What annoys people????

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

WestDr
Novice

Re: What annoys people????

Post by WestDr »

Lurgan Lad wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:51 am Definitely need to change the grading that a specific percentage get each grade each year. So say 5% get A*, 10% A, 20% B etc., because surely the purpose of the grades is to be able to understand who did well and who didn't, and giving everyone A grades doesn't make a lot of sense.
Dear Mr L Lad,

Please find the enclosed which may be of interest to you: https://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/soc ... 0812211063

For a small fee, which will vary each day on demand and thus be both unknown or comparable on a daily basis, your requirements can be addressed. Such events as these can, however, be held in locations nearly west of the Bann for a further fee. Normal COVID-19 restrictions do not apply to these gatherings. Please advise.

Yours etc....
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

You think I could trade in my cycling proficiency certificate c.1966 for a GCSE or two?
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

solidarity wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:00 pm You think I could trade in my cycling proficiency certificate c.1966 for a GCSE or two?
At the current rate of grade inflation, your cycling proficiency certificate is at least the equivalent of the Advanced Driving Test and should substantially reduce your motor insurance premiums :thumleft:

I'm thinking of trading my Gold Arrow badge from the Cubs for an MSc.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

big mervyn wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:59 pm
solidarity wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:00 pm You think I could trade in my cycling proficiency certificate c.1966 for a GCSE or two?
At the current rate of grade inflation, your cycling proficiency certificate is at least the equivalent of the Advanced Driving Test and should substantially reduce your motor insurance premiums :thumleft:

I'm thinking of trading my Gold Arrow badge from the Cubs for an MSc.
Id forgotten about gold arrows. However I had my first aid badge at cubs (a weee handvwith a bandage on it iirc). I'm fairly ertain that qualifies my as a senior consultant in emrgency medicine today.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

What were the 3 colours for cub badges?

1st level was red, then yellow, then green?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

BR wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:48 am What were the 3 colours for cub badges?

God I can't remember.

I can still recite the pledge "I promise that I will do my best ... etc
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

big mervyn wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:02 am
BR wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:48 am What were the 3 colours for cub badges?

God I can't remember.

I can still recite the pledge "I promise that I will do my best ... etc
It isn't 'we will do our best, cubs do their best, we will do our best'. That's my recollection anyway
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

...do my duty to God and to the Queen :roll: and obey the Cub Scout law (whatever that was)

I suspect the wording may have altered over the last 50 years.
Big Neville Southall
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Indoor British bulldog at the cubs was good prep for rugby in the first form. Probably one of he most violent games I've participated in :lol:
Mini rugby is for pussies in comparison.
Big Neville Southall
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

big mervyn wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:18 am ...do my duty to God and to the Queen :roll: and obey the Cub Scout law (whatever that was)

To help other people fitted in somewhere too.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Anyway,

a) People who clap a boundary when it’s blatantly the fortunate result of an edge or other false stroke and

b) People who feel the need to stand up and signal a four...
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

justinr73 wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:47 pm
big mervyn wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:18 am ...do my duty to God and to the Queen :roll: and obey the Cub Scout law (whatever that was)

It actually hasn't changed at all. Hard luck if you're an atheist republican Cub.

I promise that I will do my best
to do my duty to God and to The Queen,
to help other people
and to keep the Cub Scout Law.

Any of you get your Sixer/Seconder stripes? I did 4 hard years in the cubs and commanded the Grey Six.
Big Neville Southall
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

Back to the title of this thread.

People talking about things they admit they can't actually remember.......but still talk about them anyway.FFS!
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

big mervyn wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 5:05 pm
justinr73 wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:47 pm

It actually hasn't changed at all. Hard luck if you're an atheist republican Cub.

I promise that I will do my best
to do my duty to God and to The Queen,
to help other people
and to keep the Cub Scout Law.

Any of you get your Sixer/Seconder stripes? I did 4 hard years in the cubs and commanded the Grey Six.
IIRC Merv is quoting the promise/oath thing that you took before you got the wee purple badge.
Lurgan Lad is quoting the wee rallying call done each night.
Was the law a list of 10 (???) including 'to help other people', 'to do a good deed every day', ...

Yes I was a sixer (yellow) - and then 2 of us (me and Robert from green six) were promoted to 'Senior Sixer' which I believe was an invention of our own pack - a sort of Sergeant Major/Warrant Officer role - where we weren't attached to a particular six - so we got to wear leather woggles and most importantly long trousers.

I did some googling re the badges and it seems the badges progressed from red to yellow to green. I recall having an armful of red and a couple of yellow, not sure if I ever got a green. Jack of all trades; master of none - story of my life.

What were the bronze/silver/gold arrows for? There was also a couple of other general achievement badges (link badge, ...???) There was some award I put in peril when I was suspended for punching someone's lights out one night. Personally I thought I deserved my boxing badge, but his ma didn't see it the same. The whole escapade probably did earn me my diplomacy badge though.

Most of my mates were BB, so, even with the oath to god and the queen - I was pretty much seen as an atheist.
www.stoutboys.co.uk
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

BR wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:40 pm IIRC Merv is quoting the promise/oath thing that you took before you got the wee purple badge.
Lurgan Lad is quoting the wee rallying call done each night.
Was the law a list of 10 (???) including 'to help other people', 'to do a good deed every day', ...

Yes I was a sixer (yellow) - and then 2 of us (me and Robert from green six) were promoted to 'Senior Sixer' which I believe was an invention of our own pack - a sort of Sergeant Major/Warrant Officer role - where we weren't attached to a particular six - so we got to wear leather woggles and most importantly long trousers.

I did some googling re the badges and it seems the badges progressed from red to yellow to green. I recall having an armful of red and a couple of yellow, not sure if I ever got a green. Jack of all trades; master of none - story of my life.

What were the bronze/silver/gold arrows for? There was also a couple of other general achievement badges (link badge, ...???) There was some award I put in peril when I was suspended for punching someone's lights out one night. Personally I thought I deserved my boxing badge, but his ma didn't see it the same. The whole escapade probably did earn me my diplomacy badge though.

Most of my mates were BB, so, even with the oath to god and the queen - I was pretty much seen as an atheist.
Aye, the BB were almost the youth wing of the Salvation Army - a lot of religion and drill. Our church was BB but my Ma was ex Girl Guides so sent me to the Cubs instead. Seemed like a better deal to me. We did a lot more outdoorsy Ray Mears type stuff and no religion

Th arrows were a longer project which typically took about year for each stage. You had to complete about a dozen separate and varied tasks to gain the badge and it got progressively harder from bronze to gold - a bit like kiddy Duke of Edinburgh. Our pack focussed on the arrows whereas others seemd to be more into the proficiency badges.

Oh aye. I do remember somebody getting busted down from Sixer to Seconder for calling somebody a "big spastic" :lol: - not me I hasten to add (neither the "big spastic" or the offender)
Big Neville Southall