Coronavirus 2020 - What can I do?

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

Evil Kiwi
Novice

Re: Coronavirus 2020 - What can I do?

Post by Evil Kiwi »

Kofi Annan wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 10:20 am
Jackie Brown wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 5:20 pm Chances are a vaccine will provide immunity for a finite length of time. Then you'll need a booster. Idea may be like Smallpox, roll out a vaccine worldwide and wipe the fecker out.
Is that your medical opinion ?

SARS 2003: Still no vaccine. MERS 2012: Still no vaccine. Herd immunity is the way out but the public don’t want to hear it.
SARS and MERS were both brought under control through the normal means of isolating those infected and contact tracing. There is no real effort to find a vaccination outside the effected regions. There are currently 50+, I think at the last count, different agencies across the globe developing and trialling a potential vaccine for this novel coronavirus. I think it is reasonable to have hope that one of these will hit the jackpot.

Herd immunity is not a strategy or way out it is an end goal that requires a working vaccine. Not only that, vaccination uptake must be reasonably high. We have vaccines for other diseases such as the measels, which is seeing a resurgence due to recent decreases in vaccination uptake.
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

Evil Kiwi wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 12:09 pm
Jackie Brown wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 5:20 pm Chances are a vaccine will provide immunity for a finite length of time. Then you'll need a booster. Idea may be like Smallpox, roll out a vaccine worldwide and wipe the fecker out.

SARS 2003: Still no vaccine. MERS 2012: Still no vaccine. Herd immunity is the way out but the public don’t want to hear it.
SARS and MERS were both brought under control through the normal means of isolating those infected and contact tracing. There is no real effort to find a vaccination outside the effected regions. There are currently 50+, I think at the last count, different agencies across the globe developing and trialling a potential vaccine for this novel coronavirus. I think it is reasonable to have hope that one of these will hit the jackpot.

Herd immunity is not a strategy or way out it is an end goal that requires a working vaccine. Not only that, vaccination uptake must be reasonably high. We have vaccines for other diseases such as the measels, which is seeing a resurgence due to recent decreases in vaccination uptake.
So we live in hope while world economy crashes, cool.
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
Evil Kiwi
Novice

Post by Evil Kiwi »

Kofi Annan wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 2:12 pm

Project fear.
Amiga500
Warrior Chief

Post by Amiga500 »

Kofi Annan wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 2:12 pm

Kiwi is right, SARS (& MERS) were brought under control before the vaccines under development made it beyond clinical trials - most not even making it to clinical trials.

That does not mean no successful vaccines were developed.

List of candidates:
https://www.who.int/blueprint/priority- ... t-sars.pdf

Summary of clinical trial of one of the few that got as far as that before it was rendered unnecessary:
https://www.intmedpress.com/serveFile.c ... 96b8291dea
Results: On day 42, the seroconversion reached 100% for both vaccine groups. On day 56, 100% of participants in the group receiving 16 SU and 91.1% in the group receiving 32 SU had seroconverted. The geometric mean titre of neutralising antibody peaked 2 weeks after the second vaccination, but decreased 4 weeks later.
Conclusion: The inactivated vaccine was safe and well tolerated and can elicit SARS-CoV-specific neutralising antibodies.
Amiga500
Warrior Chief

Post by Amiga500 »

If you want up to date info on the progress toward a vaccine - this will provide as good an impartial informed summary as anywhere:

https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/05 ... al-trials/
mid ulster maestro
Warrior Chief

Post by mid ulster maestro »

Every day's a school day.
When the bottom has fallen out of your world.
Take Enos and let the world fall out of your bottom!
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Amiga500 wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 12:05 pm If you want up to date info on the progress toward a vaccine - this will provide as good an impartial informed summary as anywhere:

Administered via a suppository?
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Amiga500
Warrior Chief

Post by Amiga500 »

big mervyn wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 8:59 am
Amiga500 wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 12:05 pm If you want up to date info on the progress toward a vaccine - this will provide as good an impartial informed summary as anywhere:

Administered via a suppository?
:lol:

Supposedly means "Art of Technology" - but yeah - reads as "Brennan technica" too!
mid ulster maestro
Warrior Chief

I watched Arlene and Michelle on the local news yesterday giving their briefing. Is it because Michelle talks twice as fast as everone else that there are two signers for the hard of hearing?
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

mid ulster maestro wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 6:47 am I watched Arlene and Michelle on the local news yesterday giving their briefing. Is it because Michelle talks twice as fast as everone else that there are two signers for the hard of hearing?
Themuns and ussuns even have different signs ffs!
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

But the language being signed is still English but the Irish sign language is more International

It is actually the English sign Language which is out of step and internationally less comprehensive
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
mid ulster maestro
Warrior Chief

I see the land of the free has brought in legislation preventing workers from suing their employers for being forced to work in covid rampant meat processing plants. Capitalism as its best.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

I see the lunatics are thinking every one will revert to bicycles because of coronavirus.

My prediction would be that more will seek to live in rural communities -- fewer boxes in the sky -- and going rural will increase car traffic.

The avoidance of public transport will also increase motor traffic especially in Belfast which has never been a bicycle friendly city too many hills be they steep or long they deter the would be cyclist never mind the use of oneway traffic systems and the necessary lane swapping and the benevolent Ulster weather in winter .

Thirdly to many people who work in Belfast live outside the city. N Down, Lisburn Antrim Saintfield etc

The only possible means of reducing traffic is "work at home" -- but not all occupations lend themselves to that solution.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
horslips
Novice

Post by horslips »

I have been looking at the daily data both locally, UK and on Worldometers. I am puzzled as to why the UK data from the Worldometers database looks to be completely at odds with more or less every other country.
Firstly for a number of weeks the daily death toll has a definite tendency to spike up on a Tuesday. Why - is this just sloppy reporting of the data?

Secondly its clearly obvious that the UK curve is markedly different to any other nation. While there could be valid concerns over reporting methods it seems that using Germany as a bench mark other nations bar the UK follow the same trends. I know at the outset it was a target to flatten the curve and while that seems to have happened it does look like the strategy is flawed insomuch as it seems to be failing to bring the virus under control.

I see no basis to make any change to current lockdown measures either this week end or indeed possibly for another 6 weeks. It will be several years before virologists and diesase experts write up their papers detailing their analysis of Covid but I fully expect a litany of flawed and confused decision making to be revealed.
STO SURSUM PRO ULSTERMEN
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

Your analysis and prediction reinforced by today's news that both South Korea and Germany on the climb again, Germany RO back above 1.
Stay home!