Coronavirus 2020 - What can I do?

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Re: Coronavirus 2020 - What can I do?

Post by big mervyn »

Snipe Watson wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:38 pm Everyone's an expert epidemiologist all of a sudden.
This situation is unprecedented so the best predictive models are just educated guess work. The UK government listened to the experts and followed the science. It'll take at least 12 months before we know effective the UK response has been.

Trump's approach has been wilfully ignorant of the science and politically motivated, that's scandalous and an entirely different discussion.
Funny how the science changes to suit the govt agenda or the PPE available. Too many of the "experts" are glorified civil servants who are just spewing out political spin at the briefings.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

I don’t think we have to wait any length of time to judge the Government’s response. They were told to TEST TEST TEST by the WHO and they still haven’t tested more than 14500 on a single day and this is 19th April. Their promised 100000 tests per day by the end of this month is looking like another Government Fantasy figure, much like the imaginary number spouted by Priti Patel.

Doctors have no gowns, Careworkers have no PPE, the UK is trying to borrow Ventilators from every Tom Dick and Harry to make up the estimated 20000 more which they now require because the NHS didn’t have the funding to stock the sufficient number because of Government funding cuts.

Doctors, Nurses and Careworkers are dying because of lack of PPE. The Government tell us lies everyday about how many million pieces of PPE they’ve sent out, but they are just hiding behind their figures when anyone with half a head knows the PPE (Gloves, gowns, masks etc) need replaced before contact with each patient/client, so the average Care worker, would require ten sets of kit each day. It’s estimated there are 1million care workers in the UK..the maths is simple. Remember Hancock blamed frontline staff of wasting PPE...

The Government didn’t delay the lockdown on the advice of scientists, they delayed the lockdown because they countenanced the idea of Herd Immunity and spent a few weeks worrying about the economy rather than the lives of Doctors, Nurses and Care workers.
They didn’t have the kits to test, the PPE to help slow down the spread and protect those on the front line, or the ventilators to save lives. They didn’t have enough of the best drugs to treat the virus. THEY STILL DONT and we’re three months into a predicted World Pandemic.

The Government’s response has been pathetic and it has cost thousands of lives and will cost thousands more lives, but heh..sure we’re all in this together and the Queen and Will are proud of us all, so that’s alright then.
We don’t need to wait a year for some Government spin and flag waving propaganda to know how the UK Government handled the CoVid Pandemic. We just need to open our eyes.
The NHS staff and care workers don’t need our applause on a Thursday night, they need better paid, better equipment and a lot more of them doing the job. Many of the Tories we see nightly on our TV’s voted against pay rises for the NHS and the raising of minimum wage (most private care workers are on it), now they are willing to throw Teachers numbers onto the rising Death Toll by re-opening schools in three weeks time...that’s one week after the predicted peak of infection.
Support the Team, not the regime
Guinness is Good For You.
Amiga500
Warrior Chief

Post by Amiga500 »

Snipe Watson wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:38 pm This situation is unprecedented so the best predictive models are just educated guess work.
All models are to some degree or another educated guess work.

Snipe Watson wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:38 pmThe UK government listened to the experts and followed the science. It'll take at least 12 months before we know effective the UK response has been.
Either the experts feck up by behaving like proper academics with not a pragmatic bone in their bodies or the govt feck up by not listening correctly.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

The timing of lock down is based on behavioural sciences and the Estimate of the required length of lockdown.

Implement it to soon and people will either not comply at the start or end of the period of lockdown

Consider the conduct of the public the first week end they only started to take it seriously as the number of cases and deaths rose .

PPE provision again the timing for the UK couldn’t have been worse — with rapidly climbing numbers in Italy France and Spain soaking up any excess in supply — and to hear some the UK is not the only country facing shortages .

Hindsight is the the gift of opposition politicians of course I blame the BBC being the British Blame Corporation — every situation there has to someone to blame and they justify their existence looking for victims .

And then having found someone to blame seek heroes to bleed over in indulgent cringe Television programmes with the presenters trying to out hero the heroes bleeding the money from the public pocket in search of their OBE .

