Rory McIlroy

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Rory McIlroy

Post by Shan »

Needless to say I missed the golf tonight with the rugby on so I don't know how both he and Clark played but delighted he is still going strong.Next up is Geoff Ogilvy I believe.It would be fantastic to see him go all the way but it's a big ask at this early stage of his career.No matter what he has now firmly announced his arrival on the world stage to the American as well as European golfing community.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
fuzzylogic
Lord Chancellor

Post by fuzzylogic »

RORY McILROY is tipped to become the world No 1 by Ernie Els.

The Ulster teen sensation tamed Tiger-slayer Tim Clark 4&3 yesterday to reach the quarter-finals at the WGC Accenture Match Play Championship in Tucson.

South African star Els said: “Rory really has it all and he could become the best.

“I think that you’re looking at the next world No 1 with him. He’s got all the tools.”

McIlroy, 19, faces Aussie Geoff Ogilvy in the quarters.

And he admitted it was “probably a good thing” he did not have to face his hero, Tiger Woods — knocked out by Clark on Thursday.

He said: “I’ll be the first to say that if I stood on the first tee with Tiger I would be intimidated.”

As for being top dog, world No 16 McIlroy added: “I still have a long way to go.

“My main goal is to try to get in the top 10. If I can do that, I’ll try to get to No 2 and then we’ll see when Tiger comes back fit and strong.”

Ex-Open and Masters champ Mark O’Meara declared before McIlroy’s stunning maiden victory in Dubai last month that the teen ace is “probably better than Tiger was at 19” and US fans have now made him their favourite.

McIlroy, who reached over £900,000 in career winnings faster than any other player, led the charge of the Brits.

Wentworth’s Ross Fisher cruised past former US Open champ Jim Furyk 4&3 and will face Justin Leonard.

The former Open champ beat Oliver Wilson on the first play-off hole after the battling Mansfield ace birdied the 18th.

Ryder Cup star Paul Casey beat Swede Peter Hanson 4&2 to set up a clash with American Sean O’Hair, who beat England’s Ian Poulter 2&1.

Els edged past Luke Donald to seal a meeting with American Stewart Cink.

Donald, who missed most of last season because of an injury to his left wrist, felt a sharp twinge and did not want to further risk it so conceded to Els on the final hole.

Meanwhile, Woods will be “better than ever” at The Masters in April, according to his coach Hank Haney.

The world No 1 put his left knee and new swing to the test here after an eight-month injury lay-off. Haney said: “It’s not a real bold prediction — he won the US Open on one leg.”
Mary had a little lamb . . .
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Unfortunately Rory was defeated by Geoff Ogilvy in the quarter final 2&1.Still it's a good tournament for him and all part of a learning curve.After three victories he knows he can compete with the cream of the US Tour which hopefully will help him to have a good US Masters.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Excellent performance from Rory in the US PGA to finish joint third alongside Lee Westwood.

Unfortunately Harrington who was well in contention took 8 at a par three to dash his hopes.
WhiteKnightoftheWeld
Lord Chancellor

Post by WhiteKnightoftheWeld »

you'd think padraig had never won anything as opposed to 3 majors?
last week and then in USPGA he's in contention in final round, then utterly utterly ># s up on one hole
quad bogey at bridgestone
quintiple bogey on a par 3 last night.

superb play on 18th by yang to win that 2nd shot was unreal
rory still needs a haircut. wee slacker.
Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Oops!

Has Rory been training with the Ulster squad prior to The Masters?
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:Oops!

Has Rory been drinking and partying with the Ulster squad prior to The Masters?
Some people think that's all they do Grumps.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Rooster wrote:
Cap'n Grumpy wrote:Oops!

Has Rory been drinking and partying with the Ulster squad prior to The Masters?
Oh no I DIDN'T!

Am actually quite disappointed for the lad - I hope he bounces back.

Graeme McD seemed to be making a fist of it for a while before imploding too!
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Poor day for all three Irish golfers with none of them making the cut.

Westwood and Poulter doing extremely well thus far at 8 under but the two big guns, Woods and Mickelson, are lurking on 6 under.

I backed Mickelson at 10/1 for this so hopefully he can go on and win. Hope Woods doesn't win anyway, the dirty swine :)

Wouldn't mind seeing Westwood win if Mickelson doesn't.He seems like a decent bloke and he is a class golfer, apart from his putting which has always held him back a little.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Go on Mickelson ya feckin good thing.
Freddie Benson
Lord Chancellor

Post by Freddie Benson »

yep, pretty awesome performance it has to be said. Don't think Westwood could have done too much more.

I've never been a fan of Woods - his on course behaviour has left a lot to be desired long long before his off course shenanigans came to light. And he was at it again yesterday, stomping off before Choi finished out etc etc. He really is an ar$e.
No longer the Celtic League winning coach
cables
Lord Chancellor

Post by cables »

100%

I have called him Sour Puss for many years now.
Illegitimi Non Carborundum
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Freddie Benson wrote:yep, pretty awesome performance it has to be said. Don't think Westwood could have done too much more.

I've never been a fan of Woods - his on course behaviour has left a lot to be desired long long before his off course shenanigans came to light. And he was at it again yesterday, stomping off before Choi finished out etc etc. He really is an ar$e.
Spot on FB.

I never took to Woods either. He is too miserable and has no respect for the other players and only interacts with the crowd on his terms.

Mickelson comes across as the total opposite. A decent guy who plays the game with a smile on his face.

A work colleague was telling me she was in America last year and went to the practice day of the US Open, I think, and said Mickelson was brilliant with the crowd signing autographs and chatting away for about half an hour.Woods probably wouldn't even look at them the moody pr1ck.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Phil Mickelson is a great bloke and he is some player. That shot out of the trees at 13, as good a shot as I have ever seen played.
WhiteKnightoftheWeld
Lord Chancellor

Post by WhiteKnightoftheWeld »

Beginning of this season there was a regulation change that meant grooves in clubs had to be a certain design. It was designed to reduce the amount of spin a player could put on a ball.

Mickelson, master of the short game, was obviously going to be affected by this more than most. A clause however gave him a loophole - if the club was 20 years old or more you could still play with it. Cue Mickelson (and several others including Harrington) digging out an old club and using it.

Caused a bit of fuss and a number of tour players became quite spirited about it - the term cheat was definitely used. Certainly in the rules, but not in the spirit of the rules...

Anyhow, Mickelson came out and announced he would no longer use the club, out of respect to his fellow professionals who had supported him and his family during his wife's illness.

It's things like this that make me respect Mickelson more than a lot of his contemporaries.
Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious.