMBO - always a bonus.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Not really a personal dig at anyone more a personal worry about family members in the front line working 12 hour shifts i having to make life and death decisions in PPE that makes you look like a moonwalker and sweat like a pig in half an hour.

So when this is over don't buy them a drink -- buy them a meal .

It is easy to bemoan the lack of PPE but the fact is no national medical service or Government could afford to stock sufficient to cope with an easily transmitted deadly virus. --Nor has the human race tried to cope with one internationally -- where the virus has spread so quickly from continent to continent.

I am reliably inform that the first serious cases in NI were amongst Taxi drivers doing Airport runs. Persons sharing a small space for a period of time with a limited air supply.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

rumncoke wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:13 am Not really a personal dig at anyone more a personal worry about family members in the front line working 12 hour shifts i having to make life and death decisions in PPE that makes you look like a moonwalker and sweat like a pig in half an hour.

So when this is over don't buy them a drink -- buy them a meal .

It is easy to bemoan the lack of PPE but the fact is no national medical service or Government could afford to stock sufficient to cope with an easily transmitted deadly virus. --Nor has the human race tried to cope with one internationally -- where the virus has spread so quickly from continent to continent.

I am reliably inform that the first serious cases in NI were amongst Taxi drivers doing Airport runs. Persons sharing a small space for a period of time with a limited air supply.
I think the main criticism is that nothing was done to secure more supplies in January when we were all well aware of the dangers and Boris was holidaying and trying to "raise a bob for a Big Ben Bong" ffs :roll:

My daughter is also doing those 12 hr shifts at both the Mater and the "Nightingale". As a critical care doctor she is at the very front of the frontline. I've told her to walk away if she isn't happy with the PPE available.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
tigerburnie
Warrior

Post by tigerburnie »

Hope you're not all going stir crazy, as I live in a small village and have not been into either Montrose or Arbroath for almost a month, I'm dodging most of the worries. People in our village sadly seem to think it's ok to carry on as normal as they think we are immune, social distancing seems to mean less than a couple of centimetres, not metres, we manage to get out for daily exercise by waiting till they've all gone home. Built a pond in the garden, shifted 2.25 tons of soil, so no need for a gym membership......not bad for a 70 year old lol.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Anybody feel like cold calling Conor Murphy and asking him if he's been missold PPE?
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

An MCB old girl in a spot of bother over in Jockland!
Big Neville Southall
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

I liked the cut of Kier Starmer in the run up to the Labour election (that all went off pretty quietly, didn't it?) but the first headline today is him criticising the government for its mistakes. If that's his best opening comment, shame on him. If it's an out of context line that the papers have chosen to emphasise, to make a story, shame on them. The simple truth is that we could never have been fully prepared for this; mistakes are inevitable at all levels; people will die who might have been saved if this or that had been different, etc etc.

Like Rum, Merv and others, I have close family who are medics, one in particular is involved in making policy and strategic decisions. The complexity of the situation is mind boggling and the pain of making decisions about who will live and who will die is simply dreadful. Do whatever you can to support NHS folk at all levels, from porters to surgeons, hands on nurses to behind the scenes decision makers.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

And, yes, Merv, if I knew Conor Murphy's phone number, I might well give him a wee call. On the other hand, if I'm to be true to my last post, I'd have to take a very deep breath and end the call with, 'I'm sure you're doing your best, keep going, lad.'
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Wise words Solids ... and be nice to shop workers. They are exposed to most of humanity on a daily basis and for minimum wage.
Big Neville Southall
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

… meanwhile in N Belfast a man has been shot dead at close range.

The PSNI have charged 2 men with a breach of the social distancing regulations.
Big Neville Southall
GLENN CORNICK
Squire

Post by GLENN CORNICK »

big mervyn wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:18 pm An MCB old girl in a spot of bother over in Jockland!
Nay bother, one rule for them; had it been anyone on this board it would be resignation time Monday 9.00am.

Administrators and technocrats don't resign, they are the New [pseudo-Calvinist] Elect of national and international pen pushing.
Beware PC Filth of the Thought Police.