Tender you think you are a cynic — me — I’m the real one
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Amiga500 wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:33 am
Snipe Watson wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:38 pm This situation is unprecedented so the best predictive models are just educated guess work.
All models are to some degree or another educated guess work.
This one more than most.
Snipe Watson wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:38 pmThe UK government listened to the experts and followed the science. It'll take at least 12 months before we know effective the UK response has been.
Either the experts feck up by behaving like proper academics with not a pragmatic bone in their bodies or the govt feck up by not listening correctly.
The experts give an opinion and the government makes a decision based on all the pertinent factors and constraints, not just the expert opinion.
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

And three months into the pandemic the UK still isn’t even testing ICU nurses. Not even if another ICU nurse comes down with the CoVid virus in the same ICU... but sure it’s the nurses fault for wasting all the PPE.

There’s only one thing more abhorrent than a liar, and that’s an apologist for the liar.
Amiga500
Warrior Chief

Post by Amiga500 »

rumncoke wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:24 am The timing of lock down is based on behavioural sciences and the Estimate of the required length of lockdown.
Think for yourself instead of drinking the spoon fed tom kite from westminster.

Its easier to lockdown and essentially kill off the virus if cases number in the tens or hundreds when you do the lockdown than when cases number in the thousands.

That is so obvious that it shouldn't even need explaining.
Amiga500
Warrior Chief

Post by Amiga500 »

Snipe Watson wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:49 pm
The experts give an opinion and the government makes a decision based on all the pertinent factors and constraints, not just the expert opinion.
Well between the lot of them I knew and wrote elsewhere in Feb they were making a complete balls of it.

It didn't take anything beyond a sound knowledge of maths & statistics to know they'd f**ked it up before the beginning of March.

They've continued to demonstrate a complete inability to get a hold of things.

I see they are now making PR noise about awaiting a (quite small in grand scheme of things) PPE order from Turkey. So we are now around 2 months after it all kicked off in Europe and they haven't been able to marshal a network of local suppliers? So there is nowhere in the UK that makes clothes? Or curtains? Or upholstery? Or there is nowhere in the UK that could vacuum form face masks?

JUST WHAT THE SWEET F**K ARE THEY DOING when they are "working hard" to secure PPE?
Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Post by Setanta »

This cabinet would not know what work is if it jumped up and bit them in the Brennan.
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Amiga500 wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:37 pm
Snipe Watson wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:49 pm
Well between the lot of them I knew and wrote elsewhere in Feb they were making a complete balls of it.

It didn't take anything beyond a sound knowledge of maths & statistics to know they'd f**ked it up before the beginning of March.

They've continued to demonstrate a complete inability to get a hold of things.

I see they are now making PR noise about awaiting a (quite small in grand scheme of things) PPE order from Turkey. So we are now around 2 months after it all kicked off in Europe and they haven't been able to marshal a network of local suppliers? So there is nowhere in the UK that makes clothes? Or curtains? Or upholstery? Or there is nowhere in the UK that could vacuum form face masks?

JUST WHAT THE SWEET F**K ARE THEY DOING when they are "working hard" to secure PPE?
Government don't seem to be too keen on backing UK suppliers unless your Dyson and a big donor.

Pity the financial sector can't actually make anything. Decades of Tory rule has decimated the UK manufacturing sector.
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
for dog and ulcer
Lord Chancellor

Post by for dog and ulcer »

Tender wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:57 pm I don’t think we have to wait any length of time to judge the Government’s response. They were told to TEST TEST TEST by the WHO and they still haven’t tested more than 14500 on a single day and this is 19th April. Their promised 100000 tests per day by the end of this month is looking like another Government Fantasy figure, much like the imaginary number spouted by Priti Patel.

Doctors have no gowns, Careworkers have no PPE, the UK is trying to borrow Ventilators from every Tom Dick and Harry to make up the estimated 20000 more which they now require because the NHS didn’t have the funding to stock the sufficient number because of Government funding cuts.

