Who remembers D-day?

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Who remembers D-day?

Post by big mervyn »

...Decimilizaton Day that is.

I know some of Rum's vintage probably still mourn the loss of the farthing, and possibly even the groat, but this evokes quite strong memories as a 7 year old even 50 years on.

Everybody over a certain age indulged in terminal gurning about how complicated counting to 10 was and how it was all a big scam to increase prices. The equivalent of the stupid f@ckers that voted for Brexit.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Hans Indaruck
Squire

Re: Who remembers D-day?

Post by Hans Indaruck »

I remember it very well Mervyn!

I had a Saturday job in a butchers at the time and had a rare time trying to explain to old dears that their 17 1/2 p (or ‘new pence’ as it was called for some time!) meat parcel was still the same price as the 3s 6d one she got the previous week! My tips suffered greatly!

In fact it did push some prices up as many shops rounded prices up especially to do away with dealing with the tiny 1/2ps .

I still have my pack of ‘new’ decimal currency containing one of each coin!

Fun times!
Hope is not a strategy.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Hans Indaruck wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:53 am I remember it very well Mervyn!

I had a Saturday job in a butchers at the time and had a rare time trying to explain to old dears that their 17 1/2 p (or ‘new pence’ as it was called for some time!) meat parcel was still the same price as the 3s 6d one she got the previous week! My tips suffered greatly!

In fact it did push some prices up as many shops rounded prices up especially to do away with dealing with the tiny 1/2ps .

Fun times!
Yeah. I've got that wee pack in a blue plastic wallet. Plenty spent theirs. 50 noop had considerable purchasing power in '71!
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
WestDr
Novice

Post by WestDr »

And for those who still wonder where the spending power of that 50p went.... "The inflation rate in United Kingdom between 1971 and today (2021) has been 1,157.86%, which translates into a total increase of £1,157.86. This means that 100 pounds in 1971 are equivalent to 1,257.86 pounds in 2021. In other words, the purchasing power of £100 in 1971 equals £1,257.86 today." (https://www.inflationtool.com/british-p ... sent-value). Note: other calculations of UK inflation are available....

I'm sure Jim Allister would have been against it, Gregory Campbell would have complained about the colour of the new 1/2p, 1p and 2p coins (an over-representation of that colour in the coinage of the Crown...) and Sammy Wilson would have continued to try and spend the old ones in shops in Larne... as part of an 'Ulster says No' campaign. Probably only to find that Larne does value money too.... Obviously the Republic had to go decimal on the same day, so Michelle O'Neill's views may well have included the words 'colonial', 'unwelcome sterling supremacy', 'regrettable imperial legacy' etc etc.....
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Aye, inflation went a bit crazy in the 70s - approx 30% at one point!

So 50p in 1971 is the equivalent to £6.29 today. Sounds about right because I seem to remember me da gurning that petrol was 10 bob a gallon 'round about then. You could get a quarter of sherbet lemons for 5p and crisps and quenchers were 2p each. Funny how you remember these things.
Big Neville Southall
Tighthead Prod
Novice

Post by Tighthead Prod »

big mervyn wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:28 am
Hans Indaruck wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:53 am I remember it very well Mervyn!

Fun times!
Yeah. I've got that wee pack in a blue plastic wallet. Plenty spent theirs. 50 noop had considerable purchasing power in '71!
+1 ...still got my blue plastic wallet of new decimal coins; got them from an uncle who was ran a sub post office.
http://www.thefru.co.uk Valiant for Truth Justice and the Ulster Way.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Remember it well. I've got one of the blue wallets somewhere but the money from it is long gone.
Hate to admit it but I got a Honda 90, just over a year later, in the summer of '72. I remember being really frustrated that I couldn't put 50p's worth of petrol in the tank as it just wasn't big enough.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

I don't know what this is but I'm against it.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

June the 6th was my mothers birthday , can't say I Remember D-Day .

Just remember the Telegraph cost something like 10 old pence --which they rounded up to a shilling -- like everything else got rounded up nothing came down in price. -- Which of course was the impetus for strikes for more pay which plagued the 70s until Maggie in her wisdom made the cost of the strike greater than gain to be had from striking.

you had to do a Trial Balance in the Old and then in the New, real joy same with the Puchases Ledger and Sales Ledger .

And yes I do remember the farthing it had a little Wren on it -- you couldn't buy much with it because in truth just after the war the war was nothing much to buy if you didn't have the ration coupons and those were hidden in the drawer or under the mattress and never in your pocket.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
colind
Squire

Post by colind »

My main memory coming out of D-Day was the amusements in Bangor who, rather than change over all their slot machines, would exchange new pennies for old ones as you went in.

No doubt the 'exchange rate' worked greatly in their favour too but I'm too young to remember that bit.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Dave wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:54 pm I don't know what this is but I'm against it.
I don’t know either, but if it was any good then Shane Logan was instrumental in it......according to his CV
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Bart S wrote:
Dave wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:54 pm I don't know what this is but I'm against it.
I don’t know either, but if it was any good then Shane Logan was instrumental in it......according to his CV
Oh yes the Eskimo rep and executive snow salesman to the artic circle. The CV is in stone tablet form, I hear. Did you know he built a stadium with his bare hands?
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
mid ulster maestro
Warrior Chief

Post by mid ulster maestro »

I bet you ten bob you won't be able to guess how long I've been on this desert island!
When the bottom has fallen out of your world.
Take Enos and let the world fall out of your bottom!
mid ulster maestro
Warrior Chief

Post by mid ulster maestro »

I was in a shop at the time and an old dear asked the shopkeeper for 7 pounds of potatoes. "Na. It's kilos now love! explained the shopkeeper. "Alright then I'll have 7 pounds of kilos"
When the bottom has fallen out of your world.
Take Enos and let the world fall out of your bottom!
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

mid ulster maestro wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:20 am I bet you ten bob you won't be able to guess how long I've been on this desert island!
Would that be a note?
Big Neville Southall