Film Review Section *** NEWish ***

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Film Review Section *** NEWish ***

Post by Rooster »

Snipe Watson wrote:John Hurt a magnificent actor. RIP
One of the best if not the best :salut:
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
shamalicious
Lord Chancellor

Post by shamalicious »

T2 Trainspotting. Really enjoyed it, almost tempted to say it was better than the first film. Nostalgic but done well.
Nevin Spence 26 April 1990 – 15 September 2012 gone but never forgotten
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

shamalicious wrote:T2 Trainspotting. Really enjoyed it, almost tempted to say it was better than the first film. Nostalgic but done well.
Watched the original again tonight. Hadn't seen it since it was in the cinemas.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Russ wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:The Girl on the Train is a really good movie. Not is the league of Gone Girl, but worth £6.50.
Interesting price
That's Snipe saying, aye it's good but not worth more than £6.50.

For information only:

The last moving picture I saw on a big screen in a flea pit, I believe cost 11/6, that's eleven shillings and 6 old pence to you toryboy. I detest cinemas, I can only imagine the squalor of sitting with a gob of well chewed gum grabbing onto one strides, sticky armrests, filth all over the place and dumber than dirt young people talking through the filim about the cubed root of fu@k all squared and messaging some dolt that couldn't make it.

Nah, I'll stick to Sean Aloysius O'Fearna's output a while longer.

Did I ever tell you all about Monument Valley? >EW
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

shamalicious wrote:T2 Trainspotting. Really enjoyed it, almost tempted to say it was better than the first film. Nostalgic but done well.
It was indeed.

I'm not one for watching films more than once, apart from classics like the Great Escape and Casablanca, but I've watched the original a few times and Danny Boyle and the chaps did it full justice.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

I'm glad it seems to have worked. I, like many, was concerned it would be sihte. A difficult line to be trod between nostalgia, homage, characature, psis-take and exploitation.

I liked the story Boyle told of the onlooker while filming - "Here Danny! You better not fúck this up!". Sums it up nicely.

On the recommendation of this forum, I may revisit the cinema for this one. (Despite already being there this month; and despite the disappointment arising from said visit).
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

It was very good. The original is a classic, was afraid T2 would be a let down, but it was well done with some very funny bits.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Image...
www.stoutboys.co.uk
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

For information purposes: I shall not be going to see Trainspattin'2 since I never saw Trainspattin'wan, so I assume it would be full of meaningless references. I had given up going to the filims by that stage.

A collectors item: in 1973/74 I was unlucky enough to be based in Larne, my first post in the Userers business. It was the worst piece of mess I have ever seen, a most horrid wee shitehole with absolutely nothing to do in winter months. I visited the Regal Cinema twice a week, the only thing in its favour being it changed filims on a Wednesday from memory, such was the dearth of other possible entertainment. Utter crap like Kung Fu filims & garbage like Shaft.

Saw enough shyte films in that 18 months to do me for life. Munched my way through half a pound of chocolate coated Brazil nuts twice a week. Christ what a grim place, summer slightly better when I played a bit of golf at Cairndhu and shagged one of the barmaids on and off, despite the fact we didn't much like each other, must have been rutting season. That apart nothing remotely memorable happened in Larne.

Good night little Britain, sleep well. :sleeping:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Perhaps we share a similar dislike of cinemas (I do attend on rare occasions, but always under protest). The common link is the Regal.
www.stoutboys.co.uk
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

BR wrote:Image...
Didn't work :(
www.stoutboys.co.uk
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Too mysterious BR, I'd been about to get Alan Turing on the job, then realised he's tatey.

IN fairness, when I saw the word "tappyballix" I turned away in revulsion. :D
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

BaggyTrousers wrote:Too mysterious BR, I'd been about to get Alan Turing on the job, then realised he's tatey.

IN fairness, when I saw the word "tappyballix" I turned away in revulsion. :D
With tippy-tappy-over-the-bridge, it displays an image from the thread along with the thread subject. Hence when I scroll down through the list of threads, I see JCC's picture (previously used in this thread). Given the age we are at, his appearance on this forum is enough to make me shudder.

I don't know how the particular image is selected for each thread, and was hoping that a newer image from the thread may replace it. Hence my scribblings. However it does not appear to have succeeded.

For those not using tap-and-go, please ignore me.
www.stoutboys.co.uk
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

BaggyTrousers wrote:I'd been about to get Alan Turing on the job, then realised he's tatey.
Probably just as well, if he were alive today and witnessed the use his computing theory was being put to by the likes of this forum, it would probably be enough for him to top himself (allegedly).
www.stoutboys.co.uk
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

BR wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:I'd been about to get Alan Turing on the job, then realised he's tatey.
Probably just as well, if he were alive today and witnessed the use his computing theory was being put to by the likes of this forum, it would probably be enough for him to top himself (allegedly).
:lol: :lol: :lol: Probably true, but on the brightside doubtless he would be relieved that he is no longer a petty criminal faggit***.

You know what puts the great into Great Britain? No me neither. Even the name of the "country" makes me hate the English. Describing GB/UK as a country is just an implicit English notion that the rest of the 2/3 countries are just subservient little non-entities. NI & Wales have little real alternative, D4 can't afford us. but were I a Scot I'd be for independence like a flash, economically ideal time or, as it happens, probably not.

FFFS, I see the word fag-got is censored, I was about to describe the fine fag-got and mash I had a lunchtime.
Last edited by BaggyTrousers on Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.