Coronavirus 2020 - What can I do?

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Coronavirus 2020 - What can I do?

Post by Dave »

damianmcr wrote:Well said Dave. Unfortunately there's far to many stories out there of those who have already refused it or plan to. It's not even those who are vunerable it's the people who are looking after them. Idiots.
It's easier to spread misinformation unfortunately. Thankfully the results in the elderly has been very good which is often not the case. Really these people are putting themselves in danger.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

There is no reason to believe there could be any long term effects from an mRNA vaccine. The actual mRNA is incredibly tiny. After injection when it has basically performed it's function it disperses. All that is left is the lipids (fats) that it was based in, some salts and sucrose. All completely benign. That's part of how approval for this vaccine was gained so relatively quickly. There is no mechanism for long term side effects.

The Oxford vaccine, although using previously well utilised methods, still is using a novel adenovirus vector. It is a new vaccine and must go through the same testing requirements. Now that the mRNA vaccine has been approved the sequencing could potentially be altered in the mRNA coding to fight new strains without requiring the full safety testing procedures. Potentially a new coding could be sequenced within a week. That's why the mRNA vaccine could be the silver bullet towards a covid free world.

The main concerns regarding the mRNA were would it actually work. This type of vaccine has never been approved before but 10 years of work and other trials have gone into it's creation. The main issue was investment. Nobody wants to invest in an expensive study with no real certainty on if it actually works. With the emergence of Covid, companies like Pzifer-Biotech and Moderna were given billions up front to begin trialling and manufacturing at the same time. The results of the peer reviewed double blind trials were incredible.

The bottom line is you can't give one vaccine a bye ball on safety without the affording the same to both. Both are just as safe as the other. In determining how long to wait before approving the vaccines they thoroughly reviewed the literature on previous vaccine safety. The literature suggests if no safety concerns were identified after 2 months then the vaccine continued to remain safe. I would be more concerned about the long term effects of playing rugby tbh.

damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

Cheers Dave.

I understand with there finally being a working and approved mRNA vaccine this now opens doors to lots of other things such as cancer. Hopefully we see advances here quickly.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

...and there's also the distinct possibility of some ballbeg leaving the Pfizer one out of the fridge for too long.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

If that happens the mRNA would disperse as the lipids melt. You would be injected with just the salts, fats and sugar. You would be better having a fry and a few cream buns.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Dave wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:41 pm If that happens the mRNA would disperse as the lipids melt. You would be injected with just the salts, fats and sugar. You would be better having a fry and a few cream buns.
That's what I've been doing for the past 10 months. So far so good ...
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Big Neville Southall
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

It’s all well and good for Nadhim Zahawi to tell us not to sit on park benches but I’ll wager the lazy get has never walked very briskly up the road to Stormont.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Chief Medical Office Dr Michael McBride has apparently insisted that it’s not “party time” for the vaccinated.

That’s the bingo and whist drives on hold for the time being then.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

unfortunately I now have received my first injection await the second
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

I done seen better days, but I'm putting up with these.

Richard "Rabbit" Brown 1880-1937
American blues guitarist and composer.
Big Neville Southall
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Must have Larne(d)his English from this message board.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

rumncoke wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:59 am Must have Larne(d)his English from this message board.
Doubt if he could read or write!
Big Neville Southall
mid ulster maestro
Warrior Chief

Post by mid ulster maestro »

Bit like some on here. Well the second part at least.
When the bottom has fallen out of your world.
Take Enos and let the world fall out of your bottom!
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Nothing wrong with English like she is spoke !

Ask Ernie Wise !