Gusher has got a gong

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

Tighthead Prod
Novice

Gusher has got a gong

Post by Tighthead Prod »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/northern-ireland/54481137

Yes, he'd put your head away droning on about who was related to whom and was prone to mix up the names of players, but there were and indeed still are, worse commentators on TV. He is an Ulster supporter thru and thru , so well done to Gusher.

PS . I write this despite not being a great supporter of ''the Birthday Day Honours' Charade'' :lol:
http://www.thefru.co.uk Valiant for Truth Justice and the Ulster Way.
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Re: Gusher has got a gong

Post by Neill_M »

He once claimed the legend Mike McComish scored a drop goal for Campbell College in the Schools Cup final.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Great to hear.

Not many characters left these days.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Fair play if that sort of shyte means anything to you. Wouldn't take wan if they paid me. Loads of covid awards - mostly at the base metal end of the scale of course.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

I like Gusher. He's a bit if an eejit sometimes but he's our eejit and an Ulsterman to the core.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

solidarity wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:47 pm I like Gusher. He's a bit if an eejit sometimes but he's our eejit and an Ulsterman to the core.
I'm starting to like Fez as a commentator. Clearly one-eyed but in the right direction :fleg: :fleg:
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

While Fez may be one eyed, avoiding personal identification of those responsible for the follies of the night, -- he doesn't avoid identifying the mistakes and weaknesses. And the fact is he is there to provide the Ulster view point not an unbiased commentary of proceedings.

The unfortunate thing a about gongs is when you see names you don't recognise you seldom have knowledge of the good they have done and when you see names you do know you question the their right of the award -- before others you could think should be recognised.

Having a few relations with gongs I can't scream too hard.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Tighthead Prod
Novice

Post by Tighthead Prod »

rumncoke wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:43 am

The unfortunate thing a about gongs is when you see names you don't recognise you seldom have knowledge of the good they have done and when you see names you do know you question the their right of the award -- before others you could think should be recognised.
Rum , from my experience, one of the unfortunate things about gongs is when you see names you DO rcognise, you SOMETIMES have knowledge of the NO/ LITTLE good they have done, and that throughout their careers it's been SELF service rather than PUBLIC service that has been the dominant motivation.

Like you , I've seen great people in leadership positions who haven't been recognised, primarily because they wouldn't always 'toe the line' by implementing decisions/ policies which they knew to be prejudicial to the raison d'etre of their organisation /profession.
http://www.thefru.co.uk Valiant for Truth Justice and the Ulster Way.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Tighthead Prod wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:02 am
rumncoke wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:43 am

Rum , from my experience, one of the unfortunate things about gongs is when you see names you DO rcognise, you SOMETIMES have knowledge of the NO/ LITTLE good they have done, and that throughout their careers it's been SELF service rather than PUBLIC service that has been the dominant motivation.

Like you , I've seen great people in leadership positions who haven't been recognised, primarily because they wouldn't always 'toe the line' by implementing decisions/ policies which they knew to be prejudicial to the raison d'etre of their organisation /profession.
Some of the "Brexit" appointments have been quite frankly, scandalous. Beefy (or should that be Gammony?) Botham ffs! The erstwhile sporting hero (of mine too, it has to be said) has turned into a reactionary old tosspot who peddles quack health products to pensioners who binge watch Cash in the Attic. Every single award is devalued by cronyism like this.

Did Gusher do anything apart from his job btw?
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

For the price of a dinner he'll compare a fund raiser

I'm the one who defined a" public service Organisation as an organisation run by public servants for the benefit of public servants and the high up the organisation you are the more you benefit.'

Ever public service has a ethos which you must buy into -- which is the bigger we get ,---the better( off) we get .

for eg Local Authorities

Reduce the Number of Authorities -- each new Authority is bigger -- therefore the CEO claims is responsibility is bigger -- his salary should be bigger and the organisation should be bigger -- the collective cost goes up.

Reality is that as the organisation gets bigger responsibility is delegated more and the responsiblity at the top reduces.

The only ability required is to be able to flannel the mistakes behind a wordy mist of apparent expertise and announce that an enquiry and/or investigation has commenced. Those doing the enquiry must use a shot gun (fired at the of hindsight )and not a pistol to ensure no individual is actual held responsible . Many are wounded nobody is killed.
Alister Scott
Steward

Post by Alister Scott »

rumncoke wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:20 pm For the price of a dinner he'll compare a fund raiser
With what?

:roll:
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Alister Scott wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:40 pm
rumncoke wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:20 pm For the price of a dinner he'll compare a fund raiser
With what?

With the price of a dinner?
Big Neville Southall
Alister Scott
Steward

Post by Alister Scott »

big mervyn wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:09 pm
Alister Scott wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:40 pm
With what?

With the price of a dinner?
How many courses, and who will compère the comparison, or even the fund raiser?
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Captain my french letters fail me occasionally which accounts for the off spring we have had ( covid )