Petrol Prices 2009/2025- post updates here

Who needs ebay?

Moderator: Moderators

waggonsroll
Initiate

Re: Petrol Prices 2009/2020 - post updates here

Post by waggonsroll »

volvo wrote:Hi Solids
Normal 95 octane petrol contains 5% Bioethanol this is a renewable fuel additive and is a by product of sugar it helps to clean the exhaust emissions of a petrol car. E 10 contains 10% Bioethanol and is introduced to try and help reduce pollution.
If your car was made after 2011 you will have no problem using E10 but it is a bit less economical than E5 and can affect performance. All cars from 2000 were approved to use E10 but it wasn't sorted right until after 2010. (believe me)
If you aren't happy with the performance or mpg of E10 I suggest you use 98 octane petrol slightly more expensive but better economy and performance and no BioEthanol and creates less pollution as you aint using as much.

Hope this helps!
Another thing I've read about the E10 fuel is that it can adversely affect rubber and plastic compounds when it sits without fuel movement for a period. This shouldn't really affect cars but could be serious in lawnmowers and other garden machinery. I'll make extra sure I drain the tank on my mower after the final cut of the year.

Sent from my 5001D_EEA using Tapatalk

volvo
Novice

Post by volvo »

In lawnmowers and small 4 stroke machinery if you use E10 petrol add 10cc of mineral engine oil to a 5 litre petrol drum and give it a shake to mix, the E 10 will be neutralised and will not cause a problem if left in the tank or carb of the machine (just a tip)
waggonsroll
Initiate

Post by waggonsroll »

volvo wrote:In lawnmowers and small 4 stroke machinery if you use E10 petrol add 10cc of mineral engine oil to a 5 litre petrol drum and give it a shake to mix, the E 10 will be neutralised and will not cause a problem if left in the tank or carb of the machine (just a tip)
Thanks for that. I'll be getting some mineral engine oil.

solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Thanks for all that, Volvo, not least cause we can't have the lawnmower packing up before the last cut of the year.
waggonsroll
Initiate

Post by waggonsroll »

solidarity wrote:Thanks for all that, Volvo, not least cause we can't have the lawnmower packing up before the last cut of the year.
Don't think you will here. Although E10 petrol has been introduced in GB I thought it wasn't coming here till next year.

volvo
Novice

Post by volvo »

Hi Waggons

You are technically correct according to the current information being published but I would be a bit sceptical about what grade would be supplied to N.I. a very small market in UK terms as I said in a previous post a small amount of mineral oil 10cc to 5 lts is a fail safe way of ensuring lubrication of valves even in modern engines designed to accept using E5 petrol.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Cheers Volvo.

I'm assuming you have some background inthis stuff.

Can i ask what the prob with using E10 in an old engine?

How will it manifest itself? Suddenly or gradually over time or miles ?

Trying to decide if i should switch to high octane for my old car which does low miles and is coming to the end of its life anyway. Dont wan to kill it, but theres prob only another 5k left in it.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Some coherent government strategy would ge useful but are your your thoughts on the transition from diesel/petrol and the best option for those changing a motor in the next year or so. Is a plug-in hybrid a good interim option?
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
volvo
Novice

Post by volvo »

Hi BR and Merv
The problem is similar to if you remember the transition from leaded petrol to unleaded. Some older cars then couldn't be run on the new unleaded mainly because removing lead (a lubricant) caused excess heat to build up on the valves and valve seats (these are the mechanism that allows the timing of the petrol to be injected into the engine called inlet valves and allows the burnt exhaust gas to be passed out of the combustion chamber exhaust valves)if this wasn't done then the lack of lubrication caused the valves and seats to burn and become pitted thus dropping the engine compression and causing power loss and costly repairs.
To get over this problem an expensive modification had to be done on an older engine consisting of removing the cylinder head ,stripping out the original valves ,machining the valve seat (i.e. the aperture that the valves sealed into) fitting new hardened valves that required no lead lubrication.
E5 petrol has as explained a 5% content of Bioethanol by increasing this to 10% causes the heat in the combustion chamber(where the valves do their work) to increase and possibly cause like original unleaded to burn out the valves.
BR in your engine I would suggest either using 98 octane every fill or at least every other fill if your car is an older model there will definitely be wear in the valves already and using E10 will certainly accelerate its demise.
Merv I have just changed the wife's car to a new diesel hybrid with adblue, best of both worlds at the moment, plug in hybrids are fine but expensive and technology is changing weekly, a diesel or petrol hybrid (not plug in) allows the engine to charge the batteries making the vehicle far more economical and with the adblue (urea additive) in a diesel engine that cleans the emissions so greener. Adblue (urea) is a proven diesel additive that has been used in trucks for well over 12 years and now adapted for car engines all the testing and trials have been done and it works.
Hope this long narrative helps.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Cheers.

Sounds like i will switch to 98 when I fill the tank.
And that will mitigate against my daughter using E10 when she sticks a fiver in.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Yes thanks Volvo. Sounds like good advice👍.

The motor trade is a bit of a minefield at the minute for non petrol-heads.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
volvo
Novice

Post by volvo »

Happy to help- Perhaps we need a UAFC Petrol Head advise thread :D
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

:shock: UREA??? :shock:
'Urea serves an important role in the metabolism of nitrogen-containing compounds by animals and is the main nitrogen-containing substance in the urine of mammals.' https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urea So... if I add dog pee to my petrol, life looks good?
volvo
Novice

Post by volvo »

That is correct Solids its refined pigs pi$h also used in making farm artificial fertiliser and that was used until semtex was invented for making most of the bombs used in Norn Irn

The Nitrogen contained in the Urea helps eliminate the impurities expelled when diesel fuel is burned in an internal combustion engine,so two birds with one stone as too much Nitrogen in the ground or in water raises the Ph of both and is detrimental to soil and water quality.
HwoodMike2umate
Lord Chancellor

Post by HwoodMike2umate »

Still 125.9 at Tesco ( Knocknagoney) and 131.9 at Tesco (Ballymena).
http://www.cryptome.org/

Klaatu barada nikto

Nollaig Shona Daoibh