Doctors, Nurses and Careworkers are dying because of lack of PPE. The Government tell us lies everyday about how many million pieces of PPE they’ve sent out, but they are just hiding behind their figures when anyone with half a head knows the PPE (Gloves, gowns, masks etc) need replaced before contact with each patient/client, so the average Care worker, would require ten sets of kit each day. It’s estimated there are 1million care workers in the UK..the maths is simple. Remember Hancock blamed frontline staff of wasting PPE...

The Government didn’t delay the lockdown on the advice of scientists, they delayed the lockdown because they countenanced the idea of Herd Immunity and spent a few weeks worrying about the economy rather than the lives of Doctors, Nurses and Care workers.
They didn’t have the kits to test, the PPE to help slow down the spread and protect those on the front line, or the ventilators to save lives. They didn’t have enough of the best drugs to treat the virus. THEY STILL DONT and we’re three months into a predicted World Pandemic.

The Government’s response has been pathetic and it has cost thousands of lives and will cost thousands more lives, but heh..sure we’re all in this together and the Queen and Will are proud of us all, so that’s alright then.
We don’t need to wait a year for some Government spin and flag waving propaganda to know how the UK Government handled the CoVid Pandemic. We just need to open our eyes.
The NHS staff and care workers don’t need our applause on a Thursday night, they need better paid, better equipment and a lot more of them doing the job. Many of the Tories we see nightly on our TV’s voted against pay rises for the NHS and the raising of minimum wage (most private care workers are on it), now they are willing to throw Teachers numbers onto the rising Death Toll by re-opening schools in three weeks time...that’s one week after the predicted peak of infection.
Says it all for me. The casual manner in which the deaths are related is an indictment of fat Boris's collection of misfits. The freethinking Cummings who really calls the shots is clearly unable to organise a booze up in a brewery. Interesting too how little we hear now of Lord Snooty and his pals.
Amiga500
Warrior Chief

Post by Amiga500 »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-m ... e-52358036

There you go. "Working hard" to secure PPE.

Any apologists for that shower in westminster want to explain this one away?
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Amigo like most morons your firing at the wrong target and you miss the point.

Some Jobsworth Civil servant wrote a specification for PPE donkeys years ago ( ably assisted I'm sure by a desk jockey Doctor at least 10 years from the coal face of A.E.) Thus DelBoy knocking up a few masks in some garage sees an opportunity to make a few bob trying to bypass the inspection and testing of his gear -- mouths off to the British Blame Corporation because NHS procurement ( Civil Service )won't take his dodgy goods off his hands .

The Purchasing dept of The NHS isn't going to chance a precedence of buying any thing from anybody -- drop your guard once and you lose the fight to maintain standards.

Different thing doctors taking what is given to them for free -- pay money and you make a serious problem-- free doesn't have to meet specifications .

Governments only guarantee the money to pay for the purchases they don't write the specification and they don't place the orders.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Amiga500
Warrior Chief

Post by Amiga500 »

So why don't the contact him and help make sure the manufacturing is to standards?

You win the price for biggest idiot apologist.
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

rumncoke wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:04 am Amigo like most morons your firing at the wrong target and you miss the point.

Governments only guarantee the money to pay for the purchases they don't write the specification and they don't place the orders.
So you are saying we’re all morons and the Government are definitely not to blame for the lack of PPE three months into a pandemic.
Do you also believe the NHS still needing 20000 life saving ventilators isn’t the result of Government decisions and only us morons believe that it is?

Is it only us morons who believe the NHS requires 24000 additional nurses to operate at a safe level, even before the CoVid Pandemic?

Are we all morons when we blame the Government for the obvious failings in caring for our elderly, when they sold of their care to profit making private companies just to absolve themselves of any responsibilities and save a few quid ?

Do you ever listen to yourself ? You clearly believe that you know everything about everything.

Yes the Government are an easy target, but on this occasion they stuck that target on their own backs and they replace it on a daily basis with an even larger target. I would suggest if you choose to believe the lies they are feeding us rather than the fact the UK is on target to have the worst CoVid death percentage in the developed world, then you Sir are a fecking Moron.

Ye pays yer money....